quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

You want me to WHAT??!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deztynee

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 27, 2005 9:57 PM    Post subject: You want me to WHAT??!! Reply with quote

Quit smoking??!! AHHHHHHHH!! It ain't gonna be easy but, there has GOT to be something better to do with my time than smoke!! I have been trying to quit for just over a year, haven't made it past 3 days and am attempting again right now. I am so angry at myself for continuing to smoke. I feel as though I am completely useless without one. When I don't have a smoke, ALL I can think about is how Im going to get one. After I smoke, Im angry at myself for smoking. It's a no-win situation. I AM A NICOTINE JUNKY!!!! I feel filthy, diseased and horrible about the nasty habit, but obviously it has a death grip on me because I don't feel horrible enough (if thats even possible) to quit for good!

I am so happy about the smoking bans that have been popping up all over the place. I went to a bar for the first time since a new smoking ban and ended up having 5 smokes that night instead of an entire pack, it was awesome! I am the type of inpatient person who wants results NOW. So, that is a barrier that I have to overcome. I need to take this one 'second' at a time!

I smoke around a pack a day or less and I truly feel that aside from the physical addiction, the majority for me is purely mental. It is time for me to take care of and think about ME!! I don't want to die and I don't want people around me to die because of my selfishness. If anyone has any insight or bright ideas, I would LOVE to hear them, lol. Because right now is the start of one hell of a journey, a life long journey. Good Luck to all and I can only hope to be as successful. Thanks for listening, you'll hear from me again, trust me, lol.

Last edited by deztynee on July 27, 2005 10:43 PM; edited 1 time in total
iwantosing

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 27, 2005 10:28 PM    Post subject: of course God will help you!!!! Reply with quote

Hi Dez Very Happy welcome. I believe in God, I believe he is helping me to quit this addiction. And besides of ways, one of the ways He helped me was bringing me here to these web pages where you get so much understanding and support from people that know exactly what is happening to you. You must read "the tales" stories of Kevins journey. He writes so well. I love his message for the fifth or sixth month of his quit. It is titled 'You come too" I just want to share the invitation to you. I have been quit for 4 months now. Yes it was difficult, but it is so lovely down the road a little ways. The air is so much fresher, the breathing easier, no quilty feelings, better circulation, the walking is great, you smell like soap, your teeth are white, you can sing better in church Very Happy you can laugh without coughing, run up stairs, Just take it one hour at a time, every time you beat the urge YOU get stronget and the urge gets weker. everytime. Please come with us, I do not know you but I do know that you are precious and deserve to treat yourself better than this addiction treats you. You will not regret stopping smoking. If you don't stop, you will regret it until you die. Very Happy Peg I will pray for you, God wil certainly help

My name is Peg, I decided I wanted to sing to the Lord, run with my son, laugh and learn to whistle, the cigs had to go!! Quit Date 3/28/05
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 27, 2005 10:44 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dez,

Yes, God will help you overcome this addiction. One way He works is with and through wisdom and understanding.

The best element in a successful quit is preparation and education. We are addicts and learning to overcome that addiction is crucial. There is a free online program called Freedom From Smoking sponsored by the American Lung Assoc. The link is www.lungusa.org . Now, the next website that is full of information is www.whyquit.com . Read everything and all you can! This will prepare your mind and gear it towards quitting.

The next extemely important factor is realizing that it's a choice. We decide whether to light up or not. The addiction is the one needing the fix...not you. So, you can control the addiction by saying no...and refusing to give in to it. The more you say no...the weaker the addicton becomes.

You can do this!!!! Remember, it may not be easy, but it IS definitely DOABLE!!!

Smiles and Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: July 27, 2005 11:26 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, take it one second at a time if that is what it will take....remember, the ball is in your court and you are the best player on the team. You must decide each moment not to smoke no matter what happens....you know deep down that smoking will not fix any problem but will compound it by making you sick. You have a CHOICE to stay an addict or to enter the journey to recovery. I hope you choose the recovery. You must get it right mentally in order to quit or at least I did. I had to understand I had CONTROL not the nicotine...no it was not easy but you have to be stubborn...you have to want to win the game. Your trophy will be a higher quality of life than that of a smoker....now, get a move on it Laughing and know that you can do this. Wink
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 27, 2005 11:32 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to woofmang, deztynee! Smile

go read the post titled "how to stack the odds in your favor" up in the "getting quit" forum; it has lots of bright ideas. and remember this: you don't have to quit forever, or even for today; you only have to quit for the moment that you're having a crave. every time you choose not to smoke in response to a crave, you reinforce your freedom and make it that much easier to choose life again the next time. and the more you do that, the weaker and further apart the craves will get.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: July 27, 2005 11:56 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

You CAN quit. Choose freedom and life! Refuse to feed the addiction - and take it one day at a time...or one hour, minute, or second at a time. Write down your reasons for quitting...review them often to remind yourself of why you are choosing to endure withdrawl from nicotine! It is not easy - but it can be done...and you can do it!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: July 28, 2005 11:16 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Deztynee, and a great big welcome to woofmang. You'll find all the support you need right here so please post whenever you want to.

I'm 68 and had smoked 1 1/2 packs a day for over 45 years. If I can quit, so can you. You've received great advice in the preceeding posts. Please take the time to visit the sites Deb suggested. The modules at ALA's Freedom From Smoking site really got me off to a good start. Reading the materials at whyquit.com cemented my longing to be free and all my friends here at woofmang have held me up when I've been about to falter.

I kept a journal in the beginning. This not only gave me something to do with my hands when a crave appeared but it gave me lessons to remember and re-read during the months of quitting. I now feel like a true non-smoker and am enjoying life so much more these days.

You, too, can enjoy a life of freedom from Scowling Demon . Stay close. We're all here to lend a hand. Very Happy

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
mtwilsonranch

Quit Date:
January 20, 2006

PostPosted: July 28, 2005 4:53 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Deztynee,

I was also a long term smoker, in fact I was a die hard nicotine junkie....I am 64, smoked 2 to 3 paks a day for 50 years.........

Quitting this addiction is not easy, but it can be done, as others have shown the way. Seeing each crave to smoke as healing and understanding that we must pass through these urges to get to the other side.....Choosing not to feed this addiction.

I find that deep breathing helps me to relax, count slowly 5 in and slowly 5 out, repeat this 5 times.....I also would grab an orange, peel and eat section by section, when I was done, the urge to smoke was gone and I had a tasty treat Very Happy

You have been given good advice by all here, all I can add is just to trust in you, believe in your ability to overcome this addiciton, you can do this one minute at a time,

Pam
1 month, 2 days 12 hrs., 53 min,free of nicotine

Right Now, this minute, this hour, this day, I choose not to feed my addiction....
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 31, 2005 12:10 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Kevin! Do read the "how to stack the odds in your favor!" THe tips there are very valuable and make the difference in success and failure for me.

I am now successful for well over a year, after quitting too many times to count! You can do it too. Have you done the Modules at FFS? VERy helptful! And keep posting!!!!!!!

Margaret
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: