quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Did I really believe that?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > stories, essays, rambles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lbuz

Quit Date:
May 29, 2007

PostPosted: May 20, 2004 6:57 PM    Post subject: Did I really believe that? Reply with quote

I just got off the phone with my brother-in-law (he was married to my sister sho died of lung cancer age 33) He said are you still smoking? and proudly I told him that I quit for almost three months now. He said something like well for now right? And I proceeded to tell him that I was doing this for me thins time not anyone else because I was getting sick too often and it was really affecting my sinuses in which he said "a doctor actually told you you had bad sinuses because you were smoking?" He went on to tell me that he had had a recent lung xray and it showed some scaring, but it was from having "pneumonia" and that he was healthy and nothing wrong with him, smoking didn't have any bad affect on him. My thought was to say " Did the Dr actually tell YOU that?" but I kept my mouth shut. Talk about denial. I'm not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but even when I was smoking I knew it wasn't good for me. Just thought I share that story it seemed appropriate.

Two months, three weeks, two days, 7 hours, 1 minute and 44 seconds. 1249 cigarettes not smoked, saving $312.19. Life saved: 4 days, 8 hours, 5 minutes.

Lisa
THREEGRAND

Quit Date:
March 28, 2004

PostPosted: May 20, 2004 7:11 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its so sad when people are in denial so deeply. No one can force anyone into quitting, we all know that.....Maybe someday your brother in law will see the light.........We all hope so for his sake....Maybe when he see's that you really are keeping your quit. he may be inspired by that....I know when people here I have quit they can't believe it....smoked 40 yrs...... and same of them say, if Gail can do it, so can I...... Gail
sandalful

Quit Date:
March 20, 2004

PostPosted: May 20, 2004 7:20 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

People tell themselves all kinds of things to justify their addiction. I have 3 sisters who continue to smoke even though they watched our mom die of lung cancer. They each have a variety of excuses why they can’t quit right now. But I understand, because I told myself a lot of things too and came up with a lot of excuses until I got educated and decided to quit.

Sandra
2 months smoke free!
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 20, 2004 8:34 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're all in denial. Everyone has to go one day.....one step at a time.

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
bjj

Quit Date:
April 7, 2004

PostPosted: May 22, 2004 3:05 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Denial and rationalization. Two of the addicts best buddies. Either deny it is a problem, or justify the use with rationalizations. one of my favorites that combined the two was, "Most of those studies are flawed. You can manipulae statistics to prove whatever you want. I know smoking is bad, but I don't think it is as bad as they say." How is that for a bunch of self deluding bullcrapp? The reality is, I really knew that the whole time I smoked.

Bonnie

"Always think of what you have to do as easy and it will become so".
Emile Coue
Tammy

Quit Date:
February 16, 2004

PostPosted: May 22, 2004 9:50 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is interesting. Whenever I had said to my husband 'we need to stop smoking' he would say 'no' laugh and say 'everyone has to die of something.' Well since having open heart surgery he has never touched another cigarette. His whole attitude has changed now he is sad when hearing that someone has cancer or lung disease. He wants everyone to quit smoking. Gee what happened to ' everyone has to die of something?'

Tammy
Free and loving it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > stories, essays, rambles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: