quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Deep thoughts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tsjay49

Quit Date:
January 1, 2004

PostPosted: March 29, 2005 12:05 AM    Post subject: Deep thoughts Reply with quote

I guess you guys are expecting something that will make ya chuckle, which often is my objective in posting. I do enjoy making people laugh, but that's not what this post is intended to do.

I have been having some very sad thoughts lately about how my life has flown by up to this point and how that I am probably way past the halfway point of my days here on earth. I'm probably entering the last one third of my life at this point.

So, what have I accomplished? What difference has my life made? What was the reason I was put here? What ever happened to those carefree childhood days? They seem like only yesterday.

I've always been one to take things as they come, and deep thinking about the meaning of life is not something that I have previously engaged in. I have always been sort of happy go lucky, with no thought for the future and very little for the past. I have lived for the moment, and I don't mean that in a negative sort of way. To a large extent, that's what we should do, I guess.

I don't know if it has anything at all to do with not smoking any more, or if I would have started feeling this way whether I quit smoking or not.

I just feel that the best times of my life are behind me. I long for those days again when I really didn't have a care in the world.

I believe in Eternity, and I know that my soul is safe in the hands of the Lord. I put my trust in Christ many years ago for the salvation of my soul. I have not been a church goer for a number of years, but I am a believer none the less. Just got bored with organized religion.

I know my soul is secure for the next life, but I STILL have to wonder about this life here on earth. What was/is the purpose? What will these last few years bring?

Oh well, that's what bugs me, my friends. I'll get over it and get on with it, I'm sure.

Tom

If a person with Multiple Personality Disorder threatens suicide, is that considered a hostage situation?
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 29, 2005 12:24 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

Whether we quit or not has nothing to do with what you're feeling and pondering. Somewhere along the journey of life, we all come to these questions. Tom, you could be only half way thru your life. You may live to 100, you never know. That's the beauty of it. We don't know. We are to live each day in the fullest. Touching and enriching lives as we go. You have a granddaughter who is beautiful. If you're only purpose was to be so that she would be....that would be the greatest gift. Life!!! You have passed on life, love, and joy and touched so many. That is what life is.... loving God and loving others. The house, the cars, the clothes, the jobs, and positions and wealth, and fame, are temporary and matter not. It's the love we give that is important and matters the most in the here and now, and also in eternity. This is what I believe.

Lots of Love and Hugs to You

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
Tammy

Quit Date:
February 16, 2004

PostPosted: March 29, 2005 1:59 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, Ron and I were just talking about how fast time flies. I think we all at times reflect and have some regrets. The ol' 'if I knew then, what I know now' what I'd of done different talk. I agree with Deb. though. The things of this earthly life are temporal. What matters is that we loved and that we have our names written in the lambs book of life. I am after the eternal. Keep loving and laughing. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matt.6:34 Very Happy

Tammy
Free and loving it!
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 29, 2005 2:45 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom

My goodness, how many people have been asking me that lately. It must be something in the air or a change in the world.

My take on this is this: People are like a handful of pebbles that God threw on the lake of Life. And when pebbles are thrown they make unending ripples, going on and on and on to the edges of the world. So all you have to do is "be." Just be. That is your purpose; the rest comes to you as you go along or not, but you do the important part by being you.

Here is my favorite quote about that: “When I think of you I sincerely say - in paraphrase of what the French writer Voltaire said about Someone else: ‘If Tom did not exist, it would be necessary for us to invent him.’” Smile

Margaret
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: March 29, 2005 7:35 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, I had someone tell me that life here is __ and life eternal is____________________________________________________________________________________________________________.....

We put too much emphases on this life instead of heaven. Tom, you have got to be the most lovable, God fearing man! You touch so many lifes with your humor and love. Someone told me that God is preparing us for our life in heaven. I too think like you do at times. I think it is the human part of us. Thats when I get into Gods word. His words are such a comfort to me. I also turn to friends and ask for a hug. So Tom, you didn't ask, but here is a big hug anyway((((((((((((((((((((((((hug)))))))))))))))))))))))))).

I know you'll get over it and get on with it like you said. But thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings with us Tom. Looking forward to your next post.

God Bless! Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
Dana Rae

Quit Date:
January 22, 2005

PostPosted: March 29, 2005 7:39 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom we all ponder this from time to time..I think we are put here for many reasons some we have no clue about only God knows for sure.. but when our days are done here the truth of it all will be told to you.. God looks at your good deeds (of which you have many) and puts you with the angels. I know this sounds simplistic but I just had this talk with my ten year old he is like an old man in a little body...he ponders alot... Smile Anyway I don't go to church either mainly because I feel close to God everywhere and all during the day..in my heart ...and the churches I have been to are not me...I think God knows that...your a sweet soul and you will be fine...just trust in the Lord... Hugs Dana
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 29, 2005 9:18 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom~
I have 2 pieces of advice. One, do something out of the ordinary. For me, it is almost always travel. You need a change in perspective. Removing yourself from your "ordinary" life might help you see the value (and thus, to some extent, purpose) of your life now.

Second, I strongly urge you to join a volunteer group or start volunteering immediately. If you already volunteer somewhere, increase your hours. I am not suggesting you try and become Mother Teresa. What I do know is that by helping others, we help ourselves. Simple as that. I believe our purpose in life is what we have done for others while here.

Cool

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: March 29, 2005 10:15 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, I'm 68 and my husband is 72. We, too, have these "why am I here" thoughts but haven't come up with an answer other than that God put us here for a reason and it isn't for us to question God. He has/had a purpose for our lives to achieve.

Sounds to me like you're just a little depressed for some reason or perhaps a little bored with the here and now. Believe me, that happens to all of us at times.

Tom, you've done so much for so many. All of us here at woofman have been lifted from our "down" moods by your posts. They're sometimes really crazy but always bring a laugh even on my saddest days.

Your faith is strong. Hold on to that faith and challenge yourself to seek the best, most rewarding life you can. Allegheny suggested volunteering. That's a great idea. So many could profit from your wonderful sense of humor and your caring nature.

Just know that you're loved by a lot of people. We never know how much longer we're going to be in this life but, with your faith, you know that the next life is going to be so much more beautiful. Let's enjoy the time we have; love those God has given us and take what comes with the best humor possible.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: March 29, 2005 12:39 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom it is spring pure and simple. You need look no further. Spring stands for the birth of new growth and I guess what you are seeing is the old growth trying to fluff itself up. So think of yourself more like an evergreen shake yourself off turn your face up to the first rains and once more summer will come. This I doubt has anything to do with smoking all that would add is a hacking cough. Come on look out side how can you not get excited about spring or any of the seasons for that matter. Even good ole winter not my favorite by the way has loads to offer. I've fully enjoyed 4 wheeling as well as ice fishing plus snow angels and snowmen just to name a few. Smile we are all on the same path and it can't be all that bad as other's have gone before. I guess the accomplishment of QUITTING has worn thin so go out and conquer something else. Remember to have fun. Wink

I'm a NON-SMOKER thanks to everyone here
tsjay49

Quit Date:
January 1, 2004

PostPosted: March 29, 2005 2:58 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for your kind replies.

None of us know how much time we really have left, so I guess we just do the best we can each day and try to enjoy life as it comes.

I've always said that I don't fear death nearly as much as I fear life with no joy in it. So, I really shouldn't worry about how much time I have left, just about the quality of life during that time.

Tom

If a person with Multiple Personality Disorder threatens suicide, is that considered a hostage situation?
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: March 29, 2005 10:04 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom I have gone thru this many time before. I call it the "George Bailey Syndrome" But remember what happened to George Bailey when he found out just how important his life was? If you think that the best of times are over for you, than guess what - they are. But if you think that the best part of life is not what's at the end but rather the journey, then your good times are just beginning. You're a great guy Tom and I do understand how hard it is to say good-bye to the old days, believe me I could get nostalgic over a rock, but if we don't say good-bye to the old days, then there won't be any good times in the new ones. I wish you well, Kerry
Leona

Quit Date:
June 1, 2017

PostPosted: March 30, 2005 11:15 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

I to have found myself wondering what is to become of the 20 year old I remember being. I am now 45 and still wonder what is ahead. I have been having some medical problems and wonder what happened to the girl who could lift a hundred pound bail of hay and throw it up on a hay wagon and now can't Where did she go and who the heck is this person with silvery hair that replaced her.

I want and long for the old me but know that it can never be. I am growing older and some say wiser although my kids don't agree with that one. And also when did they get so old???? I now have a 30 year old, a 26year old a 23 year old and a 16 year old when did they grow up I remember them as needing to have their diapers changed and just little bundles of baby fat.

Now 2 of them are getting married and one is in her teen years and being all teenager.(I hate teenagers Embarassed Shocked Very Happy )

So please don't feel alone we are not only in this quit smoking and support each other there we are all getting older and support and help each other along the way there also.

Our lord also supports us on the path that we are taking perhaps we should be looking at this as a journey or adventure instead of lamenting about how much we no longer can do. Maybe we should try to find alternatives to what we can do and leave the rest to the youngsters who are coming up behind us.

Just a thought

Quiting smoking is like a fine wine ......
It just gets better with age.
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: March 30, 2005 6:07 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom.

If you were a woman, we could say it was PMS or menapause or too much soap operas but since you are a man, I guess we must look at this as a serious thought Rolling Eyes

I think most people have had the same questions running through their minds at one point or another....my first was around 30 when I just knew my life was a waste and time was running out. Laughing Laughing

The point is, we all wonder why we are here and what I purpose is....
maybe you have just reached a calm in your life where you can step back and look at the whole picture. You have lived your life on the right side of the street, have a family to be proud of or not, a career you supported them with, and friends who love you.....all in all, I would say that you Tom, have had it all....now sit back and admire yourself and oh, don't forget Ross Allen!
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
exsmoker

Quit Date:
October 14, 2007

PostPosted: April 3, 2005 10:50 PM    Post subject: Tom Reply with quote

Jeeps! Offroading!<<<< I was at your website. I am confused you dont sound like someone with one foot in the grave? So you must still have spunk so enjoy life as you are only as young/old as you feel. Dont waste time wondering what your purpose in life is. Smile

Diane
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Frankiet

Quit Date:
June 14, 2005

PostPosted: April 6, 2005 10:42 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a long long lonely winter, Tom. Get out and work in your garden. Drive your jeep down a rut filled road. Go fishing, fly kites, play golf....

Take a trip to Hamtramack or Highland Park or Flint, MI and then reflect on how good you have it!

Here comes the sun; here comes the sun, it's alright!

Regards,

Frankiet

"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: