quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

HELP/QUESTION

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
josie

Quit Date:
August 5, 2005

PostPosted: November 15, 2006 12:37 AM    Post subject: HELP/QUESTION Reply with quote

This is my first post on this site...I welcome any suggestions. My quit date was August 5, 2005. Prior to that, I never had any problems with intestinal
functions. At first, I had the dreaded obnoxious gas that sometimes occurs. That subsided some but even after 15 months quit, I still have quite a bit of bloating and gas....never had it before I quit. My biggest problem that I am dealing with is something that is hard to discuss, but here goes...because I need some advice. The consistency of my stools is so extremely soft and I am finding that I spend so much time in the bathroom trying to keep myself clean. This occurs several times a day. I really haven't changed my diet so that it would affect my digestive system. This is not a joke, but a real problem to me. The druggist advised I take some "bulk forming laxatives" to get things in check. I have started that this week. Has anyone else had this problem? I just hate to have the dreaded colonoscopy................So I am wondering if this is quit related or possibly some other condition. Thanks and I'm sorry to be so personal, but we all are trying to achieve our goal and live in a healthy manner.
josie
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: November 15, 2006 1:06 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Josie,

I'm sure if you kept a food journal it would produce something causing this. I've never heard of this being quit related. Maybe someone else knows.

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: November 15, 2006 7:51 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josie - Hi! Even if you haven't changed your diet - your body has changed as its learned to function without nicotine - but its been some time and I'm thinking there is something else going on. Maybe a food allergy? Lactose intolerance? If the Pharmacist's suggestion doesn't help - I think I'd talk to a nutrionist and keeping a food journal may give you a clue. Do you get enough fiber in your diet? Hope you find a good resolution! Keep that great quit going!!!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: November 15, 2006 8:24 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

First line of defense is speak with your Dr. stat. You could try getting your stomach flora back online. Go get a good probiotic yogurt eat one a day. Get some fresh not canned pineapple and eat as much of that as you like. Also take a turmeric and bromelain pill you can get at the drug store as it is great for digestion. I'd add bulk through a good fiber cereal. See the DOCTOR

I'm a NON-SMOKER thanks to everyone here
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 15, 2006 10:19 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melody wrote:
See the DOCTOR

Definately and asap.

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 15, 2006 10:28 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've never heard of this as a quit-related phenomenon, either, josie (and it seems quite a long way into the quit for something like this to be related to your body adjusting to the lack of nicotine); i second (or third, or however many it is so far) the suggestion that you talk to your doctor about this.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Free

Quit Date:
May 12, 2006

PostPosted: November 15, 2006 5:51 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a smoker all my life. I was constipated all my life. Now I am hardly ever constipated. So the consistency of my stools have changed as well. I'm only 6 months quit though. Also the consistency does not sound near as soft as yours. I would check with the doctor as well. It's always better to be safe than sorry.

I hope you are feeling better soon.

Fondly,
Free

Become addicted to constant and never ending self improvement.

The difference between a mountain and a molehill is your perspective.

Realize that true happiness lies within you.
josie

Quit Date:
August 5, 2005

PostPosted: November 15, 2006 6:20 PM    Post subject: thank you Reply with quote

Thanks to all who responded to my very "personal" question. You have given some things for me to think about. For the next few weeks, I will be watching what I eat, take a "bulk forming" medication and if that doesn't help, then I know it will be a visit to the doctor.
I smoked for 45+ years and I will not sugar coat anything....I went through pure hell for a while. It was all worth it because I love being smoke free!!!!! It is just taking my body longer to adjust w/o nicotene because I smoked for so many years.
I am really enjoying this site and all the replies that have been posted. If anyone has any suggestions on how I can be more helpful or knowlegable on how to post things, please feel free to let me know.
josie
Free

Quit Date:
May 12, 2006

PostPosted: November 15, 2006 8:48 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post to your heart's content Josie. And welcome.

Become addicted to constant and never ending self improvement.

The difference between a mountain and a molehill is your perspective.

Realize that true happiness lies within you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: