quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What kind of surgeon?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 21, 2005 11:19 PM    Post subject: What kind of surgeon? Reply with quote

I just added a post to my thread about the "Thyroid Problem" but then got afraid maybe folks might not see it, so am posting some of it here again. (For any who don't know, I have a biopsy of the Thyroid that says suspicious for cancer.)

Does anyone know what kind of surgeon usually would perform this surgery? I had thought there were surgeons especially for this, and I have even found a few, but they are not ENT surgeons. My regular doctor thinks it should be an ENT surgeon. If you know anyone who knows, I would be appreciate of any information.

I have my first surgery consult tomorrow (but he is not an ENT surgeon--he is the junior associate of a doctor I found on the internet who is truly an expert in the thyroid field, and I even know a friend of a friend who had this famous surgeon, but he is too busy for me to see him--could not get an appointment--hence the appointment with his associate. I looked the associate up on the Internet, and he seems to be very young, only in practice a couple of years--not that he wouldn't be good, but he probably hasn't had time to develop a rep yet--and besides, I want experience--I think...maybe I don't know what I want! Rolling Eyes )

Anyway, I got confused about the whole thing and thought I would post here.

Next week I will be getting a second opinion from another Endocrinologist, but I am getting very impatient. I almost don't want to wait for opinions. I think I just want the surgery, and for it to be over. This waiting is nerve-wracking.

Also, I have been sick for several days with a very sore throat and swollen glands--not sure if it related to the thyroid--but I am very hoarse, and trouble swallowing. My doc gave me anti-biotics to try first, and he doesn't think, but said he can't be sure, whether it is related to the thyroid.

All in all, I don't feel so hot. Sad

Thanks for your help. Much appreciate it.

P.S. I read somewhere on the Internet that the surgeon should have performed this surgery at least 100 times to be considered competent--but would a doctor feel insulted if you ask him that? (Experience is desired, according to some sources, because of the danger of irrevocably harming the vocal cords or nerves in the throat.)

Margaret
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: September 21, 2005 11:30 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret - I really don't know much about thyroid disease - Ears Nose Throat (ENT) may be the right kind surgeon - or maybe thorasic (?) surgeon. Try to not rush your decision - make sure you get enough information to make an informed decision!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
swaneem

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 22, 2005 1:34 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Mary D about getting a lot of information. Just putting yourself under (anesthesia) is dangerous in itself. Don't ever be afraid to ask any medical professional questions.......they are working for you....that's what you're paying them for.

Don't make any decision out of fear.......but one that feels comfortable to you.

Donna

p.s. I thought ENT's did this kind of surgery.....but I would have to research as well.

Just when the caterpillar thought his world was
coming to an end..........God made him a
BUTTERFLY.
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 22, 2005 7:54 AM    Post subject: Re: What kind of surgeon? Reply with quote

marw wrote:
P.S. I read somewhere on the Internet that the surgeon should have performed this surgery at least 100 times to be considered competent---but would a doctor feel insulted if you ask him that? (Experience is desired, according to some sources, because of the danger of irrevocably harming the vocal cords or nerves in the throat.)...

I would not hesitate for one second to ask this question. In fact, this shows an informed consumer/patient. My family and I have had the good fortune to see some of the best docs in our area ~ at times a luck of the draw. Maybe as a result of this I have always been agressive about my health care. Of course, this is ironic since I smoked for over 25 years. Rolling Eyes Embarassed

I'm thinking of you and proud you are taking this bull by the horns. Cool

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: September 22, 2005 9:07 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry you're having such troubles finding a doctor. I agree with the previous writers, though. Education is very important. Read everything available; WebMD.com, etc. I believe the Mayo Clinic has a website too. Perhaps you would find something there of help.

Margaret, please keep us informed. You know my prayers are with you. Just don't make any rush decisions.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Deb

Quit Date:
February 5, 2010

PostPosted: September 22, 2005 11:39 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maragaret,

Im so sorry that you are going thru this whole mess. I really cannot give any advice about Doc's but, I do agree with the rest educate yourself and remember having a positive attitude does wonders.

Your in my prayers

Deb
Deb

Quit Date:
February 5, 2010

PostPosted: September 22, 2005 11:40 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret,

Im so sorry that you are going thru this whole mess. I really cannot give any advice about Doc's but, I do agree with the rest educate yourself and remember having a positive attitude does wonders.

Your in my prayers

Deb
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 22, 2005 11:02 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all your kind and supportive and informative responses!

I saw the surgeon today, and he seemed O.K. He answered a lot of questions I had, and is having my slides analyzed by Pathology at Northwestern Hospital here. He can't tell if it is cancer yet, but by a great good stroke of fortune, the Endocrinologist that I see next week for the second opinion is someone this surgeon works with. I didn't know that when I made these appointments. By that time I should have a second view re the slides from their Pathologist. Apparently, there is not a lot of detail in the biopsy report as it stands now, and they want more. The surgeon was rather encouraging. But.....I will still seek a third opinion if I feel I need it.

So I will see what next week brings. I can't tell you how much your support means here!

Regarding the other throat thing I have--a virus or whatever--it seems better today, so maybe the new Anti-biotics are working. I'm still hoarse, but my glands are not swollen.

Whenever I know more, I will post. And I appreciate your help ever so much!

Margaret
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: