quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

can of worms

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > taking action
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leona

Quit Date:
June 1, 2017

PostPosted: September 9, 2005 1:09 PM    Post subject: can of worms Reply with quote

looks like I opened a can of worms here so I deleted the content. I agreed with it but that is just me. So instead of starting a controversial war I will withdraw.

Quiting smoking is like a fine wine ......
It just gets better with age.

Last edited by Leona on September 9, 2005 8:45 PM; edited 1 time in total
mtwilsonranch

Quit Date:
January 20, 2006

PostPosted: September 9, 2005 3:15 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what is wrong with this picture?????? It is only asking for an investigation into the Federal Response,,,, well what about the investigation into the State and City failure to respond...and prepare??????

It is for this very reason I turned off my t.v. I am getting so angry at all the politics being played out...

And here it is again, ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Pam

Right Now, this minute, this hour, this day, I choose not to feed my addiction....
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: September 9, 2005 4:26 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Pam. Our concentration now should be humanitarian relief. From what I'm hearing, the outpouring of love is overwhelming.

In our area today four large supermarkets, along with a local radio station, are collecting necessities for setting up a household -- truckloads of them -- for the people who have been (and will be) displaced into the St. Louis area. They've filled many huge 18-wheelers with buckets, brooms, paper supplies, detergent, etc. Once a truck is filled, another takes it's place.

Let's forget about the politics and put our efforts where they'll help others.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 9, 2005 7:12 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

apparently, senator clinton is more interested in pointing fingers than in helping the victims of this disaster. i wish i could say it's surprising to me that she's so callous that she'd try to make political hay from this situation, but i can't; i have to say that my opinion of her has slipped to an all-time low (and it was never that high to begin with)...

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
jahunta

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 9, 2005 7:26 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I got that email too, and all I can think is to say, Do we really need another friggin' COMMISSION? It no longer matters what went wrong. We know what went wrong. A guy who trains horses, got put up as the head of FEMA...Helloooo....Our president did a low flyby over N'awlins, and didn't so much as bat an eye gettin' back to whereever he was getting to. Didn't stop to see what the REAL damage was...Why do we need a commission to point fingers, when we know where to point already???

Quitting is Living!!!
QD: 2/15/04
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 9, 2005 8:04 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the National Review, September 8, 2005:

Greens vs. Levees

Destructive river-management philosophy.

By John Berlau

With all that has happened in the state, it’s understandable that the Louisiana chapter of the Sierra Club may not have updated its website. But when its members get around to it, they may want to change the wording of one item in particular. The site brags that the group is “working to keep the Atchafalaya Basin,” which adjoins the Mississippi River not far from New Orleans, “wet and wild.”

These words may seem especially inappropriate after the breaking of the levee that caused the tragic events in New Orleans last week. But “wet and wild” has a larger significance in light of those events, and so does the group using the phrase. The national Sierra Club was one of several environmental groups who sued the Army Corps of Engineers to stop a 1996 plan to raise and fortify Mississippi River levees.

The Army Corps was planning to upgrade 303 miles of levees along the river in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Arkansas. This was needed, a Corps spokesman told the Baton Rouge, La., newspaper The Advocate, because “a failure could wreak catastrophic consequences on Louisiana and Mississippi which the states would be decades in overcoming, if they overcame them at all.”

But a suit filed by environmental groups at the U.S. District Court in New Orleans claimed the Corps had not looked at “the impact on bottomland hardwood wetlands.” The lawsuit stated, “Bottomland hardwood forests must be protected and restored if the Louisiana black bear is to survive as a species, and if we are to ensure continued support for source population of all birds breeding in the lower Mississippi River valley.” In addition to the Sierra Club, other parties to the suit were the group American Rivers, the Mississippi River Basin Alliance, and the Louisiana, Arkansas and Mississippi Wildlife Federations.

the rest of the story...

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 9, 2005 8:07 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the Associated Press, September 8, 2005:

Democrats' anti-Bush petition also seeks political contributions

By DEVLIN BARRETT
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON -- A new Democratic effort to whip up indignation about the Bush administration's handling of Hurricane Katrina also tried to raise money for Democratic candidates.

Sen. Charles Schumer, a New York Democrat and the head of the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, issued an appeal Thursday urging people to sign an online petition to fire the head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency over his handling of the Katrina response.

After an inquiry from the Associated Press, the DSCC quickly pulled down the page and said they would donate to charity any money raised by the anti-FEMA petition.

When recipients clicked on a link to the petition, the top center of the screen above the call to "Fire the FEMA director" had asked for a donation to the DSCC.

Other DSCC Web pages have the same appeal for contributions, but several do not.

Since Katrina, Democrats have charged Republicans badly botched the response, and some have called for the firing of FEMA chief Michael Brown.

In recent days, Republicans hit back by accusing Democrats of trying to use the human tragedy for political gain. The letter, the GOP said Thursday, was proof.

"It's a disgrace to exploit Hurricane Katrina to raise political funds," said Brian Nick, spokesman for the National Republican Senatorial Committee.

"They should halt this activity because it's way over the line," he said.

DSCC spokesman Phil Singer said: "While the content of the letter is totally valid, it should have never been linked to a Web site that asks people to contribute to political campaigns. We regret it, have removed the letter from our site and will donate any contributions raised as a result of this petition to the Red Cross."

The letter is the latest sign that more than a week after Hurricane Katrina struck, the political fight over what went wrong in the response continues to grow.

Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton has called for an independent commission to probe government failures before and after Katrina, while House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi called Bush "oblivious, in denial, dangerous" in his approach to relief efforts.

Rep. Thomas Reynolds, head of the House Republicans' fund-raising efforts, described Democratic criticism as "reprehensible," saying "this is a tragedy, not an opportunity."

The administration and Republican leaders in Congress are scrambling to launch a number of initiatives to help hurricane refugees and victims, including a new $51 billion aid package.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 9, 2005 8:21 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

and one more; from the Irish Times, November 8, 2005:

Ill wind may not blow to the Whitehouse

By Newton Emerson

As the full horror of Hurricane Katrina sinks in, thousands of desperate columnists are asking if this is the end of George Bush's presidency. The answer is almost certainly yes, provided that every copy of the US Constitution was destroyed in the storm. Otherwise President Bush will remain in office until noon on January 20th, 2009, as required by the 20th Amendment, after which he is barred from seeking a third term anyway under the 22nd Amendment.

As the full horror of this sinks in, thousands of desperate columnists are asking if the entire political agenda of George Bush's second term will not still be damaged in some terribly satisfying way.

The answer is almost certainly yes, provided that the entire political agenda of George Bush's second term consists of repealing the 22nd Amendment. Otherwise, with a clear Republican majority in both Houses of Congress, he can carry on doing pretty much whatever he likes.

As the full horror of this sinks in, thousands of desperate columnists are asking if the Republican Party itself will now suffer a setback at the congressional mid-term elections next November.

The answer is almost certainly yes, provided that people outside the disaster zone punish their local representatives for events elsewhere a year previously, both beyond their control and outside their remit, while people inside the disaster zone reward their local representatives for an ongoing calamity they were supposed to prevent. Otherwise, the Democratic Party will suffer a setback at the next congressional election.

As the full horror of this sinks in, thousands of desperate columnists are asking if an official inquiry will shift the blame for poor planning and inadequate flood defences on to the White House. The answer is almost certainly yes, provided nobody admits that emergency planning is largely the responsibility of city and state agencies, and nobody notices that the main levee which broke was the only levee recently modernised with federal funds. Otherwise, an official inquiry will pin most of the blame on the notoriously corrupt and incompetent local governments of New Orleans and Louisiana.

As the full horror of this sinks in, thousands of desperate columnists are asking if George Bush contributed to the death toll by sending so many national guard units to Iraq.

The answer is almost certainly yes, provided nobody recalls that those same columnists have spent the past two years blaming George Bush for another death toll by not sending enough national guard units to Iraq. Otherwise, people might wonder why they have never previously read a single article advocating large-scale military redeployment during the Caribbean hurricane season.

As the full horror of this sinks in, thousands of desperate columnist are asking how a civilised city can descend into anarchy.

The answer is that only a civilised city can descend into anarchy.

As the full horror of this sinks in, thousands of desperate columnists are asking if George Bush should be held responsible for the terrible poverty in the southern states revealed by the flooding.

The answer is almost certainly yes, provided nobody holds Bill Clinton responsible for making Mississippi the poorest state in the union throughout his entire term as president, or for making Arkansas the second-poorest state in the union throughout his entire term as governor. Otherwise, people might suspect that it is a bit more complicated than that.

As the full horror of this sinks in, thousands of desperate columnists are asking if George Bush should not be concerned by accusations of racism against the federal government.

The answer is almost certainly yes, provided nobody remembers that Jesse Jackson once called New York "Hymietown" and everybody thinks Condoleezza Rice went shopping for shoes when the hurricane struck because she cannot stand black people.

Otherwise sensible Americans of all races will be more concerned by trite, cynical and dangerous political opportunism.

As the full horror of that sinks in, this columnist is simply glad that everybody cares.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: September 9, 2005 8:37 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen. Politics stinks!!

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
swaneem

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 9, 2005 8:58 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

The incompetency is glaring.....wow...what an eye opener. It's always so easy to talk isn't it. You don't need a commission....it's obvious.

And wow....look at the ordinary people or should I say extraordinary...helping in every way possible...offering their homes, time, and money. And in the areas hit by Katrina....feeding, housing, and rescuing when no one else came. For me this was so uplifting to see. My State is also very involved.....by that I mean people like you and I. A lot of good people.

Donna

Just when the caterpillar thought his world was
coming to an end..........God made him a
BUTTERFLY.
mtwilsonranch

Quit Date:
January 20, 2006

PostPosted: September 9, 2005 9:23 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Kevin for these articles,

I am concerned and afraid of the politican who, in the middle of a tragedy, jumps on the bandwagon of opportunity..Are they concerned for the victims or their political gain?????

There are so many people reaching out and coming together to help..This is what the message should be..................

Pam

Right Now, this minute, this hour, this day, I choose not to feed my addiction....
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: September 10, 2005 1:27 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy This post is very upsetting to me as it reminds me of the 15 year friendship that I lost due to a political difference. That is all I'm saying.

Blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: September 10, 2005 4:47 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the Fort Worth Star Telegram - September 9

Red tape hampers many who were willing to lend a hand

By Darren Barbee

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Before the last gales of Hurricane Katrina had died out, another force was paralyzing trucks, dumbfounding doctors and generally infuriating anyone in its path: red tape.

Spools of it.

Dr. Michael Basco of Colleyville and a medical team arrived in Baton Rouge, La., last week to tend to seriously ill patients. Basco was told that he would have to come back four hours later -- to fill out the proper paperwork.

Portland, Ore., sent 20 veteran firefighters to help. They ended up in the Metroplex, but not before the Federal Emergency Management Agency sent them to Atlanta for a full day of diversity and sexual-harassment awareness training. They had already had similar training at home.

An ice delivery company in Wisconsin wanted to station trucks in Dallas for relief efforts. Trucks, loaded up with 44,000 pounds of ice, were held back in Wisconsin by FEMA until after the storm hit, delaying them for two days.

Much of the blame for the bureaucratic whirlpools is leveled at FEMA. An agency spokesman, Ross Fredenburg, said that FEMA's goal is to help overwhelmed state and local governments and that the agency is doing its best to do so now. But the agency has rules, which include mandated training for firefighters and registration for doctors.

"We're all very sad at what occurred there in New Orleans," Fredenburg said in a telephone interview from Austin. "We're trying to help out with the evacuees and make sure they're sheltered as well as possible."

But some frustrated doctors, charity leaders and evacuees said they had success only by bypassing the federal and local system altogether.

Basco, a Colleyville obstetrician and board member of the Tarrant County Medical Society, was ready to head to Louisiana with a team of nurses and doctors within 48 hours of Katrina's landfall.

He was told that his assignment would come from FEMA. Another 48 hours passed before he decided to take a team on his own.

Loaded up with their own medical supplies, Basco, 14 nurses and two other doctors went to Baton Rouge. After being told to wait again to fill out paperwork, he and his group set up their own makeshift hospital in a deserted Kmart.

"There was plenty of work to do," Basco said.

Mohamed Elmougy also ran into obstacles. He let evacuees stay for free at the AmeriHost Inn in Allen the day before Katrina hit.

On Monday, FEMA informed him that it would reimburse him for the cost of housing evacuees, leaving Elmougy and the evacuees to pay for food, clothing and medical care. Elmougy said that if it weren't for mosques and churches, the evacuees would have nothing.

"FEMA hasn't done anything of significance as far as victims are concerned," he said.

Fredenburg said FEMA relies on relief organizations and local governments to provide initial assistance, then steps in when those agencies are overwhelmed.

Basco was likely delayed because he was not registered with one of FEMA's disaster medical assistance teams, Fredenburg said. Basco said FEMA officials never told him to register.

As for the Portland firefighters, Fredenburg said all federal officers, including those who are sworn in temporarily, are required to complete training before they can provide aid. FEMA has put the Portland group and other trained emergency personnel to work signing up evacuees for federal aid in Metroplex shelters.

Dan Wessels, owner of Cool Express of Wisconsin, a refrigerated-trucking company in Blue River, Wis., blames "a little bit of bureaucracy" for the delay in getting his trucks to Dallas.

Wessels, who has supplied ice during FEMA relief efforts for four years, said he's not surprised by the delays.

"This may sound weird, but the efficiency and the amount of time delayed on this hurricane has actually been 10 times better than hurricanes" in the past.

Some evacuees staying at hotels in Arlington and Grand Prairie said FEMA's delayed reaction has taken an emotional toll.

Rahsheen Lewis, who worked at a La Quinta Inn in New Orleans, and five family members have been given free lodging at the chain's Arlington motel. But he and others who are not registered with FEMA can't get federal aid and are frustrated because they can't get through to the agency.

Lewis' phone calls have been met by a recorded message that disconnects shortly thereafter.

"The federal government has no problem taking their money out of your paycheck," Lewis said. "Emotionally, we're fragile. The government can at least let us know that it cares."

In the meantime, the Tarrant County Muslim community is helping until FEMA financial relief kicks in. On Thursday afternoon, several Muslim charity workers met with evacuees at the La Quinta and at Hampton Inn in Grand Prairie and wrote $150 checks to 50 families.

"These are our neighbors, and we needed to step up to the plate and help," said Jamal Qaddura, a member of Dar El-Eman, a south Arlington mosque.

Elsewhere, miscues stemmed from unforeseen complications or communication problems.

On Sunday, volunteers at First United Methodist Church in downtown Fort Worth scrambled to prepare 52 beds for evacuees that city officials had said were needed. The evacuees did not come Monday or Tuesday. Finally, the Rev. Tim Bruster, senior pastor, read in the Star-Telegram on Wednesday that no more were coming.

But Bruster compliments city officials who were in frequent contact with him despite helping create a shelter they didn't need.

"The city seemed to be pretty much on top of it," he said.

Basco, the Colleyville physician, is still determined to help. His company has approved time off for him with pay and now he's ready to return to Louisiana.

"So now, I need FEMA to let me go," he said.

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: September 10, 2005 4:56 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the Fort Worth Star Telegram - September 9

Debate heating up on 'brain drain' at agency

By Spencer S. Hsu

The Washington Post

WASHINGTON - Five of eight top Federal Emergency Management Agency officials came to their posts with virtually no experience in handling disasters and now lead an agency whose ranks of seasoned crisis managers have thinned dramatically since the 9-11 attacks.

FEMA's top three leaders -- Director Michael Brown, Chief of Staff Patrick Rhode and Deputy Chief of Staff Brooks Altshuler -- arrived with ties to President Bush's 2000 campaign or to the White House advance operation, according to the agency. Two other senior operational jobs are filled by a former Republican lieutenant governor of Nebraska and a U.S. Chamber of Commerce official who was once a political operative.

Meanwhile, veterans such as U.S. hurricane specialist Eric Tolbert and World Trade Center disaster managers Laurence Zensinger and Bruce Baughman -- who led FEMA's offices of response, recovery and preparedness, respectively -- have left since 2003, taking jobs as consultants or state emergency managers, according to current and former officials.

Because of the turnover, three of the five FEMA chiefs for natural disaster-related operations and nine of 10 regional directors are working in an acting capacity, agency officials said.

Patronage appointments to the crisis-response agency are nothing new to Washington administrations. But inexperience in FEMA's top ranks is emerging as a key concern of local, state and federal leaders as investigators begin to sift through what the government has admitted was a bungled response to Hurricane Katrina.

"FEMA requires strong leadership and experience because state and local governments rely on them," said Trina Sheets, executive director of the National Emergency Management Association. "When you don't have trained, qualified people in those positions, the program suffers as a whole."

Last week's greatest foe was, of course, a storm of such magnitude that it "overwhelmed" all levels of government, according to Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine. And several top FEMA officials are well-regarded by state and private counterparts in disaster preparedness and response.

They include Edward Buikema, acting director of response since February, and Kenneth Burris, acting chief of operations, a career firefighter and former Marietta, Ga., fire chief.

But scorching criticism has been aimed at FEMA, and it starts at the top with Brown, who has admitted to errors in responding to Hurricane Katrina and the flooding in New Orleans. Brown was hired to the agency by former FEMA director Joe Allbaugh -- the 2000 Bush campaign manager and a college friend of Brown's -- after the latter's rocky tenure as commissioner of a horse sporting group came to an end.

Rhode, Brown's chief of staff, is a former television reporter who came to Washington as advance deputy director for Bush's Austin-based 2000 campaign and then the White House. He joined FEMA in April 2003 after stints at the Commerce Department and the U.S. Small Business Administration.

Altshuler is a former presidential advance man. His predecessor, Scott Morris, was a media strategist for Bush with the Austin firm Maverick Media.

David Maurstad, who stepped down as Nebraska lieutenant governor in 2001 to join FEMA, has served as acting director for risk reduction and federal insurance administrator since June 2004. Daniel Craig, a one-time political fund-raiser and campaign adviser, came to FEMA in 2001 from the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, where he directed the eastern regional office, after working as a lobbyist for the National Rural Electric Cooperative Association.

Department of Homeland Security spokesman Russ Knocke said Brown has managed more than 160 natural disasters as FEMA general counsel and deputy director since 2001, "hands-on experience [that] cannot be understated. Other leadership at FEMA brings particular skill sets -- policy management leadership, for example."

The agency has a deep bench of career professionals, said FEMA spokeswoman Nicol Andrews, including two dozen senior field coordinators and Gil Jamieson, director of risk assessment. Andrews said the "acting" designation for regional officials is a designation that signifies that they are FEMA civil servants -- not political appointees.

Experts inside and out of government said a "brain drain" of experienced disaster hands throughout the agency, hastened in part by the appointment of leaders without backgrounds in emergency management, has weakened the agency's ability to respond to natural disasters. Some security experts and congressional critics say the exodus was fueled by a bureaucratic reshuffling in Washington in 2003, when FEMA was stripped of its independent Cabinet-level status and folded into the Department of Homeland Security.

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
jahunta

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 12, 2005 5:10 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's never anything wrong with a little healthy debate, Leona. It's also wonderful to see so many people concerned with our current state as a nation.

Nita

Quitting is Living!!!
QD: 2/15/04
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > taking action All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: