quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Medical and life update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > stories, essays, rambles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carol

Quit Date:
December 9, 2009

PostPosted: May 25, 2004 1:23 PM    Post subject: Medical and life update Reply with quote

To all my wonderful wonderful friends.
The outpouring of concern love and support for me these last 2-3 difficult days has been nothing less than remarkable. And I am sorry I did not report in earlier, but I didn't know what to say. I was very negative and wallowing in self pity and did not want to spread the contents of my pity pot any more that I already had.
So here is what has happened
I have not smoked. Thanks be to God, and to all the people who sent messages encouragement.
I had decided I would not smoke until I saw my Doctor today, mainly to see if there was anything she could help me with. Somehow not making a decision made it easier to stay smoke free until my appointment.
Anyway I just got back from my Doctors appointment, and want to share with you the results.
First of all my chest x-ray showed that my lungs have healed themselves and there is not any evidence of my emphysema. NONE AT ALL. I questioned her on that as I had always heard that emphysema is not reversible. She said that is usually true, but once in a while, if it has not progressed too far, the lungs will repair. Now I have had 2-xrays in 2 months and both have shown the same thing. So her diagnosis is "lungs ..... CLEAR"
How about that "LUNGS....CLEAR" Can you believe it???
2nd problem.....we talked at length about my "don't give a d@#$ attitude.
And my being "tired of fighting this addiction". We talked about other times in my life when I have felt like this and I equated it to when I got a divorce after 28 years of marriage. She asked how did I get through it and I just said well I didn't have a choice.....I just kept going through the motions until I felt ok again. TA DA Idea She smiled and said "and..... we are going to up your anti-depressant meds. She doubled the dosage. " And I had to agree that before I decided to smoke I would call her and try something else (medicine wise). She said I definitely was depressed and needed to have something stronger to help.
So my friends I have clear lungs I am smoke free still and "I will just keep going through the motions until I feel ok again"
Thank you all again for your wonderful support and loyalty to a friend in need. May God bless you all richly for you so deserve it You are all great.

WALK TALL WALK PROUD
CAROL
alison

Quit Date:
June 3, 2003

PostPosted: May 25, 2004 2:11 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carol,

Congratulations on your decision to "Fake it till you make it". You are so very close to the beginning that you should soon start to see it. The start of a whole new life, phoenix from the ashes, I am so happy for you.

I'm happy you are feeling better too. I am solid in my quit but I am going through a divorce and there are days I don't feel like taking one more step but then I think, I quit smoking, If I can do that I can do anything. If there is life after smoking then there must be life after a divorce.

Just remember to stop regularly and pamper yourself. I think women neglect their well being as a habit and you need to take care of you first if you expect to be able to take care of those you love.

Take care of you Darlin

I wish you peace.

alison
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 25, 2004 4:17 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carol, that's wonderful news from your doctor. And wonderful news from you. You know....I was just a little concerned, but bottom line felt that you were too determined and strong to allow Laughing Demon to win!

If it's any consolation, I'm having a hard week too...I checked the moon phase, but it's almost exactly half moon...not full. go figure!

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
Marvel

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 25, 2004 4:17 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's wonderful news Carol!

I think you are a very lucky woman to overcome emphysema. It might help you to write yourself some notes where you can see them when you're feeling down--"I quit smoking! I can do anything!" and "I have clear lungs! Hallelujah!" or anything else that might cheer you up. I think a lot of us struggle with emotions that we didn't know we had or that we didn't know were so strong in us, because now we're not numbing ourselves with nicotine. I've even read that nicotine may cause depression, and I sure wouldn't be surprised if that turns out to be true. I have had lots of difficult times with depression since I quit, but I'll tell you that it's getting better all the time. I hope it gets better for you very soon dear.

Hang in there and remember how far you've come. You are awesome!

Marvel
QD 10/21/2003

Tammy

Quit Date:
February 16, 2004

PostPosted: May 25, 2004 4:40 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, (can you see tammy jumping up and down) That is an awesome report. CLEAR LUNGS! Carol, I am so happy for you. You have got to be thrilled. As far as the depression I do believe that will get better too. Wink You enjoy your news and celebrate tonight. Very Happy

Tammy
Free and loving it!
cherkohn

Quit Date:
March 15, 2004

PostPosted: May 25, 2004 6:44 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carol,

I am sorry that I didn't see your earlier post until today. But I am so glad that you did not quit quitting. I always look forward to celebrating my lunaversaries so near to yours.

Do not quit quitting. It would make me feel like I was a step away from smoking. So, think about it. You may be the cause of me losing my quit (not really, but it might be helpful to think so. Very Happy

And what great news from the doctor. I also have the same diagnosis as you, so maybe I will get the same kind of news.

Cheryl
Mindy

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 25, 2004 9:59 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carol,
I am so glad to hear about your clear lungs! YAY! Woo Hoo!

I am also happy you had a talk with your doctor she upped your meds. I certainly hope you're feeling better real soon. You are a loving, kind and compassionate person...don't ever forget that.
july26judi

Quit Date:
July 26, 2003

PostPosted: May 26, 2004 12:48 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Carol,

I've been having computer problems and wasn't aware that you were having such a stressful time...but I am so Very Happy that your news is so wonderful!!! Aren't you so happy that you quit smoking when you did???

I understand about the depression thing...I too am having difficulty keeping a Very Happy face on some of the time...my "irritation fuse" has become much shorter since I quit smoking...but I just keep working at keeping it all under control..anyway, I hope each day becomes easier and lighter for you and that soon you will be filled with a feeling of peace and joy.

You are such a wonderful quitter!

So happy to be quit and REALLY want to stay that way!!!

judi
quit date 7/26/03
Paula

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 26, 2004 11:11 AM    Post subject: YIPEEEEEE Reply with quote

See, there are miracles!!!

and you are one of them!!!

Thanks for sharing, and thanks for caring...
Love ya!
~Paula
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jennifer32327

Quit Date:
November 23, 2004

PostPosted: May 26, 2004 11:24 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so happy for you Carol. CONGRATS and that is wonderful you didn't let Laughing Demon win. I am starting on a new jourany myself and you are an inspiration for me to want to stay smoke free 4-EVER. You are a wonderful person and you should go do something nice for you to celebrate!!! Great News Carol!!! Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

Jennifer,

Keep your heart open to dreams for
as long as there is dream there is hope
and as long as there is hope
there is joy in living!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Kissimee

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 26, 2004 1:45 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news, Carol. I'm so happy for you!

I can NOT control the addiction because if I could, it would NOT be an addiction...BUT I can control ME, the addict.
~Tracy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > stories, essays, rambles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: