quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canker Sores

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deb

Quit Date:
February 5, 2010

PostPosted: January 28, 2006 9:38 AM    Post subject: Canker Sores Reply with quote

Does anyone know, if getting canker sores are related to quitting smoking in any way?

I haven't had these painful little suckers in years and all of a sudden, I've got 3 big ones, wich are so painful. Ugh!!! Crying or Very sad

Deb
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: January 28, 2006 10:02 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deb - I don't remember having canker sores, but if you consider all of the changes your body is going through, a pH imbalance isn't out of the ordinary.
Have you tried dabbing them with a baking soda paste and then a good rinse with warm water to soothe them? Try to stay away from high acid foods (OJ, tomatoes, citrus fruit) for a little while.

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 28, 2006 12:14 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm. Don't know, Deb. I don't remember getting them, either. However, are you maybe eating something, or sucking on something, that might be causing them?

I know that when I first quit, i used to suck constantly on Altoids Citrus Sours. this helped a lot with my craves....but really did a job on the roof of my mouth.

I would say that this might just be not related to quitting, but have it checked if they don't go away fairly soon on their own.

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 28, 2006 5:58 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been getting them, too, and I've been quit 21 months+ so I don't think it is the quit. More lidely it is the Stress in relation to the quit, and the Stress in my Life in relation to other things not related to smoking.

They are a bummer, but they get better. THe best thing to use on them is Blistex cream. Comes in a little tube at Walgreen's (and other such places.)

YOu are doing great with your quit quit!! But your are out getting something for the canker sores, try some junk shopping for yourself! It's fun. I buy a lot of stuff like that at Walgreen's when I'm feeling depressed.

Margaret
Fightn4life

Quit Date:
October 23, 2003

PostPosted: January 29, 2006 4:38 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get them allot, they say they are at times caused from stress.

Maybe the stress of quitting have triggered them. Give it time and try some relaxation, deep breathing. I hope this helps.

Sandyz
free for 830 days

"Keep your heart open to dreams. For as long as there's a dream, there is hope, and as long as there is hope, there is joy in living."

~Anonymous
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 29, 2006 3:09 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://quit-smoking-support.woofmang.com/viewtopic.php?t=4010&highlight=canker

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Deb

Quit Date:
February 5, 2010

PostPosted: January 30, 2006 8:36 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank's for the article Kevin. I did read that in the past but, just forgot Embarassed Canker sores are a bummer though but, if their a sign of healing, I will have to deal with them. (no pain no gain?)

I now have a total of 5 in my mouth and the pain is so intense. Every hour I rinse with warm water and salt, this seems to relieve some of the pain. Crying or Very sad

Thanks again. Very Happy
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 30, 2006 11:07 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Deb, by coindidence, I read an article this morning on how to help with canker sores.

They recommend using a wet, tepic tea bag (regular black tea, not herbals), and leaving it on the sore for 3-4 minutes. I guess the tannins in the tea help with the pain, but also to help dry it up. It's worth trying! Let us know if it helps.

Deb

Quit Date:
February 5, 2010

PostPosted: January 30, 2006 11:13 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pam I'm gonna give the tea bag a try Very Happy

Deb
Deb

Quit Date:
February 5, 2010

PostPosted: January 31, 2006 8:38 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well folks, I tried the tea bags like Pam suggested. They did relieve some of the pain temporarily. So, thanks Pam!

OMG, this healing process is killing me. Rolling Eyes I know, that we need to be patient but, I can't wait to feel normal again. NORMAL!! What is Normal?? I dont' remember. I've smoked for 31 years and from age 1-15 I don't remember how I felt. Confused Physically I feel like crap, tense,canker sores, acne, yes....I have the gas too folks Embarassed but, mentally speaking..........I'm so glad to be rid of Laughing Demon

I'm healing and that's what counts!! Wink

Deb
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 31, 2006 9:40 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like me, you never had life as an adult and a nonsmoker. You may need to create your own, new "normal". Won't it be fun exploring the new physical and emotional "you"?

For me, everything is better as a non smoker. I am a much calmer, less frenetic person...mostly because I'm not plotting my life to have to revolve around when I can get the next nicotine fix.

I have more time, so life isn't so rushed as it used to be...when I had to fit all those smoke breaks into my life. I used to complain that I didn't have enough hours in the day, but I used to waste a full 1/3 of every hour inhaling toxic chemicals?

I have more confidence. I don't stink of cigarettes, I don't feel like a loser.

I feel better...much better. I look better...much, much better.

Getting used to the new "me" has been very, very interesting. Embrace the change.

And glad the tea bags helped. I always love to find a "new" use for something!

Snowlover

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: February 1, 2006 11:18 AM    Post subject: First Aid For the Mouth Reply with quote

Get "Gly-Oxide" or "Cankaid" at the drug store. They contain peroxide which will close up the sore fast. Antacid liquid is also very soothing.
K
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: