quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Does Anyone Know How To Make Smoothies?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 3, 2005 11:16 PM    Post subject: Does Anyone Know How To Make Smoothies? Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to make these? Would appreciate any recipes, names of cookbooks (is there one for smoothies?), or any other info! Very Happy

Thanks! Smile

Margaret

P.S. My physical therapist wants me to start these every day--any flavor--but with fruit and protein powder. Bought one at a Smoothie Bar today. Wow, was I ever fueled after--good energy! Cool But I haven't a clue how to make them. Got a super--duper blender that will do everything. Just need to know what to put in it! Wink
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 3, 2005 11:55 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to get the strawberry-flavored protein powder at gnc (milk and egg protein; i hated the taste of the soy powder), then i'd get either fresh (in season) or frozen strawberries and some bananas at the supermarket; put milk and powder in the blender, add a banana, a handful of strawberries, and a couple of cubes of ice and blend away...

if that doesn't appeal, you can pretty much use any kind of fruit you like (you'll have to experiment with the proportions), but the basic idea is the same.

if you want some other recipes, you can try looking here... Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: March 4, 2005 12:27 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret I'm sorry I forgot to answer this. I know that you pm'd me on this. I don't have recipes for smoothies, maybe you're thinking of someone else but I'll bet you can find tons online. Best of luck!! Kerry
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 4, 2005 1:31 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

THanks, Kevin. I really appreciate it. Very Happy I copied yours to my Food Folder. I liked the link a lot, too. Will try some of those, too.

I used to make a drink with milk, raw egg yolks, honey, and a hypoallergic protein powder (made from brown rice and "things", but the taste is yukky). I didn't realize this might qualitfy as a smoothie. The PT wants fruit in it too, and lots of it.

Because the one I bought this p.m. was so powerful, I thought maybe I didn't know what they were, and maybe I don't.

Anyway, got one more question? If it's not too much of a bother? Can a person get TOO MUCH PROTEIN? Or get high on a smoothie!? Rolling Eyes I know it sounds ridiculous, but I feel like it happened. I was soo energized and started to really "fly", and when I got home was very hungry and ate homecooked food--steak, potato, brussel sprouts, salad--and the TASTE was incredible! Never knew food tastes so good. So I thought, well the Quit is getting better than I ever dreamed! Now an hour or so later, I have crashed, and have a splitting Migraine, so I had something not good for me in the Smoothie. Wondering if it could be the protein? Too much? I was careful to get protein with NO SOY. because I am allergic to soy.

I am still going to do those smoothies!! Very Happy I just wondered about the protein, because of the extraordinary energy level--gosh, I felt like I was doing steroids or something. Laughing Is this normal for a protein boost?

(The fruit in it was peaches, bananas, strawberries, and apple juice. Could this be too much fruit sugar?)

Thanks,
Margaret
JamesP

Quit Date:
November 3, 2003

PostPosted: March 4, 2005 3:31 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I one suggestion of what NOT to use in a smoothie: any berry that has lots of seeds (marion berry, blackberry, raspberry). The seeds get crushed in the blender and taste a little bitter. Also, they get stuck in your teeth!

My favorite recipe:

Soy protein powder
Milk
A little orange juice
a banana
Frozen blueberries
A little nonfat yogurt

Good luck!

James

Enjoy your quit -- it's the last one you'll ever have!
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: March 4, 2005 9:04 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Ontario you jam some berries a banana some yogurt and any type of booze you fancy. Get your towel out and lay by the lake. Drink these till you can no longer get up unassisted: crawl home and start over the next day. Laughing

Try this site it has scads of recipe's:
www.recipezaar.com/rvw/196/+%22smoothies+recipe%22&hl=en

I'm a NON-SMOKER thanks to everyone here
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 4, 2005 10:43 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like melody's recipe; sounds like a plan!

margaret: although it is possible to get too much protein, i've never heard of the kind of reaction you describe being caused by protein; usually, too much protein makes you logy (because it takes so much energy to break down). what you describe sounds like a sugar high/crash to me. gotta watch those simple carbs...

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 4, 2005 1:25 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin, thanks. I think you are right; it was a sugar "High"--wow, never knew you could actually get "drunk" on sugar, but that particular Smoothie had only apple juice (fresh and no water) plus all that fruit and was in a huge container.

I noticed the effects begin almost right away, which makes me think sugar. By the time I finished the first part of PT (manipulation and exercise) and was ready for the treadmill, I was "flying" then added more endorphins by staying on the treadmill a lot longer, just for the fun of it! Very Happy

Great trip! Very Happy To bad it ended in a crash, but I've noticed that too much of any brain chemical--even the good ones--can cause a migraine. Sad

But now that I'm on the track of "happiness through Smoothies" I can experiment and find the right mixes! Cool Very Happy

Margaret

P.S. OH, yes, and they're healthy, too. Almost forgot the purpose, here! Laughing
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 4, 2005 1:43 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone, thanks for the yummy recipes and good info! Very Happy

Melody, what a great idea! We have a lake here, too, but don't think I can crawl the 10 blocks home (but that's why God invented taxi's Laughing ). Then, too, there's the patio outside! And the link is terrific! Very Happy

James, thank you for that warning! I would not like seeds in my teeth, a pet peeve of mine! Your recipe sounds good, too Very Happy --I love blueberries. (Always have to leave out the yogart in all recipes or substitute--with the kind of Migraine I get, I cannot have anything that germinates: yogart, nuts, beer Sad , etc., but there is lots of other good stuff!)

Happy healthy drinking!

Margaret
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: March 5, 2005 3:15 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thanks Margaret for bringing this up. I'm going to the grocery store today to get some ingredients for some smoothies.

Blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: