quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tasting Habit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: December 27, 2005 2:15 AM    Post subject: Tasting Habit Reply with quote

I do not know why I have this unsatisfied urge to always put something in my mouth like food. The fake cigarette helps to some degree but it has no taste and it's the taste I guess I am missing. Although, cigarettes do not taste good and food does so I do not think of smoking, but instead, always think of eating. Is it a habit of always having something to taste for all those years I've smoked that induces the crave for all this food consumption? How do I break the tasting urge or is it a habit?

Blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 27, 2005 12:52 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, it is the learned behavior part of smoking. This is where we learned that by placing something in our mouths, we were chemically rewarded.

Some ideas for when this happens....

~ either write down or say aloud "am I really hungary or am I just wanting something to make me feel better?"

~ for those times you really think you are hungary, drink a glass of water or flavored tea, chew sugarless gum or mints. You will be putting something in your mouth, but it will be no to low cal!

~ force yourself to wait and ride out this "food crave" by realizing how many years you learned the behavior. You can break this cycle!

I know its tough! Sending you good thoughts! Cool

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
Fightn4life

Quit Date:
October 23, 2003

PostPosted: December 27, 2005 5:53 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water, I always have a bottle of water. When I smoked I recall drinking very little water if any on some days. Now I am always with water.

Replacing water with smoking is a good thing, I think. Humm... Anyway it works for me.

Sandyz

"Keep your heart open to dreams. For as long as there's a dream, there is hope, and as long as there is hope, there is joy in living."

~Anonymous
Tammy

Quit Date:
February 16, 2004

PostPosted: December 28, 2005 12:34 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barb, I think it could be the hand to mouth thing. I found other ways to keep my hands busy. Other than bringing the hand to the mouth I worked word puzzles, scraped book, wrote in my journal and stayed busy typing on the boards. Break the habit of the hand going to the mouth. Get rid of the fake cigarette too.

Tammy
Free and loving it!
Simone

Quit Date:
April 28, 2005

PostPosted: December 28, 2005 8:05 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chew sugar free gum & drink 2 litres of water a day as well as many cups of tea skim milk no sugar.

I know the feeling I am always hungry too but filling up on water helps a lot.

I never for one second missed the hand to mouth thing though, thank goodness for small mercies.

Simone xx
Wanda

Quit Date:
March 15, 2004

PostPosted: December 29, 2005 9:26 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the weight watchers message board.

if hunger isn't the problem, food is not the answer.

i'm learning too barb. anyway if you must eat try reaching for lower calorie food. 94% fat free popcorn, or fat free sugar free pudding. also there is a pretty good tasting fat free sugar free hot cocoa by swiss miss. oh and you can have all the celery you can eat. Razz

Wanda
Quit Date 03/15/04
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: December 30, 2005 2:31 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thank you all,

I have started to excercise in the chair and on my bed. (I can only stand for about 1 or 2 minutes due to back problems unless walking) But as I type this I am pigging out on chocolate. I did good the previous 2 dayst though.

Blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: