quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nothing Can be Done

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: April 19, 2005 4:11 PM    Post subject: Nothing Can be Done Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am truely upset at this moment after my doctor's appointment with the ENT doctor today. He informed me there is nothing that can be done for my swallowing problem. As I well know from my research that this will eventually lead to a feeding tube for me when and if it worsens. I have weakened swallowing muscles where they do not want to function in the swallowing process. I still say though that I have two distinct swallowing problems where the other one is when I get frequently choked on my liquids. That did not show up in the barium swallow I had done this month though with the speech therapist. The doctor wants me to have the barium x-ray done every year or two and come back to see him in 6 months. I do not plan on doing that though. I do not see any reason for it when there is nothing that can be done. I do not believe in going to doctors to just give them my money for nothing. I was in there maybe tops 3 minutes today and paid $25 co-pay. The nero-surgeon had me coming back to him on regular visits also and all he did was ask me how my back is doing and maybe check my reflexes. I am going to enjoy myself while I can, not saying I won't be around for awhile, and I will not put every penny of mine into the pockets of these rich doctors. Sorry this became a rant too. I got better care and less trouble when I did not have private health insurance. HMO's really are the pits.

Blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: April 19, 2005 8:17 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara,

So sorry to hear that your visit to the doctor went so poorly. If you choose not to go back, please do keep up-to-date on new meds and procedures for your problem. They're always coming up with things to "fix" problems.

I, too, had a rotten day at the doctor's office. My cholesterol is slightly elevated and this visit was with a cardiologist (a real worry wart). My internist wants me to take niacin for raise the good cholesterol and lower the bad. The cardiologist wants me to take a statin. The niacin is about $5 for 500 tablets (over a years' worth) the statins run between $75 and 100/month. Our insurance doesn't cover meds so this would all be out of pocket. For now I'm opting for the niacin. We'll see how that works.
Sometimes life really throws us a clunker, doesn't it?

Seems like someone always has their hand into our wallets. Oh well, could be worse, I guess. Take care and enjoy!

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 19, 2005 8:35 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara,

Yes, HMO's suck! I am so glad I don't have to deal with that anymore. And I'm sorry that you do. I feel like JO said, however, there are new things being done all the time, so there may a fix for it before your condition worsens. By the way, even an HMO is supposed to give you at least 2 opinions, so you might consider checking with another doc.

There are also several other things that affect swallowing. Your acid reflux will make it harder, so take good care of that, and it helps the swallowing. I never had the weakened muscles, but I did used to have acid reflux, and had trouble with choking or swallowing or food coming back up when I
swallowed it. Another thing that can make it almost impossible to swallow is TMJ. I would get that checked to, because it is pretty easy to fix and then you can swallow better at least. I couldn't swallow at all when I had the TMJ and got really panicked that something bad was wrong, but it is O.K. now. I got it fixed.

Boy those co-pays can really dig into a person's pocket. I'm sorry you didn't have better news and dont' blame you one bit for being mad. Just don't let being mad keep you from getting a check-up on this once in a while. Aren't there any exercises that would strengthen those muscles? Seems like there should be. THat is what they did for my TMJ and along with massage, it worked, so that I could swallow.

Jo, I'm sorry to hear about your news, too. I will Pm you later.

Barbara, I will email you later.

Margaret
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: April 19, 2005 9:10 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Barb I can't help you but I am thinking of you

Jo:Try flax seed for cholesteral. I t does not have to be golden it can be just flax seed. Make sure to buy the seed that is not ground as it will loose it's nutrients fast so grind your own. Just do it in a coffee grinder a little at a time. Put the unused ground seed in a container in the freezer. Natural is always better than pill form. You also know the saturated fats must go which are red meat and dairy. You can still have small amounts but keep your daily intake to less than 200 mg check it on goals at www.fitday.com. Here are my numbers for today Cholesterol mg 7.49(intake) 0(minimum intake) 200(maximum intake)
Omega Golden Flax Seed is the “Designer Flax Seed” It was created by South Dakota & North Dakota State Universities to yield higher levels of Omega 3 oil, Protein 10g. and Fiber 11g. per ¼ cup serving. It requires stringent growing criteria to produce the best hybrid seed. Golden Flax Seed is not genetically modified.

Central North Dakota is the ideal region for growing golden flax seed, with a semi-arid climate of warm days and cool nights. The Omega 3, Protein and Fiber content vary with growing conditions. Flax USA guarantees the quality of the golden flax seed with a nutrient content label on each product based on yearly crop analysis. This ensures you are getting the highest quality golden flax seed.

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:3nqMP0SYKPkJ:www.flaxusa.com/+%22golden+flax+seed%22&hl=en

Nutritionally Perfect Food Flax Seed

A nutritionally Complex food, analysis of Flax Seed reveals the high concentration of alpha linoleic acid (ALA) – an omega-3 essential fatty acid – and fiber, lignan and other vitamins and minerals suggests that Flax Seed helps reduce cholesterol, fight cancer and control blood glucose levels.
Flaxseed is one of the richest sources of Omega-3 fatty acids.
In clinical studies, they have been found to burn nearly three times faster than animal fats. No wonder they are known as the "anti-obesity fats."Ann Louise Gittleman, M.S., C.N.S.,The Fat Flush Plan

The FDA states that Omega-3 fatty acids are beneficial in reducing coronary heart disease.

Omega-3s are like, well, antifreeze for our bodies. They keep our blood relatively thin and circulating well, especially in cold weather. Phil Lempert Today" Food Editor

From Our Informed Customers

Comments of our informed customers

Dr. reports on 3 people regarding cholesterol, triglyerides and LDL/HDL

A 55 year old women in one years' time:
Tests showed cholestrol down 45 points, triglyerides down 54 points, HDL down 3 points, LDL down 31 points

47-year-old man in 2 1/2 months' time:
Tests showed cholesterol was 284 down to 155 triglycerides 110 down to 96, HDL 50 down to 37

54-year-old women in 1 years' time:
Cholesterol 260 to 188, triglycerides 264 to 91, LDL 158 to 118.

Flax Facts - Healthy Low Carb Diet

62% of Americans made a strong or some effort to reduce total fat, 50% cholesterol, 33% hydrogenated fat, and 33% trans fats

Per-capita consumption of added fats and oils rose 67% in last 30 yrs! FoodTechnology 8/ 2003 • VOL. 7, No.8

In general for every 10g of Flax Seed used in the diet there is a 1% reduction in total Cholesterol and a 1.5% reduction in LDL cholesterol.

Ground Flax seed can keep people off costly drug treatment with its cholesterol lowering effects. The Flax Council of Canada

These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease

Some more foods to help you on your way to overall health:
Cholesterol lowering foods - this may sound as an oxymoron! However, studies prove that some foods can assist in the reduction of cholesterol and could be incorporated into your new diet plan.

Cholesterol Lowering Margarine

Recently, cholesterol lowering margarines have been introduced to the market. Benecol® is one of the products that has been confirmed to lower cholesterol on an average of 10% if used as recommended. In addition, this margarine does not affect your HDL, or "good" cholesterol. Other products include Take Control® margarine and salad dressings that are made from plant sterols, which are extracted from soybeans. These sterols trick your intestine into thinking they are cholesterol and when it tries to absorb them, it is not able to, therefore blocking cholesterol.

Soy Protein

Cholesterol lowering quality of soy protein was evidenced when FDA approved (see FDA talk paper) the health claim for its effects on risk of heart disease. To achieve intended result, you have to consume at least four servings of 6.25 grams of soy protein totaling daily intake to 25 grams per day. Many food manufacturers have since introduced soy beverages and energy bars containing up to 10 to 20 grams of soy protein. People with high cholesterol - levels of 260-300, soy protein has shown to reduce cholesterol by 15-25%.

Nuts

Nuts such as almonds and walnuts that have high amount of monounsaturated or polyunsaturated, also help lowering cholesterol. Researchers at the Loma Linda University found that a diet containing pecans (click here for Abstract) not only lowered total and LDL--or "bad" cholesterol significantly but also helped to maintain desirable levels of HDL--or "good"--cholesterol. Another study conducted by the same University found that Mediterranean style diet that included walnuts (click here for Abstract) lowered cholesterol.

Oats and Barley

In lowering cholesterol, oats and barley have played a critical role. These foods have a soluble fiber known as Beta Glucan, which is the key, in how they lower the cholesterol. To gain the intended cholesterol lowering effect, you have to consume anywhere between two and four cups of dry oat or barley cereal each day.

Fruits and Vegetables

Fruits and vegetables such as apples, citrus fruit, berries, carrots, apricots, cabbage, sweet potatoes are high in soluble fiber and pectin both shown to be helpful in lowering cholesterol. At least five servings a day is recommended to benefit the full effect.

Flaxseed

Flaxseed provides alpha-linolenic acid a poly-unsaturated fat which has been shown to lower cholesterol while providing needed soluble fiber.

Olive Oil

Olive oil is one of the mono-saturated fats and studies have shown that it lowers blood cholesterol. Extra virgin olive oil is suggested to be better than other varieties.

Fish

According to researchers, fish containing a omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids make the blood more slippery and less likely to clot in addition to lowering blood cholesterol.

Cautions:

Instead of frying foods, bake, roast, or grill. Cut back on egg yolks and if you drink 2% milk change to 1% and if possible, skim milk.

http://www.loweringcholesterol.net/show/cholesterol-lowering-foods

Plus don't forget Garlic or Curcumin both are excellent.Curcumin is present in Turmeric. I use the ground powder ot chunks when I can get them.A very strong antioxidant that provides antiviral, anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer, and cholesterol-lowering effects. In addition, it was been widely used for patients suffering from Hepatitis C. Curcumin is an extract from the spice Turmeric, which has been shown to have multiple health benefits. In addition, Dr. Mark Katz, MD with Search Alliance is currently organizing a new study, to be conducted in Los Angeles. A criterion includes people with CD4 between 50 and 400 and with a positive p24 antigen.

I'm a NON-SMOKER thanks to everyone here
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: April 19, 2005 9:26 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Melody,

Thanks a million for all the wonderful information. I've printed it out and will "digest" it thoroughly. It looks like lots of wonderful, helpful info.

I've been dieting for the past 6 months, walking on our treadmill regularly and using fitday.com and did succeed in lowering the cholesterol 24 pts. However, the hdl dropped below 40 and that seems to be where the concern is.

I've also been taking 2 TBSP of flaxseed but have been buying it already ground and freezing it. Guess I'll buy the seed and grind it myself.

Again, I can't thank you enough for all this wonderful info. It's so nice of you to care enough to send it.

Jo
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 19, 2005 11:23 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm sorry to hear that the docs can't do anything about the swallowing problem, barbara, but i wouldn't assume that it's going to get worse. keep looking around; there might be alternative ideas on what can be done about it. who knows? in an infinite universe, anything is possible.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: April 19, 2005 11:23 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thank all,

Jo, I hope you get your cholesterol under control. I have, since making this post decided to go to the Medical College of Virginia where I live if I can get a referrel there.

Blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Dana Rae

Quit Date:
January 22, 2005

PostPosted: April 19, 2005 11:54 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a good idea Barbara hope things work out for you...where theres a will theres a way!!!!
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: April 20, 2005 2:54 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barb, never give up hope!

And Melody, thanks for the info. I have extremely high cholesrol. Will try this. DO NOT want to take pills!

In fact I have been on Mysoline for over 40 years for my epilepsy, and now they're telling me they are not marketing it anymore! Scarey! Will be taking a generic. Hope I don't have a seizure!

Your in my prayers Barb!

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: April 20, 2005 5:16 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barb, is that the facility in Charlottesville, VA? Our son lives in Aylett and has spoken very highly of that hospital. He has atrial fibrillation and was considering having the surgery done there until he discovered that his insurance didn't cover the cardiologist recommended.

When one door closes, another opens. Keep exploring; you're bound to find some answers other than "nothing can be done." Keep searching.

Jo
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 21, 2005 11:42 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barb,

Ohhhh.... Sad Hate to hear that news. I'm so sorry! Yep, keep looking. Hope you get a referral!!! Never give up!

Big Hugs ((((Barb))))

Jo,
You'll get the cholesterol under control! Very Happy I'm a firm believer in herbs and vitamins. And like you pointed out...it's whole lot cheaper!!! Wink

And Melody, thanks for all the great info. Mom has a bit of high cholesterol herself. I'll share this with her.

Hugs All

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
eastcoastraven

Quit Date:
April 15, 2005

PostPosted: April 29, 2005 1:54 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Barb,
Just a smile Smile & a warm wish that things are a bit
better for you today.

-You are stronger than you ever thought you could be! Dont give up/In -
-Raven-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: April 30, 2005 12:18 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thanks all,

I am just now seeing these other responses because I've had so many other things crop up that I've put the swallowing problem on the back burner.

I'm going to be a survivor though.

Blessings,

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: