quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Why me?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > life beyond the smokescreen
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: June 7, 2005 7:41 AM    Post subject: Why me? Reply with quote

This evening will be the final group meeting of the Smoking Cessation Study that was the start of my quit. It was a small group of nine women. Of the group, I believe I'm the only one who has actually quit and continued to not smoke. I was the only person who showed up for the 9 months follow up meeting. Those aren't very good odds. Why did it work for me? I didn't think I could do it - but I knew I had to try. I think finding this forum is a big part of why I'm still not smoking. Thank you Kevin and everyone here in the woofmang family! I'm looking forward to completing the study - I just pray those other eight women will find their way to a smoke free life - they have no idea what they are missing...

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
wiley

Quit Date:
March 20, 2005

PostPosted: June 7, 2005 8:00 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the inspiring post Mary. You've worked hard and made good choices Very Happy

Congrats on the great quit!

Wiley
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 7, 2005 8:12 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've asked myself the same question, mary - in my case, i believe the reason i've stayed quit is that i've finally realized that i am an addict, and that i can't afford to feed that addiction a single time if i want to stay free.

i think the main reason people relapse is that addicts are so good at rationalizing their self-destructive behavior: we tell ourselves (and others), "i can stop any time", "i'll quit when things calm down", "if i just cut down, i'll be ok", and other such nonsense, to rationalize our conscious choice to continue feeding an addiction that's killing us.

i join you in hoping that all practicing addicts will be able to find their way to freedom.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: June 7, 2005 10:11 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Mary,

I agree, this site helps a lot. I go to a support group for people trying to quit and people who have quit and sometimes I'm the only who still hangs around to go the meetings! I live in a metropolitan area too!

Blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Tammy

Quit Date:
February 16, 2004

PostPosted: June 8, 2005 12:07 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary, Good for you! I agree these boards have so much to offer. I say thank you Kevin and everyone too. You all are the best.! Very Happy

I hope the other 8 women will find there quits and become free too.

Tammy
Free and loving it!
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 8, 2005 1:05 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everyone else. I could not have done it myself, I don't think, without woofmang and Kevin. Made all the difference to me.

Also, I got to the point where "choose life" was the ONLY option....well, there was that oher one, but it was far too painful... dying with COPD? .... Not my choice. I think people wear blinders and don't think it could happen to them. But it can, and mostly likely will. Maybe they will take their blinders off, before it is too late, and hopefully not even wait as long as I did!

You did great, Mary!! I am so proud of you!

Love,
margaret

Margaret
Jill-dec1

Quit Date:
December 1, 2003

PostPosted: June 9, 2005 12:38 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary,

Like you I have often wondered why I was the only one from my FFS quit smoking buddies that made it. We were called the Dec Quitbuds and I think I’m the only one who made it this far and I have no idea how it happened but I thank everyone for all the support and having this place to come and read. You are soooooo right they have no idea what they are missing.

Jill Razz
Fightn4life

Quit Date:
October 23, 2003

PostPosted: June 12, 2005 2:05 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Mary...I could not have done this alone. I tried many times.

Like Kevin said though, when I realized I was a addict it hit a nerve. I knew I was done.

This site and the program I followed has been the life line.

I too hope others will find their own nitch. My sister-in-law and my brother still remain quit as well as my Florida friend who joined this board, Joy. There is hope. Smile

Sandyz
598 days breathing free

"Keep your heart open to dreams. For as long as there's a dream, there is hope, and as long as there is hope, there is joy in living."

~Anonymous
JamesP

Quit Date:
November 3, 2003

PostPosted: June 15, 2005 12:34 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I KNOW I couldn't have done this quit alone. Woofmang and FFS have been the biggest factor in my quit, because every time I log on, I remember why I quit. Just keeping the whole thing fresh in my mind prevents me from returning to my old way of looking at things.

James

Enjoy your quit -- it's the last one you'll ever have!
alison

Quit Date:
June 3, 2003

PostPosted: June 23, 2005 11:26 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary,

You were successful because you wanted it enough to suffer through the pain of withdrawal. Quitting is hard and not everyone believes they can be that strong. When the S*** hits the fan some folks survive and others just curl up and die. You never know which person you will be until you face the trial. Everyone can quit smoking but not everyone will because first you must believe you can, then you must do it and finally you must keep it.

Keep on keeping that quit.

I wish you peace.

alison
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > life beyond the smokescreen All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: