quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Summer time, and the living is (more or less) easy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > life beyond the smokescreen
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greatly

Quit Date:
September 18, 2004

PostPosted: February 19, 2005 7:38 AM    Post subject: Summer time, and the living is (more or less) easy. Reply with quote

Hello from sunny Australia to all my friends at the site. I have not written for a while, but you are - all of you - regularly in my thoughts and prayers.

It is with great humility and immense gratitude to yourselves that I can report my up-coming seven-month mark of smoke-free living - (July 23, 2004 - February 23, 2005.)

I don't need to tell you that it has not been easy. Every day was a struggle, some days strugglier than others!

But I am now at the stage when I think of myself as a non-smoker, not as a smoker who is not smoking. Because of my domestic circumstances, I have cigarettes continually available to me, but they are irrelevant to me and my life and my new, healthy way of thinking, and I never have the slightest inclination to touch them.

In the last couple of weeks, I have had my share of crisis and anxiety, involving my daughter giving birth to her first baby in harrowing and life-threatening circumstances. But even in the midst of all that, I had, thank god, no significant inclination to smoke. In my "old" thinking, I would have indulged incessantly - (and of course achieved nothing by doing this!)

The purpose of this post is two-fold: (1) I could not have done this without you, and I thank you most sincerely for your loving solidarity and encouragement. (2) I want it to be known that, if I can do it, anyone can. I smoked for forty years, and tried for about 38 of those years to give it up.

And therefore I say: be of good cheer, think thoughts of peace and tranquility, and refuse to contemplate the possibility of permanent failure.

With fondest love and profound appreciation

Fraternally

- Ron in Australia (aka Greatly)

With God's help and yours, I have been free for one whole day. I hope I can say the same thing tomorrow. There is no time BUT the present!
Backfist

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: February 19, 2005 8:12 AM    Post subject: woohoo Reply with quote

Hello Greatly! Congrats on that great quit you have going for you! It only gets better and better!

Dekie
2Y+
Fightn4life

Quit Date:
October 23, 2003

PostPosted: February 19, 2005 9:53 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is wonderful to hear from you again. And that seven month quit. Wow, I knew you could do this.

It is odd when you have decided that you are ready to quit for life even the smokes that a loved one has around cannot call you back.

You are awesome for saying no to the demon even when it is right at your fingertips every day. I have been there and I am still there, it just proves again that we are so much bigger than our addictions.

We can beat the odds my friend...you are doing it.

Quote:
In the last couple of weeks, I have had my share of crisis and anxiety, involving my daughter giving birth to her first baby in harrowing and life-threatening circumstances. But even in the midst of all that, I had, thank god, no significant inclination to smoke. In my "old" thinking, I would have indulged incessantly - (and of course achieved nothing by doing this!)

This is so important to me as I am faced with a family crisis and too choose not cower to the demon. Like you said…
Quote:
that was your old thinking
. It is the ways we have chosen to change our thinking that has kept us free.

I pray you are the proud grandfather and everyone is doing well.

Thinking about you today with fondness...and sending a huge hello to Mrs Greatly. Very Happy

Sandyz
free for 486 days!

"Keep your heart open to dreams. For as long as there's a dream, there is hope, and as long as there is hope, there is joy in living."

~Anonymous
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: February 19, 2005 10:46 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Cheers to both you and the Mrs!

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: February 19, 2005 11:01 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

It' great to hear from you, Ron. I've been a little concerned about you and the Mrs.

You wrote something that made me stop and think (not always an easy thing for me to do). You wrote that you now feel like a non-smoker and no longer like a smoker who is not smoking. I, too, feel that way but hadn't really given it any thought. The idea of smoking now is very disgusting, almost sickening. Thanks for opening my eyes to the difference in the two.

Hope you and your family are doing well and that the new grandchild is thriving. Please don't be a stranger -- post often.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: February 19, 2005 11:37 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to see you, ron! congratulations on your continued freedom, and on your new grandchild (is this your first? was it a boy or a girl? c'mon, mate, we need some details)! Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
justdebbie

Quit Date:
August 1, 2004

PostPosted: February 19, 2005 12:09 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Ron, on the seven months of freedom!!! Also congrats on the new grandchild!

Thanks for the post
Deb
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: February 19, 2005 7:00 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greatly, so good to hear from you. A new grandchild. Are they wonderful! Congrats on your first seven months of freedom!

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: February 19, 2005 7:44 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and congrats on your great quit and new grandchild...they are so wonderful...tiring but wonderful...boy or girl, there is nothing like them!
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
Leona

Quit Date:
June 1, 2017

PostPosted: February 20, 2005 12:06 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron,

So nice to hear from you. I have been wonder how things are going there in Australia. So you are a grandpa. Is this a first time grandpa or is this an ongoing thing? Do you have a girl grandbaby or a boy grandbaby? WE would love to see a picture of the little tike. Tell mrs greatly hello for us and we would love to hear from her too.

You take care of yourself and congrats on 7 months.

I knew you could do this. Very Happy

Quiting smoking is like a fine wine ......
It just gets better with age.
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: February 22, 2005 11:00 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ron! So happy to hear from you. Aren't grandchildren wonderful? Mine is visiting right now. Like Kevin says, give us details!

God Bless!

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
kjsblue

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: February 23, 2005 10:30 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ron! Congrats on 7 months and the new grandbaby! Smile

Kris
Six months, two weeks, one day, 7 hours, 56 minutes and 42 seconds. 3986 cigarettes not smoked, saving $797.49. Life saved: 1 week, 6 days, 20 hours, 10 minutes.

If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it -- William Arthur Ward

Q.D. August 8th, 2004
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: February 24, 2005 7:01 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ron,
It's great to hear from you!! Congratulatins on 7 months! Very Happy

I was gone from woofmang for a while, but am now returned to the fold and am still quit, also. Like you, I perceive myself as a Non-Smoker, which is a bit like a miracle.

Congrats on the grandbaby, too! And say hello from me to Mrs. Greatly.

Friends in the Quit,
Margaret
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > life beyond the smokescreen All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: