quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A Letter to Dad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > inspirations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tsjay49

Quit Date:
January 1, 2004

PostPosted: August 20, 2005 10:19 AM    Post subject: A Letter to Dad Reply with quote

Letter to Dad

Dad, I wish I had expressed to you, before you left this world, my gratitude for all that you did for me. I took you for granted my whole life, not fully comprehending what great sacrifices you made for me.

You worked two jobs so that you could put me through college without my having to contribute a dime toward the cost of my education. You worked so that I could concentrate fully on my studies without having to hold a part time job.

We didn’t get to do a lot of things together, since you worked a full time job and had your parking lot striping business going at the same time.

I guess we probably spent more time together in painting parking lots than in doing anything else. I’m so glad that I have that time to look back on now. I learned to take pride in what I do as I observed how particular you were to get everything just right for your customers. A parking lot that had been painted by you, Dad, was a parking lot painted by the best. The lines were straight, with no over-spray of paint. The paint would be applied evenly and generously. There would be no spilled paint on the pavement when the job was done.

Despite the fact that you were painting those parking lots to earn money for my education, you still paid me to help you. Even though you did it all for me, you were so good about getting someone else to help you whenever there was something that I wanted to do; I didn’t have to miss out on the fun things that kids do in order to help you paint parking lots. You made life as good for me as you possibly could.

We did get to do a few fun things together, despite all the hours of work that you put in. I remember our camping and fishing trips to the Kankakee River. I enjoyed those times so much. I remember the week during my junior year of high school that you let me skip school and go to Kentucky Lake for crappie fishing with you. I don’t know how you arranged for my absence to be an “excused” absence, but you pulled it off somehow.

Dad, I would have loved to have had more time with you doing the “fun” things, but how can I fault you for working so hard to make life easy for me?

I don’t remember you ever actually telling me that you loved me, but I never doubted that you did. You showed me that you loved me rather than just telling me that you did.

I love you, Dad, and even though you have been gone nearly eleven years now, I somehow believe the Lord is letting you read this letter. No one ever had a better Dad.

Your son,

Tom

If a person with Multiple Personality Disorder threatens suicide, is that considered a hostage situation?

Last edited by tsjay49 on August 20, 2005 4:01 PM; edited 1 time in total
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 20, 2005 10:38 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

Our Dad's had a lot in common...working hard to provide for the family...and a better life for them.

Dad's been gone now for 3 years. I miss him.

I cried reading this...it reminded me of my Dad and similiar memories.

Bless you Tom....a great tribute to "Dad"!

Love and Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
swaneem

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 20, 2005 10:41 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful, Tom. I believe on some level he knows.

Donna
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: August 20, 2005 11:04 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a lovely tribute to your Dad. Whether or not you told him of your love and admiration, he knew and still knows. Dads are very special people when they really, truly care for their families and yours certainly did. Look into the mirror, Tom.

Aren't you following in his footsteps? From what I know about you and your family life, you're sure doing a great job of being a caring Dad. Of course, you had a great teacher.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 20, 2005 12:32 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
mtwilsonranch

Quit Date:
January 20, 2006

PostPosted: August 20, 2005 2:47 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading this brought tears to my eyes,

What a wonderfull acknowledgment of gratitude.....I do believe that he knows what is in your heart, the thread that binds you through all eternity..Your love of a great man...Your father.

Pam

Right Now, this minute, this hour, this day, I choose not to feed my addiction....
Frankiet

Quit Date:
June 14, 2005

PostPosted: August 22, 2005 9:41 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice letter Tom. It makes me appreciate the fact that my dad is 84 years old, in the final rounds, but still standing.

He was an amateur boxer growing up in New York City in the 20's and 30's. He won the golden gloves in the 147lb class.

In 1940, in one of his greatest fights as "Frank the Butcher" he was highlighted in a sports article in the "Daily Mirror" where he and his opponent simultaneously landed knockout punches.

They both hit the mat at the same time and the crowd was cheering their man to get up before the ten count. Well, dad got up on his feet just before the bell and was declared the winner to great delight of the boxing audience.

My dad enjoys good jokes too. I think the one about the hunchback "his face rings a bell" one he especially laughed way too hard.

So, Frank the Butcher is still alive and well. He's been knocked down a few times, but he still keeps getting back up!

My parents and my sister and her family moved to Delaware and live only a few minutes away, so we see each other often.

Thanks for reinforcing those family values. That's what life is all about!

"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: August 23, 2005 1:26 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Tom,

That is a very nice letter. I have written some letters to my mom when she was still living but never to my dad. My dad left this world when I was a kid and I only have one memory of him. He did leave me a half sister across country from me whom I've never met but talk to constantly by phone.

Blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > inspirations All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: