quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Exercise & quitting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marigrrl

Quit Date:
December 1, 2010

PostPosted: January 8, 2007 1:16 PM    Post subject: Exercise & quitting Reply with quote

Hello everyone!! Very Happy
I am still here and quit!
According to my quit meter it says
I have been quit for 4 Weeks, 2 Days, 12 hours, 7 minutes and 33 seconds (30 days).

I feel pretty good and I realized there isn't going to be a moment where I feel completely different...its gradual, but its all starting to add up little by little. As time goes on I think I have finally realized how gross smoking is and what I was actually doing to my body. Everytime I have quit before I think I never really fully understood what I was doing and why...but I feel that I really got a grasp on it and made a strong decision to never smoke again.

I have been exercising when I can, not as much as I would like but I do make the effort...I feel like my body needs exercise since I quit, it craves it. It doesn't want to be lazy and light up a cigg.
Yesterday I did a light strength workout/cardio, and I felt a pain in my lungs where I actually started to cough. I never got that while I was a smoker, and it felt like my lungs were trying to open up... I felt a bit shocked because at that moment I realized how bad smoking is, and what it has done to my body.... I feel grateful that I am letting myself heal again, everyday slowly... i know my body is thanking me. That pain in my lungs hurt, but I know its a good pain..its a pain of my lungs taking in more oxygen, a sign of healing...thats what i am telling myself anyway.

I ran today and testing out my new lungs feels pretty good..I don't get tired as fast... These little signs make it worth every bad day...
I can't lie and say its been easy.. i been emotional, I have had my short temper days, I have had my days where I feel like I can't cope with certain things, and am quick to shed some tears Laughing , but its worth it. A new me is emerging, and I am thankful.

I guess this is my "30 day ramble".

Mariko

Follow Your Bliss
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 8, 2007 2:57 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

and a good ramble it was, mariko! keep it going! Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Meggie84

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 8, 2007 6:42 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

30 days, that's great! You said that you had quit before, but this time seems to be sticking. That's great to hear. This is my 3rd quit, and I've gotten farther than I have before, even though it's only 7 days. I have never really exersized before (I'm AWEFULLY lazy), maybe you have some tips for beginners exersizes that I could ease into?

Megan
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: January 8, 2007 9:34 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Mariko. It s so good to hear from you again and to learn that you're enjoying some of the benefits of quitting. Just try to be patient; there are many more benefits to come.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: January 9, 2007 8:21 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Mariko!!! Exercise is a great way to cope with quitting and yes, it is a wonderful reminder of what we were doing to our lungs - especially when they start responding favorably!! Thirty-days.....is terrific!!! Way to go!

Megan - I'd suggest start walking....no special equipment required - and a wonderful place to start....then increase speed and distance....but go slow at first - and of course - the standard disclaimer.. Rolling Eyes ...always check with your doctor before starting an exercise program!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 10, 2007 8:34 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome ramble, Mariko!! And oh, so true! YOu are doing a great job with the quit, too! Cool

Megan, walking is good, but I found it helpful to have a destination. For example, I walked about a mile (but you can start with less) to a coffee shop, and there I got to stop for yummy cookies and coffee. It was something to look forward to while I was walking. Another way to ease into exercise is to put on music around the house and just dance to it, or buy a jazzercise video, or join a class that sounds like fun.

Cool Smile

Margaret
Marigrrl

Quit Date:
December 1, 2010

PostPosted: January 11, 2007 4:45 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks everyone for the replies!!

I feel like I am slowly healing!

I am getting a lot more head aches though, I wonder if this could possibly be from quitting?? I keep getting them everyday or every other day... it feels like a tension headache, anyone else experience this during their quit??

I took a yoga class hoping it would relieve it, and during one of the poses, the headache came again! Yoga feels great though!

Megan, as for exercising, everyone has given you great advice...I think walking is a great start! Just moving around for at least 20-30 minutes a few times a week, is a great stress reliever! Walking/power walking... Even going to the nearest shopping mall and walking around for an hour (even if your not buying anything) is great too, and while your there, get yourself a reward! ^_^.

xoxo
Mariko

Follow Your Bliss
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: