quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

When will this @#$% end????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NotKool2smoke

Quit Date:
September 9, 2005

PostPosted: September 12, 2005 2:01 PM    Post subject: When will this @#$% end???? Reply with quote

When is the intense anger gonna go away?? Everyone, everything irritates. I was on another post board, and I got so angry listening to everyone complain and bitch about how after 30 days, they are still jonesing for a cigarette. I do NOT want to go through all of this only to have a month, six months-a year go by and Im still obssessed and craving a cigarette like the posts I read. I want it to be where you eventually "get over" them. My husband passed away years ago, my best friend was murdered-I have experienced many losses-I don't want cigarettes to be in that same catagory of grief and loss-so Im mad at the people who keep posting about how much they miss cigs, how sh&ty they still feel after 3 months-c'mon!!!! I know you don't feel better right away, altho for me, my body DOES feel better almost within the first day. Weird, but better. Is there anyone who has quit over a month that actually feels great and doesnt think of a cigarette every frickin day???? Sorry not usually so crabby or b#$chy. Just finding everything, including my support annoying-and that scares me. Lisa
essie662

Quit Date:
April 14, 2004

PostPosted: September 12, 2005 2:27 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, look at this, Lisa, it only took about 20 minutes to find someone who is VERY happy with their quit and rarly even thinks about cigarettes anymore. As I recall I had some of the same feelings you are having during the first probably 6 weeks of my quit, then all the sudden I just knew I could make it. Keep telling yourself a crave will only last a few minutes, stay busy. It worked for me! I didn't worry about tomorrow, just get through today. It's worked almost 17 months. I can not tell you how thrilled I was to get to one year!!! Now I am thinking one and a half year, two years etc. Keep hanging in there, Lisa, I promise it will be better!

(((((((HUG)))))))

Essie
4/14/04
Leona

Quit Date:
June 1, 2017

PostPosted: September 12, 2005 3:21 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi lisa,

Yes it does get better. I am at 17 months and knew almost from the first this was final but I also had cravings for quite a while. We are told that we must experience everything we once did as smokers now as non smokers and face each craving as if it is the first time to get through it. As a new non smoker you will face quite a few cravings as you do the first of the non smoking life.

What I mean by this your first car ride, your first day at a job with out smoking, your first sunrise,sunset, your first time shopping with out smoking, your first time going to a childs recietal in a school all without smoking your first christmas, holiday, spring summer, winter fall. It does get much easier and I am VERY VERY HAPPY BEING AN NON SMOKER.

You will get there one day at a time. Kevin has a saying here chose life but do it one day at a time. In his tales he talks about how he gets up each morning as says to himself that I chose not to smoke today tommorrow will take care of itself and he choses life and at night he thanks the powers that be that he made it another day. You to can do this. I know it isn't exactly as he worded it but you get the jist of it.

I don't know how long you smoked or how much but let me tell you as a former 2 pack a day for 30 odd years smoker that did it you can do this. Get your list of reason's out, count to ten, what ever it takes, the crave will pass.

And grouchyness and anger are all part of it.

(((((((((((((((LISA)))))))))))))))))))

Quiting smoking is like a fine wine ......
It just gets better with age.
mtwilsonranch

Quit Date:
January 20, 2006

PostPosted: September 12, 2005 4:27 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lisa,

Yes it does get better. I have been quit for 2 months and 2 weeks......What I am dealing with is moments of memories.....I recogninze that it is a thought, one that I can control...I see it as a sign of healing and then I go about my business....I know from my past attempts that I would fixate on these thoughts and that is what got me into trouble......

Understand we are learning a new way to live, and we really are becoming BRAND NEW, experiecing life without the poison Very Happy

So look at the new you, free and deep breathing this freah air... Wink Very Happy

You are doing so good with your quit Lisa, keep it going and keep on quitting one day at a time....You are so worth the life free from cigarettes..

Pam

Right Now, this minute, this hour, this day, I choose not to feed my addiction....
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 12, 2005 5:15 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about somebody who smoked for over 35 years and now goes months at a time without so much as thinking about a cigarette? how about someone who can't even remember the last time he had a crave? quitting's not easy, especially at the beginning, but it is simple: keep choosing life, whenever the opportunity presents itself, and you'll be here before you know it.

oh, yeah; the anger: one of the main reasons people smoke is to stuff their feelings behind the smokescreen. chances are better than fair that you did this yourself, and, now that you don't have the smokescreen to hide behind any more, you have to learn to deal with your emotions without smoking. don't worry; you'll get used to it. billions of non-smokers do it every day. Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: September 12, 2005 5:26 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Essie and Leona, I'm now at 17 months of perfectly wonderful freedom. I wish I could remember when the craves left me but they've been gone for a long, long time. Like Kevin, I don't even think of smoking anymore. Had I known life without cigs would be this care-free, I would have worked harder years ago to kick the addiction.

Hang in there. It does get better but you must keep working at it and, by all means, be patient. Very Happy

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
jahunta

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 12, 2005 5:50 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

breathe, chill, relax...you've been at it for 3 days. This is hell week. Know why they call it hell week? Because of what you're going through right this very minute. It's hell. But you gotta get through it...You can do it....
Nita

Quitting is Living!!!
QD: 2/15/04
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 12, 2005 5:51 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa,

Very common experience and feeling! Just want to be done with the stupid things instead of obsessing about it!!! Look at that word...obsessing. That's what we do sometimes and that is what gets us in trouble...we just keep thinking of the stupid stick. Well, focus on something else. And no not everyone has intense craves forever. But it is an addiction and there will be moments when the urge or thought presents itself. The moment of opportunity to tell Scowling Demon to hit the highway and then just go about your business as usual. I'm at 7 weeks! I'm doing fairly well, except one intense time last week when the world caved in on me. But hey, I have to learn and readjust my thinking to deal with "world crashes" without the smoke. Attitude and resolve has alot to do with it. We can whine and cry our fix is gone, or enjoy the fact that...hey we are finally free from that bondage! It does get better!!!! Just know that!!!!

I know you are feeling frustrated about others posting, but we need to post when we're feeling not too good. More than one quit has been saved by a help post. It helps to get the stuff off our chest! Wink

But on the other hand...it can feel defeating early in a quit to read such posts. However, concentrate on you and feeling good. Because the good days far, far outweigh the bad ones!! That is for sure!!! Try posting your own feeling good posts to encourage others. Support goes both ways...support in the bad times and support in the good times.

And as Kevin said...we do need to deal with the emotions we buried inside. It's all part of the process of quitting...renewing, adjusting, and living our brand new life in freedom. Take some deep breathes and regroup. You are going to be just fine.

May I offer on more piece of advice....if the addiction can frustrate you enough to stop visiting the support groups...the addiction has a better chance of getting you to light up. Know this from personal experience! Wink What you're feeling may just be a trick from Scowling Demon himself. Just a thought.

One day at a time!!! Keep choosing freedom!

Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: September 12, 2005 6:06 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa, I'm just gonna keep my mouth shut and give you a great big hug

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Lisa))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

It does get better, you have bad moments once in a while , but they get fewer and farther between. Please don't give up on us. We need you just as much as you need us!

God Bless!

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: September 12, 2005 6:43 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa, okay, take a deep breath. It's going to be okay - really! Feel better right away???? In most regards I did. I stopped waking myself up coughing at night almost immediately. My sense of smell returned next. I never knew that petunias had a such a lovely, light, sweet smell until I Quit. My sense of taste returned. I had never experienced the heady taste of rosemary in the bread that I had eaten a dozen times previous. The emotional roller coaster was the worst for me. That and an inability to gauge time. I ended up having to write myself a check list of what I needed to do to get ready for work in the morning. But the anger. Oh yes. Sudden, intense, deep anger at the oddest moments for the oddest reasons. I learned to apologize, profusely! But it all evens out and you learn to cope with anger without burying it under a cloud of smoke. Craves? Well yes, after almost 15 months I do, on rare occasions have a crave. But it is nothing like the intense, grab you by the throat, knock you to your knees craves that I experienced in the beginning of my Quit. They are milder, and are almost like a passing thought.

Hang in there sweetie. We have all been where you are and it does get better! I promise! Cool

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: September 12, 2005 10:04 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa,
Ususally, I would be jumping in telling you how grrrrrrreat I feel and how easy it is to just accept that you no longer smoke and move on....but, I have hit some potholes in this damn road so I am not so spunky. I will tell you that it gets better everyday and even though I have sunk in a few of the holes the past few days, smoking is not an option....I have I must admit breathed so deeply that I thought I would hyperventilate! Laughing Just resolve that no matter what, you will not smoke...that is the only way it can be if you remain quit.
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
NotKool2smoke

Quit Date:
September 9, 2005

PostPosted: September 12, 2005 11:53 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to thank you all for responding, but I want to clarify that it was NOT this site that got me angry. That's why I have stuck around here. It was another internet quit smoking site, which is how I found you guys-searching for better one that was in the solution, not the problem. I didn't want to feed into the pity-party, because I think not smoking is a choice, so if you are miserable with that choice and feel like you have to, you are going to be miserable quitting.
My mood is stablizing. Oh yeah the craves are not good but they do pass, like you all have said. I do need to focus on the moment, because if I start to think that I'll still be thinking of smokes in the future like I am now (or the people on other boards) then I'll freak out and smoke.
I don' t think the anger is a result of buried issues, however. I have a very strong spiritual life and lots of support therapies for other things. I just am finding myself more irritated and annoyed at things like traffic, etc. I think that's part of why I decided to quit-I no longer need the smokes to be assertive, to communicate feelings, etc. I smoked for 25 years, 2+ packs a day-and that was not always the case. I couldn't communicate without them for years. Anyway, thanks again for your comments and being gracious when thinking I was describing this board. It is the positive energy and maturity in your quitting that keeps me coming back-I am glad I found you!!! Very Happy
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: September 13, 2005 9:27 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quitting is as hard or as easy as you make it. This is one time you are in total control of how you handle your QUIT. You can choose to think like a smoker deprived or you can choose be a non smoker as I've done and many other's on this site and get on with your life. You are not really angry at the obsessed for a cig crowd are you??? I believe you are just frightened you might be one of them. I used to be like that until I realized it's my QUIT and I'm handling it my way. I don't think as an ex smoker but rather as a non smoker and it is GREAT. Join the crowd that has QUIT and if you work at it the transition is as easy as you want to make it. Wink

P.S. By the way just noted you are on day 4 maybe a couple baby steps are in order instead of trying to leap tall buildings. Very Happy

I'm a NON-SMOKER thanks to everyone here
Simone

Quit Date:
April 28, 2005

PostPosted: September 14, 2005 2:37 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

(((HUGS))) & take care of yourself.
I smoked for over 28years & will never take another puff even though I crave nearly everyday.....actually it gets tiring after a while I have found!!

Take small steps & please be extra ,extra kind to yourself !!

Simone xx
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 16, 2005 11:42 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Lisa, I keep forgetting my Lunaversaries, because I have forgotten that I was ever a smoker. Occasionally I remember, but it seems like it was someone else. Now....even though this is a great way to live...and believe me it is!...you must not let your guard down completely as the months roll by, and then the years roll by....on occasion there might be a sudden temptation (not a big thing like the beginning of the Quit) but a little thing where you think you can handle just one. Don't ever do it!! In that sense, you must be careful, but you certainly won't need to think about cigs all the time. Heaven forbid! THat's the last thing I want to think about.

Keep on with your quit. YOu are doing great! Hell week will soon be over and then you should really, really get a big, big reward! Very Happy I got one every week. They reinforce the quit! YOu go, girl! Smile

Margaret
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: