quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Peridontal (sp?) Surgery!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 7, 2006 1:06 AM    Post subject: Peridontal (sp?) Surgery! Reply with quote

I am getting peridontal surgery on Monday. I probably spelled it wrong, but the kind where the dentist operates on your gums! I am scared already. I had this on the other side of my mouth several years ago, and it was awful! I bled for a long time, and lost a week of work. (Also, I looked really ugly for a long time until I got the money to get the teeth capped. And this time I am living on my Pension, so I won't be getting extra money to get the teeth capped.)

I know I should stop worrying, but I am making myself sick with fear. Has anyone had good experiences? Or have any advice for getting thru this a little better??

Thanks,

P.S. I won't smoke, but it actually makes me think of it for the first time in ages. I guess this is another first without the crutch! Sad Question

P.S. Again. I keep posting this and then coming back and adding to it. I'm thinking maybe I will call tomorrow and cancel the appointment. But I really should not do that....I need this surgery. Oh, dear....I actaully feel sick!

Margaret
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 7, 2006 9:17 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know it's a scary thought, margaret, but do you know for sure that you'll have to get your teeth capped? i've had friends who've had this type of surgery whose gums just closed back in after they healed and they looked fine. maybe that won't be necessary this time. or maybe you'll come up with a way to pay for it if it is. there are too many possible outcomes, and the only way you're going to know which one is the real one is to have it done and see. you're making yourself sick by worrying about it; maybe you could try cataloguing your thoughts: just notice what they are and let them go, like a crave ("oh, i'm thinking that one again"). if you don't attach anyweight to them, those thoughts can't hurt you.

hope you have a speedy recovery. Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
swaneem

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 7, 2006 9:35 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret,

As you know I've had this done about 6 times......I've had stitches where he did the heaviest surgery and never had to have my teeth capped as a result. I've never had problems with this surgery.

I would talk to him about your fears of the bleeding and having to cap teeth......perhaps none of this will happen......but I would definitely mention it to him.

The bacteria does need to be handled......I believe you'll feel better afterwards getting that cleaned out. Very Happy

Donna

Just when the caterpillar thought his world was
coming to an end..........God made him a
BUTTERFLY.
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 7, 2006 10:25 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret, I had this done as well. It was on the very back tooth, so I never had it capped, and never had a problem again.

It was not fun....what surgury is? However, don't work yourself all up in a knot over it. I know, eat a lot of ice cream this weekend just to balance out the thoughts of the surgury.

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
Tammy

Quit Date:
February 16, 2004

PostPosted: July 7, 2006 10:23 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret, Sending you ((((((HUGS))))). Saying a prayer for you. Peace. It will be ok.

Tammy
Free and loving it!
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 7, 2006 11:54 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your kind answers!

Kevin, I think I might copy what you said, so I can remember it! I like that very much, to let the thoughts go about it. So maybe I could stop sorrying.

Also, I will ask about the capping of the teeth. I know the last time, I had them capped because so much of the gum was necessary to be removed, that when it healed, the gum never came down enough. Maybe that will not be the case this time, so I need to think more positive. If I do need them capped, that is true, Kevin, I might find a way to get it done. My dentist is very cooperative about these things.

I really do appreciate this support! The dentist is somehow a hard thing for me, and having friends helping me makes a difference! THank you!! Very Happy

Margaret
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: July 8, 2006 10:07 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, been there and done that....had my jaw broke also...Hey, girl I went out to eat the night I had the first side done and ate catfish.....also had bone implants put in....I just call them Henry since the doctor would only laugh when I asked where he got the bone....but then those who know him , know he is wicked Laughing Laughing Laughing Really, sweetie I never had any problem at all....
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 9, 2006 1:51 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Kay! That's wonderfully encouraging!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Wow! Maybe it won't be so bad this time! Smile

Margaret
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: July 9, 2006 11:21 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret - Healing will be much quicker since you aren't smoking. I'm a big advocate of the power of positive thinking... I just know you'll be fine! Don't make yourself sick thinking negatively!! Negative thoughts can be a self-fulfilling prophecy....what we think all to often is what we get...think about a really great result....and avoid that negative stuff...and see what happens! I'll say an extra prayer....

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: