quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

There has never been, one Good cigarette

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtwilsonranch

Quit Date:
January 20, 2006

PostPosted: August 1, 2005 11:55 AM    Post subject: There has never been, one Good cigarette Reply with quote

I just have to rant,

Kevin got me to thinking when he said to stop" romancing the smoke" Exclamation

Do we forget that cigarette is poison.. Within the first 3 days of stopping the feeding, I can BREATH, I stop wheezing, I can walk without sitting down to catch my breath, The dark circles are gone from under my eyes. I feel alive Exclamation Exclamation

My younger brother had part of his lung removed due to cancer, my husband has his lung stapled to his chest, his lung collapsed due to blisters, caused by smoking. I have lost so many friends to this addiction....

Why, when quitting gets further along do we start the romance, the thinking of how good it would be to have one......This is the addiction, this is the lie we have believed for so long, well I am not going to forget that awful cancer delivery system. Smoking was NOT helping me to live

There is NO ONE GOOD cigarette Exclamation Exclamation , with this addiction there is only pain and death...

I will fight for my freedom and I understand that this addiction will be with me for the rest of my life....So I cannot afford to forget the lie..............

Pam
1 month, 6 days, 7 hrs., 53 min free of nicotine

Right Now, this minute, this hour, this day, I choose not to feed my addiction....
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 1, 2005 12:00 PM    Post subject: Re: There has never been, one Good cigarette Reply with quote

Amen Pam!!

mtwilsonranch wrote:
...So I cannot afford to forget the lie..............

Exactly!!! Not falling for the "warm fuzzy" idea of smoking and seeing it for what it truly is....a KILLER!

Kudos Girl!!! We all needed to hear this!!! Wink Very Happy

Big Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
swaneem

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 1, 2005 12:29 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES. YES, PAM....RIGHT ON!!!!

IF WE CAN'T BREATHE.....WE'RE DEAD......SIMPLE AS THAT!!!

Donna
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 1, 2005 2:27 PM    Post subject: Re: There has never been, one Good cigarette Reply with quote

mtwilsonranch wrote:
....The dark circles are gone from under my eyes....

How did you do that? Mine are still here! Shocked Shocked Shocked lol!!!! Wink

Awesome rant, Pam! I hope a whole bunch of "newbies" read what you said! Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: August 1, 2005 6:22 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Ms. Pam! I think some choose to return to smoking because it is easier than dealing with all the emotions that rise to the surface when we Quit. Perhaps that is why we look at that time as easier and more carefree. Just a thought. . . . Cool

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 1, 2005 7:44 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonya,

I do believe you have hit on a huge truth! Wink

You know, it's so true. When we quit all this "stuff and baggage" starts to ooze out. We can either face our emotions and deal with them, or let it scare us into hightailing it to get a cigarette. It's so easy to just light up, instead of actually having to cope with the reality of it. Of course, lighting up, we just bury all that stuff all over again.

What's sad, is when we ditch the quit for an easier time, then we miss out on all the good that results from "dealing" with our emotional turmoil, whatever it may be. Plus, with the quit, we begin to experience the beautiful freedom. I'm not just talking freedom from the addiction, but freedom in who we are becoming, and freedom in the journey to really know ourselves. (Making any sense here?)

Thanks, Tonya!!! It's a really good observation! One, I know, I've been thinking about lately! Wink Smile Cool

Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
iwantosing

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 1, 2005 9:08 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad I saw an older man once, years ago with a t-shirt that said "Don't worry cancer will cure your smoking". He must have lost someone he loved to it. Peg

My name is Peg, I decided I wanted to sing to the Lord, run with my son, laugh and learn to whistle, the cigs had to go!! Quit Date 3/28/05
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: August 1, 2005 9:49 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

the other whopper of a lie...."I'll just have one cigarette"....

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: August 2, 2005 2:05 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi Pam,

When some people get further along in their quit they forget how bad smoking really is, and they start to romance the smoke. I have fallen victim to that lie before. That is why writing in a journal about your quit can come in handy to re-read when you do start to romance that smoke. I hope I answered your question.

I hate what smoking does to people.

You are doing a wonderful job with your quit. Very Happy

Blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Tammy

Quit Date:
February 16, 2004

PostPosted: August 3, 2005 12:28 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pam, That is a question I have asked myself a million times since coming to the boards. Why oh why does any one ever romance the smoke? Why do they miss it? Why do they mourn for it? Why do they say they miss thier best friend? BEST FRIEND! gerrrrrrrrr It is NOT A BEST FRIEND! A best friend loves you and protects you, does good for you. Cigaretts do not do that. No, they slowly kill you everyday!

Why? Why? Why? It is a killer. It is a deceiver. It is a liar. IT IS AN ADDICTION! We are all addicts, addicted to nicotine. Yes the nicotine withdraw can play games with our heads and bodies for the first few days but after that you have a choice stay free and love it or...............

I can not tell you the number of times I have asked myself if a person is all that possitively miserable why did they want to quit in the first place? I can tell you I do not have that kind of..... what ever that is to do that. I wanted to quit smoking because it had me in such bondage. My entire life was revolving around the next fix. I was ashamed. I was sick of not being able to take a deep breath and sick of not having any stamina; among other reasons. So if I decided to quit why in the world am I gonna look back and cry cause I can't smoke. Makes NO sense to me. Never has never will.

GeeeeeeeZ That touched a nerve I guess. I think I been needing to get that out of me. Shocked

I must addd that quitting is a process and we all need help understanding the addiction. I just don't get the 'romance the smoke' stuff. Question

Tammy
Free and loving it!
Simone

Quit Date:
April 28, 2005

PostPosted: August 28, 2005 9:53 AM    Post subject: This is my holy grail I have 3 copies printed so I can never Reply with quote

31- is my fave !!

41 Excellent Tips For Gaining Freedom From Nicotine

1. Quitting smoking is not as hard as you think. Once you begin to be honest with yourself and to look at the facts about smoking, it will become a pleasure to remove this addiction from your life.

2. Square off with your smoking habit. Look at it and size it up. Ask yourself exactly what it is doing for you; then ask yourself what it is not doing for you. You can begin with your hair and work your way down to the tips of your toes. It is a medical fact that smoking affects every organ in the human body in a harmful way.

3. Look at quitting cigarettes as giving yourself a gift-a very big gift. You are giving yourself a better quality of life and, very possibly, a longer life. You are giving yourself a healthier body. You are giving yourself more self-esteem. Wrap all this in a package and look at it for the gift it really is, then "Go for it!"

4. Set a date. Make a commitment. Give it a try. Remember, it is alright if you don't succeed at first. Just keep trying. The only way you can lose is by ceasing to try.

5. Don't look at it as if you are giving up something. This makes it seem too much like a loss. What you are really doing is tossing something out of your life that has done you harm and doesn't belong here anymore. You are throwing away pure garbage. No longer are you going to allow your lungs to be a resting place for nicotine and tars.

6. Always keep a positive attitude. After all, this is one of the most positive things you've ever done. Stay away from negative people and worrisome situations.

7. Quit for yourself. Even though your family and loved ones will benefit tremendously from your quitting, it is you that will benefit most.

8. Treat giving up smoking with the respect it rightly deserves. Become willing to go to any lengths to remove it from your life. If you are not willing, try praying for the willingness. This usually works.

9. Look up the word 'nicotine' in your dictionary and write down the definition in big letters: "A poisonous alkaloid used as an insecticide.' Put it where you can see it.

10. Don't say "I'll take my chances' and continue to smoke. They are not ours to take. We didn't give ourselves life and we don't have the right to "take our chances" on giving it away. That is up to God.

11. Don't fool yourself by saying you have too many pressures in your life right now to give up cigarettes. If you are smoking, this in itself is a very great pressure. Every day is a gamble and your life is at stake. By getting nicotine out of your life, other things will become easier to handle. You will feel better about yourself and you will have more energy. You will have accomplished something more meaningful than all the money and material objects you could ever acquire. You will have given yourself what no one else could give you. You will no longer have the pressures of being a smoker.

12. Don't use the excuse that you might gain weight to justify your continuing to smoke. Even if you do gain a little, the fact that you will be more active and will get more exercise should counteract any weight gain. Remember, overeating, not stopping smoking, causes weight gain.

13. Plan to do things that will keep your mind off smoking. Sometimes our minds can be our worst enemies. They will tell us that we need a cigarette for just about any reason that is handy at the time. By doing things like going to the movies in the non-smoking section, munching on corn or sucking on a lollipop, we can keep our minds occupied and get a break. Go to museums and other places where smoking isn't allowed. Swimming is a good idea, too.

14. Quit smoking one day at a time and think only about the part of the day you are in. "I am not going to smoke before noon." "I am not going to smoke before three o'clock." Sometimes just do it one hour at a time. This is a lot easier than trying to quit forever.

15. Don't subject yourself to smoky situations. If you do come in contact with someone who is smoking, just say to yourself "He is having the cigarette I might be having"; then, be grateful you don't have to have it.

16. While you are quitting. Look at it as an investment. Once you have quit for one hour, you have invested this hour in becoming a healthier person. Now, invest one more hour. Continue to add to your investment hour by hour. It will grow and become more valuable as the hours go by. You will begin to see and feel the rewards from this investment more and more. Protect and guard it just as you would a treasure.

17. Start being kind to yourself, It is the beginning of a new way of life for you and you are the most important one there. Treat yourself with respect and love and, remember, you are no longer filling your system with poison every few minutes. Breathe the clean air and breathe it deeply. Smell the different and wonderful fragrances. Begin to spend time outdoors close to nature. Many new sensations await you.

18. Don't get too angry. If we are angry, our minds tell us we need a cigarette to cope. Until your mind learns that it doesn't need a cigarette to cope, try to avoid situations that might be setting you up. Avoid certain people that may bother you. If there is a lot of tension at work, try to get a few days off. If you can't get some time off, quit smoking on a long weekend. Avoid, as best you can, things like getting stuck in traffic. Use a lot of caution. Anger can be very destructive.

19. Don't get too hungry. It is amazing how our minds will tell us that everything's wrong when all we really need to do is eat.

20. Don't get too tired. If we are tired, it is easy to become irritated and when we get irritated our minds will tell us that a cigarette will help. Our overall resistance becomes weak and it is easy to say, "Oh well, I guess I'll smoke."

21. Don't get too lonely. It is good to know some people who are going through the same thing. By going to Nicotine Anonymous meetings you can get phone numbers of such people.

22. You can remember these four things by the word "HALT." Hungry, angry, lonely, tired. If you feel you need a cigarette, check. Make sure you are not experiencing any of these.

23. Don't get too bored. It is hard to just sit and not smoke. Keep busy. Find things to do that you enjoy. Bike riding, hiking, swimming, exploring new places, trying new restaurants. This is the time to indulge yourself.

24. Have something to fidget with. We are accustomed to holding a cigarette; being without one might leave our hands at a loss. Get a small rubber ball or a yo-yo. Play dough is good also, or a piece of clay.

25. Have something handy to put in your mouth. Life Savers are good, or any slowly dissolving candy. Beef jerky and lollipops help, too. Avoid fattening foods like cookies. They don't last long and they fill you up. Experiment while you are still smoking to see what will relieve the craving. If Life Savers work, then stock up. Just a note of caution: don't use this type of substitute on a long-term basis.

26. If you always have a cigarette with a cup of coffee, stop drinking coffee before you quit smoking.

27. Don't drink alcohol while you are quitting. Once alcohol is in your system your defenses will diminish greatly.

28. Remember that the discomfort you experience in the first 2 weeks will definitely come to an end and you will never have to go through it again.

29. Frequently give yourself a pat on the back. What you are doing isn't easy by any means. It takes a lot of guts to try to quit smoking.

30. If you are feeling pain from withdrawal, let it become a lasting memory to serve as a reminder of exactly how strong the drug nicotine is and how hooked you really are.

31. Remember, every minute you were sucking on cigarettes they were sucking on you. They were sucking the very life out of you. Don't let them have any more.

32. Avoid the self-pity trap. If we begin to feel sorry for ourselves, our minds will tell us that we deserve a cigarette to make us feel better.

33. Remember, if you just keep trying, you will win. It is good against evil and the odds are stacked in your favor.

34. Before quitting, plan your activities for the first few days after you quit. This way you won't have to make too many decisions while you are withdrawing. At first, making decisions may be hard without a cigarette.

35. If you are not going to quit right away, then start cutting down. If you smoke 2 packs a day and you cut back 1 cigarette a day for a month, you will be down to just 10 cigarettes a day. Some people, however, have found cutting back to be almost as hard as quitting.

36. Drink lots of liquids to help flush the poison out of your system. Orange juice is good because smoking depletes the vitamin C content in our bodies.

37. Remember, it is the first cigarette that gets you started. It takes only one. This is the one you don't have. You can always put off lighting that first one for a little while. Don't fool yourself and think you can start and stop at will. You can't. Many people have tried this and gone on to live the rest of their lives never to experience freedom from nicotine again.

38. Frequently remind yourself about the differences you have noticed in yourself. Things like: Your breath no longer smells like a dirty ashtray. Your teeth are beginning to lose their yellow color and look bright and clean. Your fingers aren't stained from tobacco. That sickly sounding smoker's cough is disappearing. Your senses of smell and taste are returning. Your complexion is beginning to Improve. Your general attitude about yourself is better because you are beginning to really care about yourself.

39. Give it away. Whenever you have a chance to give your experience, strength and hope to another smoker, use it. This act of giving will insure your chances for staying off nicotine and give strength to your program. There is much reward in helping someone else to gain freedom from this harmful substance.

40. Have a follow-up program. Don't assume it is over because you have made it through a couple of weeks. Nicotine is very cunning. Continue to attend Nicotine Anonymous meetings. If there are no meetings in your area, help to get one started. It is very simple. All you need are a place to meet and a few interested people.

41. When you want to smoke, read this list of tips.
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 28, 2005 7:15 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really good post with lots of awesome truths!!!! Wink

Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: August 28, 2005 9:51 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

The longer you remain quit, the more questions will surface...Why will slap you in the face over and over...you will question so many different aspects of your life both past and present....it is truly a journey worth taking.
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: