quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nicotine hand gel....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
texas2step

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 11, 2007 11:34 AM    Post subject: Nicotine hand gel.... Reply with quote

Boy it's getting deeper all the time. Read this morning in the news at Yahoo that Walgreens will be selling a new hand gel, not only kills germs but delivers a load of nicotine.

Good grief when will these companies stop trying to make absolutely everyone think they can only quit smoking with nicotine replacement or other drugs? It really gripes me sorry, if you use NRTs or whatever I don't mean any offense but these companies are marketing hard to the weak side of humans. If I can quit cold turkey ANYONE can believe me.... but it's just awful that more and more ways of delivering poison to us are being developed in the name of making profit.....

Grrrrrrrrr -Wink

Texas

"You can't always have happiness, but you can always give happiness."
Anonymous

Quit: 8/14/06
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 11, 2007 3:38 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it smells anything like the nicotine gum (i.e., like nicotine), i can't imagine anyone would want to use it more than once...

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Dene

Quit Date:
December 4, 2006

PostPosted: January 11, 2007 5:55 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought all day on whether I was going to weigh in on this rant or not and I have to.

I don't believe in this hand cream either. But as far as NRT's go 'in general' they worked for me and I do take offense when CT is run out as the only way to quit. I know many health professionals recommend it, but they don't live inside my body, but some doctors do not recommend CT. This decision should be left between the patient and their doctor. I tried CT many times couldn't do it, couldn't get past 2 days and now I have 39 days today without one single puff and I'm proud of myself. I have earned every moment and every day. I am now off the patch and the step off was not bad at all. I am not a weak person on any level, but if addictions were only an issue of willpower we would not have any people addicted to cigarettes, cigars, pipes, chew, alcohol, drugs or food etc..

As long as I quit and stay quit that is the proof of my conviction not how I got there. I thank God everday that I made it through another day without a smoke.

I'm glad CT worked for you and Kevin, but it doesn't always work for everyone and I have two other friends that have 2 and 5 year quits going and they used the patch. I'm in for supporting anyone who wants to quit anyway they can. This hand cream sounds like a scam, but please don't make generalized judgemental statements on NRT's and people who use them when you don't know all the stories behind them. Hope I'm not kicked off the site, but this how I see it and you will always know where I stand.
Dene
Rusty

Quit Date:
December 13, 2004

PostPosted: January 11, 2007 7:37 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dene, I don't think you will get kicked off the site...I think Kevin values everyone's quit no matter how they got it. But I do agree with you, it's the quit that's important, not the how.

I also read about the nicotine gel. It didn't seem like a method to quit smoking...it seems like just another way to get the drug. I worry that people who are trying to quit will use it thinking it is an NRT.

Anyway, my two cents.

Rusty

The Buddha says: Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.
Dene

Quit Date:
December 4, 2006

PostPosted: January 11, 2007 8:09 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am a bit sensitive on this topic as it seems to be working for me and others. But also my mother died from lung cancer, she was too young and at the time there were no NRT's just Cold Turkey and she couldn't do it. I watched her struggle so hard to quit and she just couldn't do it. If there had been NRT's available and she thought NRT's or lemon drops (placebo effect) would work for her I would have supported that whole heartedly. I think CT is great way to get the nicotine out of your system fast, if you can hang. I couldn't and the patch helped me get some coping skills down before I went off them. I needed help with both the addiction and the mental habit. And yes the hand cream just like other so called 'natural' cures on other web sites are probably scams, but who am I to say what will work for someone else? I can only suggest and tell my story. I think compassion is the word for the day.
swaneem

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 12, 2007 12:20 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dene,

The road to the quit is different for everyone. The only thing of importance is the quit....no matter the path taken.

Donna

Just when the caterpillar thought his world was
coming to an end..........God made him a
BUTTERFLY.
texas2step

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 12, 2007 9:07 AM    Post subject: LOL Reply with quote

Hey Dene no need to get your panties in a bunch. I'm complaining about the methods of marketing such things not the use of NRT products. Sure quitting is important and however you can quit is GOOD - but there are people who have been on the nicotine gum for years now - my dentist is one of them. He still chews the gum all day and night. Now maybe that's okay but how many years should one be addicted to NRT's. But he'll tell you that he quit smoking.... yea right -Wink

So the point was not about using an NRT, that's fine and if it helps you quit GREAT! But if all that happens is you get hooked on the NRT not so great. But this hand gel is not an NRT however the people marketing it don't think a thing is wrong with telling people they can use it "at times when you cannot smoke or want to quit" and that's just wrong.

Marketing of this stuff ought to carry some conscience that's all, these people are profiting from the misery of others and that's a shame. I think you totally misunderstood what was said and I apologize if it made you uptight but these companies hold the fates of a lot of people in their hands and some of them don't care - they are there for the MONEY not to save us from smoking because they care about us.

Texas

Anonymous

Dene

Quit Date:
December 4, 2006

PostPosted: January 12, 2007 11:30 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

panties in a bunch? Ouch!! Congrats on your quit.
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 12, 2007 4:32 PM    Post subject: Re: Nicotine hand gel.... Reply with quote

texas2step wrote:
.... but it's just awful that more and more ways of delivering poison to us are being developed in the name of making profit.....

Let's face it....economy factors will always be there...ie...profits. Whether by docs or NRT companies....it's a fact of life..

HOWEVER, the ones making the "real" profit on the addiction are the tobacco companies who peddle the cigarettes that keep those fixed to a continual smoke. NRT are temporary in nature...and an help to those of us who aren't able to do it CT.

Companies make products to make profit. That's a fact. It boils down to the motive behind the product....is it a lifetime hook they are hoping for (tobacco companies) or a method to help people "kick the habit" (nrts).

(smoking is an addiction, not a habit...the above is just a common phrase)

Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
texas2step

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 12, 2007 6:17 PM    Post subject: So true Reply with quote

Yea Deb so true... and only sad in the respect that some people are made to feel like they cannot achieve quitting without drugs or NRT. I know this well because I figured I was hooked forever. I watched my grandfather die too young and miserably (he weighed only 80 pounds when he died) and several other members of my family go through cancer treatment - all smokers and yet I kept right on puffing because as I understood things, it was very hard to quit smoking.

Imagine my shock to find out that it was one of the easiest things I have done in years compared to what I thought or had been led to believe by all the propaganda..... wow it was an eye opener.

If someone can quit smoking using nicotine replacement so much the better but even then, when the treatment ends it's all cold turkey from there as one must at some point stop ingesting nicotine in any form. So we all end up the same way, no nicotine and healthier lives on the horizon -Wink

My dearest friend quit using a NRT and she and I had several discussions during our quits. It was interesting to me that she told me when she finished her NRT that she realized it was "now or never" on just being quit and that it was just like quitting cold turkey for her at that point. I'm sure it was. The NRT was a life line that she had to let go of at some point - and that's as scary as letting go of our smokes.

And thank goodness we're all continuing just that - NOT SMOKING!!!!

Texas

Anonymous

Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 12, 2007 10:47 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas,

It's heartwrenching watching loved ones suffer through the pain of cancer and it's treatment. My father died of lung cancer. Funny thing is...he had quit several years before the cancer. Yet, we all still kept smoking. It's not that we didn't realize that smoking could cause cancer and several other diseases and problems, but the nature of the addiction blinds one to the truth of quitting. People die...and whether we quit or not, is our own personal choice. Some will smoke till they die, because they, quite frankly, do not want to give up the smoke. It's the addict's thinking. That junkie within...the demon that has a stronghold.

It's the same with the NRT. You mention your friends' outlook. But, that isn't everyone's outlook. I use NRT. It IS a life saver for me. I've went through the whole program in the past with no difficulty and without a "cold turkey" withdraw during the step downs and the final step of no NRT. It was like there was no difference at all. It all is in the point of view and frame of mind of the person quitting. And whether one believes in cold turkey, or NRT, or wellbutrin...it doesn't matter. Whereever a person has their belief and faith to quit...that is main thing. This addiction has two faces...the physical and the mental. One aspect of the addiction may be tougher for one person to overcome, and vice versa. We are all different.

And about those who stay on NRT for extended periods...well, at least, they are not smoking and poisoning themselves with hundreds of other toxins. No...extended use of NRTs isn't the normal or recommended. And yes, they are still feeding the addiction, but they aren't smoking.

I do believe that a person is better off to quit cold turkey, but, as with anything, not all can achieve quitting by that method.

So, Texas, kudos to you for kicking it CT! And keep up the great quit you have going.

Love and Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: