quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Grateful Today

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justtheprincess

Quit Date:
December 1, 2013

PostPosted: November 1, 2005 1:10 PM    Post subject: Grateful Today Reply with quote

Good Morning Everyone (at least here on the pacific coast). Today is my belly button birthday and I am grateful to have another year of recovery under my belt along with continued good health (knock on wood). 3 years ago next week, I met a lot of folks on lungusa. My doctor told me I was going to die of emphysema. He prescribed my steroids, gave me the information on where to get an oxygen tank and sent me on my way. His words kept ringing in my brain, "you have the lungs of a 70 year old who smoked for 50 years". "You don't have much time left even if you do quit smoking"...

This group of people helped me not only through the quit, but just through the turbulence of facing death and all of the emotions that come with it. I can assure you that many would attest that my posts were very raw and this site became my diary. My life became consumed for nearly 2 years just posting to newcomers and praying for them and hoping they would not have to go through what I did. I followed the steps the lung association gave me to follow. I posted 50 posts a day. I used the site as my cigarette for a very long time. It worked and I love you all for always having been there for me. I am nearly at the 3 year mark now because of what you all have done for me.

And then there is today... I was misdiagnosed and the consensus is that my body had developed terrible allergic reactions to smoking. Wow, what a continued incentive that is to quit. I am not on any medication. My kids haven't picked up the habit themselves (14 and 18) YET (you're eligible too). I don't smell like cigarettes. I live in a new home and there is NO yellow around me. My fingernails look great. My hair smells awesome still (except I ate a little too much garlic last night.. hehe). I go to the gym 4 times a week and I am just happy. I am happy with myself and I can look in the mirror and not feel shame anymore. It is a beautiful gift I chose to allow myself to have. You can make that choice too! Today is about my 1050 day without a cigarette (Secret Agent, if you are reading this, that number made me think of you and is what brought me here this morning).

I love you all and have a happy November :) One step at a time, One problem at a time and if necessary, one second at a time. Take a deep breath, let the good in, let the bad out.... Just to breath is a miracle.

Love,
Sandi
Day 1050

YOU are the only YOU YOU have. Take care of YOU.
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 1, 2005 7:13 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice to hear from you, sandi! there's a whole lot to be said for an attitude of gratitude; that's why the tag line on my home page says "grateful to be in my 1444th day of freedom today!" Very Happy

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
iwantosing

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 1, 2005 10:11 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, Sandy what a message. Allergic to cigs huh? I guess you did not have any permanent damage. Well your post was an excellent one, thank you for sharing. peg

My name is Peg, I decided I wanted to sing to the Lord, run with my son, laugh and learn to whistle, the cigs had to go!! Quit Date 3/28/05
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: November 2, 2005 6:54 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Post!!!!!!!!!

You enjoy a great life now!

God Bless!

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
Deb

Quit Date:
February 5, 2010

PostPosted: November 3, 2005 8:46 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing this with us, it is truly inspiring.

I'm glad your enjoying your smoke free life and letting us newbies know that after 3 years of freedom, the wonderful attitude remains.

Deb
mtwilsonranch

Quit Date:
January 20, 2006

PostPosted: November 3, 2005 10:20 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Sandi,

Great Post......This accomplishment has got to feel so good.....You fought the good fight and have overcome..this is truly an inspiration to those who are on the early part of this journey.....

God bless you for reaching back to show us the way..........

Pam

Right Now, this minute, this hour, this day, I choose not to feed my addiction....
Fightn4life

Quit Date:
October 23, 2003

PostPosted: November 4, 2005 6:36 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandi,

How wonderful to hear from you. What an awesome entry.

Thanks for being a mentor for me for so long, I'll never forget all the help you have given over the years.

How great to be saying..."years."

Sandyz
2 years free from the chains of addiction

"Keep your heart open to dreams. For as long as there's a dream, there is hope, and as long as there is hope, there is joy in living."

~Anonymous
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 5, 2005 2:08 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandi,

What a very inspiring message! I, too, am allergic to them, but not as much as my previous dog was! Sasha would get so sick she would almost die if she got around the smoke, chewed bloody places in her skin when she was around the smoke....you would have thought I would have quit then, I did revise the addiction and only smoked outside and washed my hands before petting her, etc. But I finally did quit a year and half ago.

Besides being allergic I was also diagnosed with COPD but in my case it is true. I don't take any medications or oxygen, and I exercise. I can only hope for the best at this point. THe best will definitely be a lot better since I do not smoke now. I would have died soon if I had continued.

THank you so much for making this post!! It touched my heart.

Margaret
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: November 15, 2005 9:47 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi Sandi,

I would also like to thank you for all the help you have given me also. Three years is awesome to be coming up. You were the 1st person who had inspired me a great deal in the beginning of me and lungusa.

Here's to you gal, and early:

.................CONGRATS

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: