quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First icy roads of the season....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: December 7, 2006 11:33 PM    Post subject: First icy roads of the season.... Reply with quote

Why is it that on the way to work...everyone was flying along at 70 mph...but after a little snow fell at going home time...everyone inched along at speeds less than 10 mph bumper to bumper for miles???? The Pittsburgh vs Cleveland football game attendence reflected the wind chill and the road conditions... At least I spent my time at the gym while most of the crazy drivers were slip sliding away...so they were off the roads by the time I was ready to go home... it was still a slow drive...but arrived safely and undented....

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 7, 2006 11:40 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary, I don't know why they do that either, but they do it here in Chicago, too....in fact they even do it when there is nothing more than rain in the summer! Drives me crazy (hmmmm....sorry about the pun Laughing )

Glad you got home safely!

It is so cold here now that the greatest worry is the furnace! It gets so cold at night in the apartment. Wouldn't you think that at that time the landlord would turn the heat up the most?? But nooooo.....at night it's barely on! And I cannot let Casey the dog sleep with me, because he twitches and jumps around, and even walks on me like a cat! Laughing Rolling Eyes
So I worry about him getting too cold, even with his rugs and blankets.
Me, I have the electric blanket! Wink

Margaret
swaneem

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 7, 2006 11:53 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be here in Arizona....they have no clue how to drive on dry pavement during a sunny day...we've caught people going 120 on the freeway....they don't ever use their signals and refuse to let you change lanes in front of them....they weave dangerously in and out of traffic at high speeds.....add some rain...that makes no difference.....I have never seen worse drivers.

Being from Wisconsin and knowing how to drive safely in snow....I always say that if you would put the drivers from here in Wisconsin for just one day in a snowstorm...they would all kill each other.

Donna

Just when the caterpillar thought his world was
coming to an end..........God made him a
BUTTERFLY.
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 8, 2006 12:36 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Wink Good one, Donna!! Love that last part about them all killing themselves. Cool

It's frustrating to say the least!!!!!!

Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
shevie

Quit Date:
May 23, 2005

PostPosted: December 8, 2006 1:21 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that idea, Donna. I've often thought that they should declare a "law free" week on the freeways here. Advertise the heck out of it so no one can say they didn't know, then turn 'em loose. Come in after the week is over and bulldoze the mess away. Would probably go far in cleaning up the gene pool.

Shevie

If you study something in the right light, how can there be any darkness? Dave Gardner

Quit date: May 23, 2005
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 8, 2006 10:21 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you are safe! Cool

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
Free

Quit Date:
May 12, 2006

PostPosted: December 8, 2006 11:49 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lived many places around the world. The worst places were the ones that had a high transit population. Las Vegas, NV has really bad driving conditions due to many driving habits in one location and the 24 hour drinking.

No doubt about it, where ever you are, drive careful and live life with an attitude of gratitude. It can be taken from us at any minute.

I am so glad I don't have to live in areas where it snows anymore. So glad you arrived safely Mary.

I use traffic as a way for me to work on my patience. I don't know if it is helping, but I'm trying. Laughing

Become addicted to constant and never ending self improvement.

The difference between a mountain and a molehill is your perspective.

Realize that true happiness lies within you.
jahunta

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 8, 2006 12:19 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try not to complain when people get a little over-cautious. I've lived in the snow and it used to rile me up too. I still get a case of road rage every now and again, but at least I know if I'm going slow, my chances of getting home alive have increased.

I know a lot of people lately grieving over loved ones because of the stupidity of another driver.

Quitting is Living!!!
QD: 2/15/04
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 8, 2006 2:18 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like inching along, as I hate high speed, Indy 500 type driving (like the Jersy Turnpike, or I128 in Boston). Going slow gives me a chance to watch other peoPle in their cars, which I find fascinating.

The only time going really slow bugs me is if I have to pee, or am running out of gas!

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: December 8, 2006 9:10 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living in the St. Louis area, we became well schooled in snow and ice just last week. At one point, there were over 500,000 residences and businesses without electricity. That's been more than a week ago and there are still several thousand out. Thank God, this time, our power stayed on.

The drivers here go absolutely nuts during the first storm of the season and then seem to make up their minds that it's no big deal; just be careful.

I really do enjoy snow, it's the ice that frightens me. At least you can get some traction in snow but there's just no control when driving on ice.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: