quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Question for You All...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snowlover

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 4, 2005 10:49 AM    Post subject: Question for You All... Reply with quote

Do you think your lifestyle has changed since quitting? Are there big changes or little changes? What kind of changes have you experienced? I'd like to hear about them. Kaye
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 4, 2005 2:37 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a completely different person than I was at 2:30 pm, 4 May 2004. And, I continue to become the woman God intended for me to be. There are one hundred billion large and small ways my life is different and better because I chose to overcome my smoking addiction. Many are highly personal and quite a few deal with my relationships with others. Mostly I have learned to value myself, my life and thus other's lives as well.

Cool

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: May 4, 2005 4:25 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hubby and I Quit smoking and some of the changes I've experienced are:Not having to say I'll be right back so I could step out for a smoke. Not having to buy seat covers to protect the car seat from burns. That just came up as we just did over a 1985 Camero Z28 Iroc to mint and hubby was wondering which covers and I said why bother you had the seats redone and we don't smoke so not likely to get damaged. Not having burn holes in clothes. My dog doesn't sniff at me. My grandson does not pretend he is having a ciq. I do not cough unless I've got a cold. I can jog again as well as run. I can fly without worrying about how long the flight is. I can go to a funeral where someone died of cancer without feeling like everyone is looking at me and sure I'm partially responsible for the death. I can breath my hair smells nice. I love how I look and feel. I love how hubby smells. My hair is softer my skin is softer my fingers have no stains. My eyes are never burning from my smoke nor am I worried about outings as it no longer matters whom we sit with or how close to the door we are. Life has changed and it is all to the good. We have control of our life for the first time in our married lives and you know what it was time. Just time to grow up and take responsibility for our health as we have kids and a grandson counting on us. They deserve our best.

I'm a NON-SMOKER thanks to everyone here
jlynn931

Quit Date:
September 22, 2016

PostPosted: May 4, 2005 4:39 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would have to say the biggest lifestyle change is that i have started exercising and i have stuck with it for 7 weeks now. 3 days cardio 2 days muscle toning at a minimum. in the past i've lasted maybe a week. i also eat breakfast everyday, which i have never done before. i am more focused at work at not counting down until i can have my next snoke. and my favorite thing is that i have more money. i can buy those nice luxuries i was never able to. this month i am getting a digital camera and next month extra memory for it to use on a vacation i am going on in July. (the vacation i would have done anyway, parents are paying for the room, but i'll have more spending money than i would otherwise).
jenny
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: May 4, 2005 6:10 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting question, Kaye. I don't know whether I could say my life has changed or not. However, I have definitely changed. I'm much, much calmer; stress is no big deal. It's much more fun going out among people; don't have to worry about where and when I can have that next smoke. I'm much healthier; blood pressure has gone down and I'm getting rid of the unwanted pounds. Actually, my world is wonderful as a non-smoker.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: May 5, 2005 8:07 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOY has it changed! I've joined a Health Club! My best friend won't come visit me, but I have made more friends through Church. If anything, I have been more active in Church activities.

But I must be honest, here. I do miss smoking. I don't miss the smoke itself. Just the relaxtion part of it. But it all takes time. And I choose not to smoke everyday.

As soon as I realized I was an addict, everything made sense to me. (Thank you Kevin)

So, yes, I can say I've changed. And I think for the better. I just need to get use to it. Excuse me, My husband is always telling me "Don't get use to it, just enjoy it!"

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: May 5, 2005 10:37 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the biggest change for me was how I viewed time. Tom once posted that he never really realized how much time was taken smoking until he added it up. Once those smoke breaks are gone, you need to figure out what to do with the leftover time. It makes you realize how much you raced thru things just so that you could have that smoke. I don't think that time mgmt. comes overnight either so that's another way that Laughing Demon can convince you that you need to smoke again. You're so bored with all this extra time that you don't know what to do with yourself. That's when true self discovery really begins. It can really be very exciting.

The other change I had to deal with was doing something that I used to do smoking and now had to do as a non-smoking person. But when Kevin pointed out to me that each event only had to be done once and then it was no longer a "first", I was better able to deal with the situation.

Lastly, if you think about it, the biggest change came when you decided to become a smoker, not when you decided to become a non-smoker. Because as we all know, not smoking is our natural state and once we decided to alter that, we made the decision to change what was natural. We decided that we would smell, destroy our lungs, hide, endanger, etc, etc. I think I like this change better. Kerry
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: May 5, 2005 1:12 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi,

Too many changes for the better to list and still to come. One big one thoguh, self respect. In fact I tell others all the time I like myself better as an ex-smoker than a smoker and I do not want to mess that up.

Blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Kissimee

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 5, 2005 1:29 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many changes in my life now...and I hadn't thought a lot about it. We have the issue at work...I no longer go outside to stand in one spot and puff...I go for a walk, actually smelling the fresh air. I don't watch the clock at work...waiting for 15 minutes so I can go and smoke again. I also hang out with different people now. I have more money at the end of the week...I love this one! My house smells wonderful and for the first time, I feel healthy. I gained a lot of weight when I quit smoking but it's coming off slowly but surely and I feel good about myself.

The most things I love about not smoking is I don't have to excuse myself to go and smoke. That was something that always bothered me when I smoked. At Girl Scout camp, I would have to swoosh the girls away, at a nice restarant, to the bar or outside I would go. At church or a funeral...I just love being FREE and that is a big change for me.

Thank you for making me reflect, Kaye!

Tracy

I can NOT control the addiction because if I could, it would NOT be an addiction...BUT I can control ME, the addict.
~Tracy

Tammy

Quit Date:
February 16, 2004

PostPosted: May 5, 2005 8:28 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH So many changes since quitting. I have been quit for 1 Year, 2 Months, 2 Weeks, 4 Days, 20 hours, 46 minutes and 19 seconds (443 days). I have saved $1,442.55 by not smoking 8,877 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Month, 1 Day, 19 hours and 45 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 2/16/2004. I can smell and breathe agian. I have much more time and money. I no lnger have to worry that others could smell the cigarette smoke on me (They could because I sure smell it on others now.) I no longer walk in shame and embaressment. I had grown to hate smoking so bad that it is now so hard to undrstand when I hear or read that someone is saying 'how bad they miss it or are in mourning over losing the cigarettes their friend.' I don't nor did I ever feel that way I said good ridance. I was seeking the quit because I wanted FREEDOM. I have that Freedom now and truly am enjoying every day of it. Very Happy

Tammy
Free and loving it!
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: May 5, 2005 9:23 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES! There are many amazing changes in the process of quitting...the biggest change is when finally, quitting is not the single most important time consuming thing you think about & worry about nearly continously. It happens when you finally have enough not smoking experience and have faced enough challenges and faced down Laughing Demon over and over and over again...Freedom is truly priceless and so very much worth the effort. The new me is definitely better!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Fightn4life

Quit Date:
October 23, 2003

PostPosted: May 7, 2005 6:36 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG, I am not the same person. The one behind the smoke screen was insecure, negative, lack of self-worth, and pessimistic.

I must say I am still a work in progress although I have no doubt of the power of the mind, and prayer. I know if I chose to do something given time I can do it. I am learning to love each day and look forward to new challenges. I find I am not as afraid as I once was.

I exercise at least four times a week; walk on a treadmill while watching TV instead of puffing the night away. I can hike with out resting to gasp for breath. I am involved with Yoga and meditation. I found a deeper spiritual side within me; I am tolerable of others.

I am no longer angry with my hubby for continuing to smoke, saddened at times but the anger is gone. I feel calmer, smile more and have this feeling of well being.

The journey I have taken has been a rocky road at times but looking back, I am glad I am taking this trip.

I have been honored to meet so many people along the way and see so many positive changes within the posts of quitters. I do think it is pride.

My God, we all quit smoking now that is something to feel awesome about.

Sandyz

free for 562 days!

"Keep your heart open to dreams. For as long as there's a dream, there is hope, and as long as there is hope, there is joy in living."

~Anonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: