quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

quitnet repost: "quitzits" explained

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > life beyond the smokescreen
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 1, 2005 10:13 AM    Post subject: quitnet repost: "quitzits" explained Reply with quote

chris is a scientist (chemist) by trade, a writer by avocation, and a long-time "q-ster" (quitnet slang for a quitter or a member of quitnet). he wrote a series of articles on various quit phenomena, such as "crs (can't remember sh*t) syndrome", "quitzits", and "quitulence" (do i have to explain that?). here's another of those articles:

----

The question was recently sent in to our laboratory, "Now that I've quit smoking, why am I getting acne like I'm a danged teenager?!" Well, have a seat and the Science Dork will do his best to fill you in.

<Cue dream sequence music and spinning spiral...>

As we've all learned, the act of smoking introduces all kinds of nasty pollutants into our bodies. Being the miracles of nature that they are, our bodies adjust as best they can and do whatever they can to shed the nasty chemical toxins we pour into them with every puff we take on a cigarette. Unfortunately, each cigarette we smoke retards the detoxification process that our bodies are *trying* to engage in. The net effect is an accumulation of toxins inside our bodies along with a shift in the chemical balance inside us (including our hormones.)

One day, we quit smoking. This is a Good Thing but, as we have also learned, it throws our bodies into an upheaval. Suddenly the chemical balance is thrown out of whack again while, at the same time, our bodies start the detoxification process. You've heard people tell new Quitsters to "drink lots of water to help flush out all the toxins". This is good advice and it helps a great deal. However, it's just not fast enough for you body when begins to excrete the toxins in any way it can. Sometimes the toxins are ejected through the soft tissues inside our mouths and through the pores. This causes the well-known Quitzits many Quitsters suffer from. It can also cause tremendous mouth discomfort as cold sores and canker sores erupt inside the mouth and on the lips. This coupled with the hormonal changes that happen (akin to the changes that happen during a woman's menstual cycle, another time when she's likely to experience more acne than is typical) can lead to some pretty pimply periods. Sore throats are also quite common during this time.

There is also some evidence that there are chemical agents absorbed from cigarette smoke that inhibit the formation of cold sores which only makes their occurence more likely once you Quit. Finally, many Quitsters suffer from Quitstipation. Since this slow downs a major toxin shedding process, this is one less avenue for the body to rid itself of the nasty chemicals it has been absorbing. If it's any consolation, smoking Quitsters aren't the only people to experience this phenomenon - recovering heroin addicts have been known to develop raging cases of acne, too.

As with all the other negative side effects of smoking cessation, the best thing to do is just wait it out. In the meantime, consider lowering your toxin load by eating more nutritious, healthy foods, especially high-fiber foods. Also, drink as much water as you can. It really does help to flush your system. You may also want to invest in some Oxy10 to take care of that third eye on your cheek ;^)

Chris the Science Geek

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 1, 2005 11:11 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kevin!

Just more healing process to embrace instead of dread.
More water please.....let flush this toxic stuff out of here! Wink

Smiles

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
Deb

Quit Date:
February 5, 2010

PostPosted: March 1, 2005 8:22 PM    Post subject: Thank's Reply with quote

Kevin,

Thank's for the info. I guess i can say that I experienced these issues back into my last quit. I felt like a teenager with the acne problem and I was also bound up to the point that I thought I would explode.

I will now stock up on clearasil and prunes Very Happy

Thanks again

Deb
kjsblue

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 2, 2005 10:07 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes! the quitzits! Shocked I've had my share of those Laughing I believe I am finally getting a handle on the problem ~ however have accumulated my share of battle wounds! Laughing Laughing All is well though as I now know it was just another sign of healing Wink

Kris
Six months, three weeks, one day, 7 hours, 29 minutes and 33 seconds. 4126 cigarettes not smoked, saving $825.41. Life saved: 2 weeks, 7 hours, 50 minutes.

If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it -- William Arthur Ward

Q.D. August 8th, 2004
Fightn4life

Quit Date:
October 23, 2003

PostPosted: March 9, 2005 8:49 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank goodness I missed the quitzits...I did have the ongoing Sore throat, and the horrible canker sores.

Guess most of my toxins were released in gasses. Now thats a gas? Shocked Shocked

I am glad this has been aired out...I thought it was me. Very Happy

Sandyz

"Keep your heart open to dreams. For as long as there's a dream, there is hope, and as long as there is hope, there is joy in living."

~Anonymous
exsmoker

Quit Date:
October 14, 2007

PostPosted: April 3, 2005 10:01 AM    Post subject: Excellent Post Reply with quote

That explains alot. I had the acne (finally slowing down) And now I have a cold sore and a canker sore that just wont leave. HUh Had a feeling this was normal but wasnt 100% sure. Thank you for the post. Hope it all ends soon. I mean this is imbarassing. LOL Laughing

Diane
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
eastcoastraven

Quit Date:
April 15, 2005

PostPosted: April 23, 2005 11:47 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy no physical symptoms more just a bad attitude...but im working on that

-You are stronger than you ever thought you could be! Dont give up/In -
-Raven-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Marigrrl

Quit Date:
December 1, 2010

PostPosted: July 6, 2005 2:05 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

quitzits! that explains a lot!

^_^

Follow Your Bliss
NotKool2smoke

Quit Date:
September 9, 2005

PostPosted: September 13, 2005 12:21 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

This kinda sucks to hear, because I have suffered from acne my adult life. Yep, didnt have bad acne til my 20's ( now almost 40). However, I am hoping that it will have a reverse affect on me. In 3 days only my skin actually looks better and clearer. Maybe the smoking exasberated my skin. I expect some break-outs from the toxins,but maybe it won't happen. We'll see. Small price to pay, and nothing Im not used to. Proactive is a good product to use, believe me, I know. Lisa
Ravchik

Quit Date:
December 13, 2005

PostPosted: December 14, 2005 11:52 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

*{Chugging water like crazy}* Wow, good to know--had a feeling something was a tad bit off.. Thanks for the info--hey, those in my life will just have to adjust! Either that, or I'll be sent outside for a totally different reason.. Very Happy
Take care,
Vicki S. (good thing I live alone!!)
Simone

Quit Date:
April 28, 2005

PostPosted: February 27, 2006 12:16 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read this & I can so relate I was wondeing why my perfectly clear skin face & body had broken out since I quit.

My back is Just clearing up as I was horrified to have big huge pimples on my back & blind ones on my face.

I still after nearly 11months I still get the occasional sore throat.

On the ''Monthly subject'' (sorry gentlemen )it has never been so painless.

But muy gut is still in a bad way awaiting the stupid endoscope-yep on the waiting list yet again....waht a terrible public health system we have here Scowling Demon

Tons of spring water & V8 veggie juice helps.
Free

Quit Date:
May 12, 2006

PostPosted: July 26, 2006 11:04 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am breaking out so bad. It is painful. I don't know what to do. We do not have health insurance at the moment. Ugh. Any home remedies? Any advice?

Become addicted to constant and never ending self improvement.

The difference between a mountain and a molehill is your perspective.

Realize that true happiness lies within you.
yommytec

Quit Date:
August 11, 2009

PostPosted: October 27, 2011 2:09 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truly quitting smoking have both it pros and cons but the pros outweigh the cons.
hamelame

Quit Date:
April 4, 2001

PostPosted: November 19, 2011 3:35 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

really, can you tell us stop smoking cons ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > life beyond the smokescreen All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: