quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

quitnet repost: "crs syndrome" explained

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > life beyond the smokescreen
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 1, 2005 10:03 AM    Post subject: quitnet repost: "crs syndrome" explained Reply with quote

"chris the science geek" is a scientist (chemist) by trade, a writer by avocation, and a long-time "q-ster" (quitnet slang for a quitter or a member of quitnet). he wrote a series of articles on various quit phenomena, such as "crs (can't remember sh*t) syndrome", "quitzits", and "quitulence" (do i have to explain that?). here's the first of those articles:

----

This is for any newbies (or even oldbies) that wonder, "why is it I feel so light-headed, dopey and stoned now that I have quit smoking...?"

Well, pull up a chair and Chris the Science Geek will tell you why...

<cue dream sequence music and spinning spiral...>

When you burn the leaves of tobacco and inhale the combustion products, you inevidibly inhale a whole bunch of a certain chemical called carbon monoxide. You may be familiar with this chemical; it's the same one that spews out of the, uh , "backside" of your car. So, yup, it's kinda like doing tailpipe hits. The carbon monoxide, aka "CO", takes up space in your bloodstream that would normally be occupied by another certian chemical that goes by the name of oxygen, aka O2. Funny thing is, your body uses the O2 but can *not* use the CO. In fact, in large enough doses, CO will suffocate/poison you. This is why doctors do not recommend that you get into your car in a closed garage, run a hose from the tailpipe into the window and start the engine. Take it from me, this is a Bad Idea.

Anyway, your body, being the unbelievable wondrous machine that it is, responds to this mini-suffocation that you are inflicting on it by increasing something called your "packed red cell count". Why does your body do this, you ask? I'll tell you why: in your blood are cells (they're red, go figure) that carry O2 from your lungs to other parts of your body. Because the CO uses up some of their ability to carry O2, you need more to carry the amount of O2 you need to live. So, your body produces about 10-20% more red blood cells. When your doctor is looking at your blood they will often separate out the red blood cells by spinning your blood in a centrifuge. The red blood cells all go to the bottom of the test tube, nicely compacted. The doctor measures the volume of these packed cells and that number is called (wait for it) the packed red cell volume. Neato, huh?!

Because humans have a pretty consistent level of red cells, doctors can actually tell if you are a smoker by looking at your level.

So, now your body is happily chugging along, coughing and hacking a lot but at least getting enough O2 to keep you alive. Then you quit smoking. Very rapidly the reduction in CO that you are breathing causes a precipitous drop in the amount of CO in your blood. But here YOU are, still walking around with 10-20% higher O2 carrying ability. So, you get a little, well, giddy. Kinda dopey. Hell, you're stoned, let's call it what it is. You are actually walking around in a state of constant, low-level hyperventilation.

Eventually your body realizes the big favor you have done it and stops producing red blood cells for awhile so that you can get back down to your normal level. When that happens, the dizziness will go away.

What can you do about it? Well, my advice is to breathe deeply and enjoy this free buzz. Ever hear of oxygen bars over in Tokyo? Well, they have them. You go in and belly up to the bar, lay down your coin and huff pure oxygen for awhile. But YOU get to do it for free!!! Take advantage of your inebriated state and blame absolutely every little mistake, faux pas and error on it. You won't often get this opportunity so DON'T BLOW IT!!!

One more word of advice: you may want to avoid making major decisions, operating heavy equipment or performing death-defying stunts for awhile. Ya just never know...

This has been a public service announcement by Chris the Science Geek. No warranty, expressed or implied, is given - use at your own risk. Offer void where prohibited, please allow 10-12 weeks for delivery. Your mileage may vary.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 1, 2005 10:44 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,

I love this guy! His writing is cracking me up laughing...and got the info I was looking for.

So, I'm stoned on oxygen. Cool! Wink Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
No wonder I'm so happy, motivated, and high on life this morning! Hey, it beats the fatigue I just went through last week. Oh yeah, loving life smokefree!

Thanks for posting this great stuff!

"Blonde" for Now Wink Very Happy
Deb

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
Marty G

Quit Date:
September 28, 2004

PostPosted: March 1, 2005 10:34 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

More good info...

Deb...just reading your posts cheers me up...

Take a couple of deep breaths for me, will ya?

- Marty
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: March 2, 2005 7:56 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kevin! We all need to read this no matter where we are in our quit!
This guy is good!

God Bless!

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: March 3, 2005 12:24 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had read some of his posts before but thanks so much for making them a sticky....there is alot of information in these.
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
eliandrobyn

Quit Date:
January 15, 2009

PostPosted: March 3, 2005 9:52 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post was great. Had me laughing. Now I know why...hehe.

Eli and Robyn
Fightn4life

Quit Date:
October 23, 2003

PostPosted: March 9, 2005 8:42 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

When does the
Quote:
light-headed, dopey and stoned
feeling leave your system? Shocked

Only kidding...I'd have to go to Tokyo now for that buzz.

He is a hoot...I love reading this stuff.

Sandyz

"Keep your heart open to dreams. For as long as there's a dream, there is hope, and as long as there is hope, there is joy in living."

~Anonymous
Deliciously Weird

Quit Date:
June 27, 2005

PostPosted: June 30, 2005 8:06 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am wondering if there might not be a solution to this problem.

Bare with me now because Biology is NOT my strong subject.

What if when CRS hit annoying proportions we were to go give blood? This would immediately deplete our red blood cells, if not our count. You would of course still have the same count. . .just a decreased volume of blood in your system. However, and here I am so overspeaking my knowledge bass it's just Not funny, I seem to remember somewhere reading that our body produces the liquid part of blood first. . .Plasma. Now. . .given that I am correct in that hypothysis. . .would it then not be possible that the body would adjust a bit quicker. I am assuming that it only produces red blood cells when it registers a low blood oxygen level. Therefore. . . .you would have the influx of plasma and no new red blood cells forth comming. This would decrease your red blood cell count due to the same amount of cells occupying a greater volume of liquid.

Now remember I stated right off the bat I have NO CLUE what I am talking about here. I am a physics/chemistry lady. My Biology is iffy at best.

Heck. . .ya know who cares if it works. . .go do it anyway . . .the Vampires at the Red Cross will love to see you!

Deliciously Weird

~Slipping from sanity
NotKool2smoke

Quit Date:
September 9, 2005

PostPosted: September 13, 2005 12:18 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is awesome. I never looked at it this way (and im an rn student and an ER tech). I love this. In fact, Ijust had some blood test done last month. So I logged on at work to look at my results, and what do you know? My RBC was higher than the normal parameters. I'm going to have it re-checked because after 6 months of quitting, I want to go and have a full physical, like the most through I've ever had (I make a horrible patient and avoid docs as one lol) so it'll be interesting to see if there is a difference. I also have records of old blood tests and they all show a higher rbc, and a higher wbc, which I assumed was from allergies. Maybe its my immune system fighting cigs. And thanks for saying what Ive told others yet was afraid to post-I'm enjoying the dizziness and lightheadness because it does make me feel stoned. Im not into being high but I am into being more laid back right now and fuzzy because Im usually a Type A. A Type A+ if I am having a bad mood swing LOL. Thanks Chris! Lisa
paula234

Quit Date:
May 14, 2006

PostPosted: May 13, 2006 2:58 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

great peice of information i never knew those facts , it's good to know.
BlueEyes

Quit Date:
October 29, 2006

PostPosted: December 27, 2006 12:32 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am wondering how long this lovely 'high' should last? I am still experiencing it, almost two months quit, which seems a bit long, although I really am not complaining. Not sure my boss is overly thrilled though and the "I just quit smoking" excuse is starting to get a little weak, as he finds me staring wonderously at the light pattern on the ceiling..........

Is my husbands second hand smoke contributing to this effect?

Is buporban (Zyban) contributing (I am at one-half the original dose, now at 150 mg a day) but the long-term plan is to move me to Wellbutrin (for other reasons) after a few more months...............

Ah, should I be asking my doc these questions? Embarassed
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 27, 2006 12:54 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

bupropion is the chemical name of the drug that's marketed as zyban and as wellbutrin: the pharmaceutical company (glaxo-smith-kline) that invented it had originally intended it as an anti-depressant (wellbutrin) and while it was in clinical trials for that, noticed that a lot of the participants were spontaneously quitting smoking, so they decided to also market it as a quit-smoking aid (zyban).

i'm not sure if that's contrbuting to your long-term high, but it wouldn't surprise me; bupropion has a laundry list of side effects ranging from unpleasant to fatal*; you might want to read this phyician's handout very carefully:

http://us.gsk.com/products/assets/us_zyban.pdf

* some side effects of zyban listed in the above handout (wellbutrin has a similar laundry list):
  • Seizures. Some patients get seizures while taking ZYBAN. If you have a seizure while taking ZYBAN, stop taking the tablets and call your doctor right away. Do not take ZYBAN again if you have a seizure.

• Hypertension (high blood pressure). Some patients get high blood pressure, sometimes severe, while taking ZYBAN. The chance of high blood pressure may be increased if you also use nicotine replacement therapy (for example, a nicotine patch) to help you stop smoking (see “Can ZYBAN be used at the same time as nicotine patches?”).

• Severe allergic reactions: Stop taking ZYBAN and call your doctor right away if you get a rash, itching, hives, fever, swollen lymph glands, painful sores in the mouth or around the eyes, swelling of the lips or tongue, chest pain, or have trouble breathing. These could be signs of a serious allergic reaction.

• Unusual thoughts or behaviors. Some patients have unusual thoughts or behaviors while taking ZYBAN, including delusions (believe you are someone else), hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not there), paranoia (feeling that people are against you), or feeling confused. If this happens to you, call your doctor.

also, the above handout starts off with a warning that taking this drug may make you suicidal...

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
shandawg

Quit Date:
November 1, 2006

PostPosted: February 21, 2007 6:54 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was that??? HUH, I don't get it! Huh huh huh. Man I'm getting the munchies. Anybody going to 7-11? Pick me up some nachos and a big gulp!! Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing

Imagination is more important than knowledge! Albert Einstein
sherlock

Quit Date:
July 19, 2007

PostPosted: August 16, 2007 6:46 PM    Post subject: getting clean Reply with quote

how long does it take to get rid of all the poisons to leave your body when you stop smoking .my quit date was july 19 20007. im taking a med called chantix and it is helping.i would also like to have all the encourage i can get this time i want it to last and not go back to it i know its filthy![/i]
pinkpearl

Quit Date:
June 30, 2007

PostPosted: August 16, 2007 7:11 PM    Post subject: Re: getting clean Reply with quote

sherlock wrote:
how long does it take to get rid of all the poisons to leave your body when you stop smoking .my quit date was july 19 20007. im taking a med called chantix and it is helping.i would also like to have all the encourage i can get this time i want it to last and not go back to it i know its filthy![/i]

hey sherlock-
nice to see you here.
Its great here!!
did you introduce yourself
in another thread and I missed it??
Make sure and do that if you havent.
good for you quitting!
your only a couple weeks behind me.
Many nice people here, stick around!

My avatars name is moon ray
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > life beyond the smokescreen All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: