quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

too much??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: July 28, 2006 8:40 AM    Post subject: too much?? Reply with quote

Is it possible to become addicted to exercise??? I'm working hard to reach my weight-watchers goal weight...less than 20 lbs to go - and I'm adding more exercise to the routine...I've started running three days a week - just 2 miles. I do water aerobics (1 hr) three times a week (T, TH, Sa). Still getting in at least three Curves workouts and one yoga class. I'm eating healthy and counting my Weight Watcher's points....but I keep craving more activity...I want to go walk, or go to the gym and jump on the elliptical trainer or go to the pool early for aerobics class and do some laps... That may explain why I'm not here and posting as often as I used to and I'm happy to say that smoking is very far from my thoughts - as a smoker I dreaded running...just struggled....sucking air...my two mile times are better than they were over 10 years ago...some of that is my improved level of conditioning/fitness - my current weight is comparable - but not smoking makes a huge difference. I guess the key is to set limits...but how much is too much?? I'm trying to listen to my body - knees, back, etc are fine...no pain...I use my heart rate monitor and keep my heart rate in the fat burning range of 70 to 80% of my max heart rate...running is the hardest to keep it in that range - sneaks up to 90% and then I make myself slow down...
There is no way I could have done this level of activity as a smoker...I love it! I just need to keep it reasonable and healthy....
It feels like the addictive personality is sneaking in and I really want to keep it fun and beneficial! And I have a full time job (forty-hours) a week and volunteer for 2 hours at my library.

I'm looking forward to a family reunion on Saturday - taking a day of vacation today and driving to Erie after my Weight Watcher's meeting and my Curves work out...
I'm be making some yummy (not weight watcher) German Potato salad for the picnic and some "buffalo" chicken breast in a crock pot...a healthier version of buffalo wings....and a dessert of some sort...

Everyone have a GREAT weekend!! I know I will!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 28, 2006 9:17 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about it Mary. I think that any doctor or healthcare professional would agree....don't worry be happy.

Enjoy your potato salad, and your chicken, and your weekend!

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
swaneem

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 28, 2006 9:25 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phew....you have a lot of energy, Mary! Very Happy It sounds like you're working out for the Olympics!

I know what you mean though about being addicted to exercise.

My entire life...I never really exercised....I danced because I loved it..but found exercise boring. After my accident last year the therapists also had me in the gym...in order to get my body back I had to exercise.

I ended up joining this gym and now I, too, have become addicted to exercise....I LOVE it. Anyone who knows me is puzzled by this. If I miss a week....I don't feel right. THere's something about seeing muscle develop...especially at my age! Very Happy

If you are actually "addicted" to exercise......enjoy! Who knows how long that will last!

Donna

Just when the caterpillar thought his world was
coming to an end..........God made him a
BUTTERFLY.
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 28, 2006 9:45 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first got serious about my weight over 9 years ago, I was a little neurotic about my exercise and I loved the feeling of a heavy workout. It tempered with time. You can get a high from the adrenaline rush, but I believe that is healthy ~ your body's way of saying this rocks, "keep going"!!! Cool

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
Lori

Quit Date:
March 18, 2006

PostPosted: July 28, 2006 10:04 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary,

I think what you said about listening to your body is the key. Everyone is different -- what is just right for one may be way too much for another. Your body knows, it will tell you. Just stay attuned to it. I think it's fantastic that you have found something you love so much! The joy you feel comes through loud and clear. It really touched me. Thanks for sharing that joy, Mary. I hope you have a fantastic weekend in Erie! Should be a little cooler there than in Pittsburgh, eh?

Lori
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 28, 2006 10:26 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

unless you're pushing yourself to do it (which it doesn't sound to me like you're doing), you're probably fine. what i see in your post is you saying you love it; where's the harm in that? Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: July 28, 2006 1:11 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback! You guys are the best!!! Had a great WW weigh in today...getting close and closer....

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 29, 2006 3:47 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Mary, you sound in tip-top shape! I think you are just feeling good, and what is the harm in that? More power to you, I say.

Now, me......uhmmm.....unfortunately I still have no love affair with exercise (and adored dancing back in he days of classical ballet, etc.).....it seems repetitive and boring which Dance never did, but I do it just the same. I do like the developing muscles part.....altlhough I'm nowhere close to what I used to have....and I love the high I get from it.

You go, Mary!! I see nothing at all wrong with this! Cool Cool Cool

Margaret
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: July 30, 2006 10:50 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Mary I'm happy for you. It sounds like you are having loads of fun and it has to be good for you.

Blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Free

Quit Date:
May 12, 2006

PostPosted: August 5, 2006 7:05 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can think of lots worse things to be addicted to! heh!

Become addicted to constant and never ending self improvement.

The difference between a mountain and a molehill is your perspective.

Realize that true happiness lies within you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: