quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Feeling conflicted.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mollywood

Quit Date:
April 7, 2007

PostPosted: May 14, 2006 9:58 AM    Post subject: Feeling conflicted..... Reply with quote

I weighed myself today and I gained 5 lbs in the last four weeks! I already had to lose about 20....now, it's 25!!! I got really depressed and started feeling so horrible about myself. Then the Scowling Demon started his voodoo/mojo on me. I started thinking....well, if I lose 20lbs, I can stop smoking......This is really hard to get out of this feeling. I know it's just the addiction talking and I'm able to realize that smoking is not the answer. Any advice?

I'm on Day 29 today. I'm just feeling a little depressed with the weight thing.

Molly

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never, ever stops"

Emily Dickinson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 14, 2006 10:53 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to research that i've read about, you'd have to be 100 pounds overweight to equal the health risks of smoking a pack of cigarettes a day. you're well below that, and now that you're aware of it, there's no reason for you to allow it to get any worse.

here's a suggestion: whenever you feel like eating, ask yourself if you're really hungry, or if you just want to eat because you'd normally smoke in that situation. if you're really hungry, go ahead and have something to eat; if not, make a choice that you're not going to eat your cigarette (or smoke your food, if you prefer to think of it that way).

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: May 14, 2006 1:45 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molly - unfortunately nicotine is a metabolism boster and appetite supressant in addition to being an addictive carcinogen - and weight gain is often a side-affect of quitting. But that gain doesn't have to be permanent. Increased awareness of what you are chosing to eat and why you are "snacking" may be enough to minimize the gain - if not maybe adding some exercise (walking, etc) can help undo the gain. Either way - don't listen to old Laughing Demon - he'll use any chink in the armor to worm back into your life...

For me - quitting was the start of a lot of changes. I'm coming up on two years quit - and I've lost almost 100 pounds with Weight Watchers and Curves in the last 15 months. I still have a way to go to get to my goal - but I'll get there. I had a lot to lose ...but taking control of my life started with quitting and has expanded to alot of other areas of my life. Stay positive and recognize that gaining weight has something to do with what you are eating in addition to your quitting....

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 14, 2006 2:00 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molly, both Kevin and Mary D are so right, but here's some more "food" (no calories) for thought from our favorite author over at whyquit.com.

Quote:
Quitting causes weight gain and it's just as dangerous.
This intellectual denial pre-assumes a large weight gain and then makes an erroneous judgement regarding relative risks.  Quitting does not increase our weight, eating does.  Some assert that metabolic changes associated primarily with the heart not having to work as hard could account for a pound or two but as far as being "dangerous," you'd have to gain an additional one hundred pounds in order to equal the health risks associated with smoking one pack a day.  Keep in mind that your general health, physical abilities and lung capacity will all improve dramatically.  If patient, you will develop the physical endurance (a 30% increase in overall lung function within 90 days) and mental recovery tools (the same tools needed to take control of your addiction to nicotine) necessary to shed any extra pounds just one pound at a time.  Remember, smoking was your cue that a meal had ended.  Unless you develop a new healthy cue there may be fewer leftovers.  Also keep in mind how easy it would be for a drug addict to use intentional weight gain to a ploy to sabotage recovery.

I've gone through some times where I feel like I just want to eat everything in sight, which was not like the old "smoking" me at all. I want to eat everytime I used to smoke...and that certainly is not going to work at all. I think being aware of what you are eating, and that you may have to burn a few more calories a day just to stay at your pre-quit weight....is half the battle.

It's really easy to blame weight gain for returning to smoking, but it's not an option for you, so just don't even go there. You may not use putting on a few pounds as an excuse...and that's final.

Besides, 29 days is wonderful. Tomorrow will be your first luniversary of quitting.....and that's a real milestone.

This is kind of where the "rubber meets the road" so to speak, and where many quitters would quit quitting, declare victory over Laughing Demon because they had the stamina to quit for a whole month, and then go right back to their old ways of smoking. I know, I used that "see, I can do it'" kind of mentality many times in the past.
You will stay quit, weight gain or not, because you're smart and you understand that the little voices in your head are only Laughing Demon with some stinkin thinkin, and there is no reason or rationale on earth that can justify going back to smoking.

You're doing great!

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
Mollywood

Quit Date:
April 7, 2007

PostPosted: May 14, 2006 2:17 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Kevin, Mary and Pamela for your encouraging words of wisdom. I know intellectually why I'm eating a little extra....but emotionally, it's a vague area. I think women smoke more for emotional reasons than men do. But, I just have to realize that I can never again smoke. I've already got a lung problem and the smoking made it worse. I am determined to not smoke and I'm happy that tomorrow I'll have a whole month. Maybe I should treat myself to a whole pie!!!! Just kidding, of course. I joined Weight Watchers Online today and I'm going to start watching what I eat. See you all tomorrow at the Big Table!!!!

Molly

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never, ever stops"

Emily Dickinson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 14, 2006 4:18 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 15, 2006 1:24 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molly, do not let the demon tempt you with this excuse! Lungs are like teeth....you can't grow new ones!! Although our lungs will get better, they cannot be continually damaged by smoke or we will die. I am a good example, because I would be dead now if I had continued to smoke.

Have a great 1 month celebration, and do something special for yourself!! I bought new patio furniture at one month. Remember you have saved a lot of money now, and you deserve a special reward. THink about the rewards and not the smoking. It sounds like you might be fixating a little on the cigs. WE all gained weight, but lost it later. You will, too.

Have a great day! Cool Very Happy

Margaret
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: