quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Article I found on Yahoo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: May 20, 2006 7:52 AM    Post subject: Article I found on Yahoo Reply with quote

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20060518/sc_space/womengetdrunkhighandaddictedeasierthanmen

Kevin, is this in the right forum?

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: May 20, 2006 8:13 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of the article I found interesting is this as most people suffering from alcoholism are thinner due largely to feeling full with their liquid intake. Now we do definitely have less muscle mass or at least most women. Hubby and I usually drink at the same pace and I don't believe I'm worse off than him. Might I add we had one of those evenings last night and I've been up over an hour and cupcake is still in bed. Laughing

According to Foster, each single drink hits a woman like a double. A woman's body contains less water and more fatty tissue—which increases alcohol absorption—compared to a male body. And women have a lower activity level of an enzyme called alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH), which breaks down alcohol. Similar biological factors are at work in metabolizing illicit drugs.

I'm a NON-SMOKER thanks to everyone here
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 20, 2006 10:41 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

since you ask, i think it fits better here, londa. Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 20, 2006 1:05 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Londa and Melody. I was just reading an article this morning about the differences between men and women (no snickers, please), and as it relates to alcohol and medications. They did mention that one of the reasons women can't drink as much is that they have less water in their bodies, so the alcohol in their body is more concentrated, less diluted, then in men.

I did find that when I quit, I started to have a real problem with alocohol...the twofer effect. I would drink the same amount of wine in th evening, it would hit me much, much harder. My doctor confirmed this, and I cut way back...and eventually gave that up too (I've had about 5- 6 glasses of wine in the last year) I truly believe that i was starting to use alcohol as a substitute for smoking, and did not want to go there.

I think its terrible that the medical community, for the most part, continues to treat smoking just as a bad "habit' instead of addiction, and that most doctors fail to help or educate their patients when they quit. Most doctors need to be told that when you are quit, and taking some medications, you should be tested to see if levels need to be adjusted, because your body absorbs the meds differently after you quit. The medical community makes light of the vast changes to your body not only when you smoke, but when you quit smoking. That's why this type of forum is so valuable, as people know that symptoms that they may have when quit are normal, and that's there's nothing really wrong with them.

I was watching Honey we're Killing The Kids last night, which is a scary show. One of the changes the family had to make in their health an lifestyle was for the mother to quit smoking. the Doctor/nutritionist seemed to think, along with the family, that after the mother was quit for 3 DAYS, that the process was all over, and "there, now it wasn't that bad, was it?" I wanted to scream...in fact i did at the TV but they didn't notice. What's wrong with these people that they can put on national TV that the quit-smoking process is over in a few days, and then why do they think people don't stick it out?

Sorry, didn't mean to steal your rant Londa.

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: