quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Thyroid cancer? 3rd opinion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 30, 2005 10:13 PM    Post subject: Thyroid cancer? 3rd opinion Reply with quote

Sooo.....this was the big Thyroid day for me. First, I had to wait almost 3 hours to see this doc....good thing I took a novel to read. I did not get unduly upset over this, because I had to wait 3 and a half months for the appointment. (Now the waiting list is 5 months long, according to his nurse.) The aggravating thing is that I could have seen him much soon, if only I had known to have my doctor call. He saves slots for emergencies and when other doctors ask for their patients. It turns out that OF COURSE he would have seen me sooner, because....now get this! Rolling Eyes ....he trained my own Endocrinologist, the first one I saw. He agreed with her diagnosis (she was the one who wanted to repeat the tests in 3 months, which is now in November), and said he was going to call her (his student) and tell her he agreed with her. I can't tell if this is partly because she was his student. I hope not....I wanted an unbiased opinion. Despite all this, I was rather impressed with him. He does his own tests!! I couldn't get over that!....Most docs have trouble even reading test results (results, not reports,which of course they can read), much less doing them himself. But he did his own Ultra-Sound, and did his own needle Biopsy (did not use a technician at all), but he said he wants the Pathologist to read the slides he made. I had already sent my old slides down there to them--just as I did for the second opinion hosiptal--but this one says there was not enough cells for a clear determination. THey don't think it is anything, but they cannot be sure without more cells. Hence the new tests today. Also, they differed in opinion from both my first Endocrinologist and Northwestern (that was the second opinion) on one point! They are saying that here is no way to tell what kind of cancer it might be, even if it is, with this few cells. They others both said it was Follicular cells they were looking at. So, bottom line, I still don't know much, but I feel better about it. This doc will call me next week, either with the results or if they need more cells, then I will go back and let him take some more. He was certainly thorough! I will say that for him.

Thank you so much, all of you, for supporting me through all this fear and waiting. I will post again next week, when he tells me more.

I just hope it all gets settled one way or another. I really hated this "maybe it is, maybe it isn't"...thing.

THANKS THANKS!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

P.S. OMG! Just had a terrible thought....what if I had still been a smoker! Shocked I could never have gotten through this! You know, I never thought of it once, not even when I was writing this post! Smile I had to come back and do an edit just to put this PS on. Very Happy

Margaret
iwantosing

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 30, 2005 11:07 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear happiness in your voice Margaret, thats nice. Good news keep on coming!!! Very Happy Very Happy peg

My name is Peg, I decided I wanted to sing to the Lord, run with my son, laugh and learn to whistle, the cigs had to go!! Quit Date 3/28/05
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 30, 2005 11:37 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Peg! I am feeling ever so much more hopeful now! Very Happy

Margaret
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: December 1, 2005 12:08 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret - that's great news! A little more waiting for the test results...but it sounds like your confidence in the doctor is quite high - and it sounds like he deserves it! Keep us posted!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
mtwilsonranch

Quit Date:
January 20, 2006

PostPosted: December 1, 2005 12:19 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret,

I am so glad that you are feeling more confident.....Yes, it is hard not knowing one way or the other, but seeing this doctor has given you a better feeling, that is so good..............

I like what Peg said "good news keep on coming" Very Happy

Pam

Right Now, this minute, this hour, this day, I choose not to feed my addiction....
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 1, 2005 11:01 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a difficult time. Do whatever you have to stay strong and know many folks are sending you good thoughts.

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 1, 2005 11:25 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to hear you're making progress with this, margaret. Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: December 1, 2005 2:41 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Margaret,

From your post, it sounds like you're on the right path to discovery and health. This latest doctor seems to know what he's doing. That's absolutely what you want.

I know what you mean about not even thinking of smoking. When our son's surgery took 5 1/2 hours rather than the 3 1/2 hours expected, there wasn't the most tiny thought of cigarettes in my mind. How great it that??????? Freedom is fantastic.

Please keep us all informed, Margaret. You know we care!

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
jahunta

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 1, 2005 8:00 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to see you're getting somewhere with it all. I hope you get some conclusion soon!!

Juanita

Quitting is Living!!!
QD: 2/15/04
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 1, 2005 8:59 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

THanks everyone! It means a lot to get your replies and know folks are rooting for me! Very Happy I'll let you know how it goes. I should hear from him next week!

Yes, Jo, as you know, it was really a blessing not to be a smoker!! Glad things went well with your son, too!

Margaret
Simone

Quit Date:
April 28, 2005

PostPosted: December 28, 2005 8:08 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you get to the bottom of this very soon & all the best of luck Smile

Simone
xx
Fightn4life

Quit Date:
October 23, 2003

PostPosted: December 28, 2005 10:58 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep us updated please. Prayers are with you.

Sandyz

"Keep your heart open to dreams. For as long as there's a dream, there is hope, and as long as there is hope, there is joy in living."

~Anonymous
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 30, 2005 2:43 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I posted this somewhere else separately, but I may not have, because so much has been going on. So here is the good news! The doc called a week ago (the 3rd opinion one) and said it is not thyroid cancer. He said he would send me his report, and I could send it on to what ever docs I wished.

THe thing is when I got his report, he made quite a few errors! Shocked THey are not major, but I am surprized he got my entire medical history wrong!
Also, I noticed that he included the lab report from the Pathologist at his own hospitral who seemed to disagree with him. He did not comment on that. His own lab just said that they recommend follow-up and are not sure (that old story again!). I could call him, but I am tired of the whole business, and just now I have to conentrate on getting something done about this possible botched hernia surgery, so I don't think I will pursue this thyroid thing any more. I may go back to my first doctor (after I liked her the best as it turns out) and just do whatever she says. But right now I'm in the middle of very painful nerve block shots in my belly (for the hernia scar tissue and nerve damage) plus I'm STILL trying to get a proper CT scan done for the inside of my pelvis. THe last one was not done correctly, so it has to be done over.

I just got tired of posting about all this stuff, but maybe I will make more effort to keep everyone updated. I know you care, and it is only fair that I do so. I was just afraid that I sounded like I was always complaining.

I do want you to know how much your support means to me all the time!! Some of things things I've been going through have been such an ordeal to me that I don't think I could have done it without your support!!

YOu are all so very wonderful! Very Happy Thank you from the bottom of my heart!! I men that!

Love,

Margaret
Simone

Quit Date:
April 28, 2005

PostPosted: December 30, 2005 9:10 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret !!!!!YAY!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy for you dearest one Smile

Good luck with the pelvis scan (I hate whenthey have to be re-done too!)

Margaret you are a wonderful person & have shown me nothing but kindness & as I can gather you are much loved by all & always have all our support Smile

Love,
Simone xox (((HUGS)))
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 30, 2005 10:44 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

So very glad you are ok.

Cool

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: