quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

health questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: May 28, 2005 11:17 PM    Post subject: health questions Reply with quote

We have a friend who has just been diagnosed with emphysema and congestive heart failure. First of all, does anyone know what congestive heart failure is? Also, the friend (age 79) used to smoke, probably for 20 plus years or so, but quit about 25 or 30 years ago. I guess I could understand if she ended up with cancer, but doesn't it seem strange at this stage in the game that she would end up with emphysema? Maybe I'm just ignorant to all this stuff. I really feel bad for her family. Kerry
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: May 28, 2005 11:39 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry, sorry to hear about your friend....my uncle received a similar diagnosis later in his life also....he to had quit smoking some 25 years earlier....I guess the damage is done and sometimes it just takes it a while before it causes enough problem to be detected for sure... I know my mother had congestive heart failure...but I am embarrassed to say I cannot tell you exactly what it correct terms for it is...one thing with my mother was that her lungs had some kind of infection and this caused her heart to weaken because it was having to work double time. The doctor did not go into specifics at the time he just told me that..
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 28, 2005 11:46 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry, anyone can get emphysema, you don't have to smoke to get it. Some people have weaker lungs than others--a hereditary thing. (However, smoking will pretty much guarantee it.) THe thing is, in the case of congestive heart failure, which my father had, and many of my family has had, fluid collects on the lungs from the heart not pumping correctly or something like that--cannot remember the details at the moment. THe drug usually given is lasix. A person can live with this condition for many years. My father was 84 when he died. My aunt (his sister) is aproaching her 90's, and has it very bad, but is still going strong. THe thing they must do is take perfect care of themselves, try not to get any colds, eat and rest well, and use oxygen whenever necessary. My father never used it, but my aunt does sometimes.

I am sorry about your friend. Wish I could help more. Maybe if you type "congestive heart failure" in the address bar, you can get some better research on exactly how it works.

My best to you and your friend,

Margaret
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: May 29, 2005 3:41 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry,

I am sorry to hear about your friend. Also, try Webmd.com

Blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 29, 2005 10:34 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to hear your friend is having these health problems, kerry; here are some links to information about these conditions:

emphysema

congestive heart failure

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: May 29, 2005 11:48 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry. I am so sorry to hear about your friend.

God Be with you.

Love Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: