quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

So this is how it's going to be
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: August 14, 2006 10:19 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Sammie....remind me...how many years did you smoke? I had a hard time remembering that smoke free was something I had to work at - it was new...and yes it felt pretty good most of the time - but nicotine and smoking was so intertwined in nearly everything I did that I had to remind myself that I couldn't change twenty years of smoking experience overnight - and yes - my knee-jerk reaction to nearly everything was to go smoke. Every emotion was linked to a cigarette! Slowly but surely I broke the links. I found that if I took things one day at a time and celebrated the successes - it was easier. Old Laughing Demon will keep after you...know that the tug will be there for a while...but it will ease up...give it a little time...and try to see the benefits you are experiencing right now. Enjoy your freedom!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
sammie

Quit Date:
June 13, 2006

PostPosted: August 14, 2006 11:00 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I smoked for about 13 years. You are very right about staying focused on the positive of what I'm doing. That seems to be taking more effort on my part than it has at other times. Some days in my quit I have felt like zippedy-doo-dah, spring-in-my-step, watch-me-go! I'm not there right now. I think life is a little stressful for me right now, and so the urges are kicking up with a little more intensity, OR, since I'm tired from the stress, I'm not feeling at my strongest and it seems to require more effort to bat the pesky Laughing Demon away.

I am thankful I can come here for kicks in the pants. I picture myself on a hot blacktop stretch of road, down on my knees, parched and tired, crawling along, and you all are behind me, prodding: "Keep movin, sammie! Keep movin down the road!" Smile
Free

Quit Date:
May 12, 2006

PostPosted: August 15, 2006 12:17 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that 'for the most part' we choose our attitudes, we choose how we are going to feel by choosing what we think. We choose how we are going to react to things; how we are going to approach things.

Motivational/Inspirational reading really helps me to condition my subconscious in positive way, instead of letting the world work on my subconscious in a negative way. We put out what we put in so to speak.

Possibly this thread: http://quit-smoking-support.woofmang.com/viewtopic.php?t=7141 can help you get through the 'rough/negative times'.

Fondly,
Free

I don't know if you believe in God, but if so, learning to take things to the Lord in prayer and REALLY handing control over your stress to him ... that is a really big help. Don't get me wrong, sometimes I get arrogant and try to take my stress back from him, but it doesn't take too long for me to say 'oops' ... here you go Lord, my bad. Wink

Become addicted to constant and never ending self improvement.

The difference between a mountain and a molehill is your perspective.

Realize that true happiness lies within you.
shevie

Quit Date:
May 23, 2005

PostPosted: August 15, 2006 1:04 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Sammie. Congratulations on 63 days smoke-free.

Being tired and/or stressed does make it harder. We've all been there. Just keep plodding along (or crawling as the case may be) and you'll come through it. Winston Churchill once said "If you are going through hell, keep going."

He also said "We shall not fail or falter; we shall not weeaken or tire. Give us the tools and we will finish the job." The tools are right here, Sammie.

Keep up the good quit. Smile
Shevie

If you study something in the right light, how can there be any darkness? Dave Gardner

Quit date: May 23, 2005
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: