quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Green Tea Study

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swaneem

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 10, 2007 7:28 PM    Post subject: Green Tea Study Reply with quote

The Arizona Caner Center is doing a study to investigate the impact of drinking green tea on the cell damage caused by smoking.

Some of the damage goes away after quiting. But other damage, called oxidative stress, is permanent. There is damage to fat, protein and DNA.

The doctors are testing whether tea consumption by ex-smokers can be associated with decreased damage to fat, protein or genetic material to prevent lung cancer.

In my opinion this is an amazing study.....most are usually involving drugs...and not something as healthy as green tea.

I think we all should start drinking it....if we haven't already.

Donna

Just when the caterpillar thought his world was
coming to an end..........God made him a
BUTTERFLY.
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: March 10, 2007 11:24 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen several articles that recommend Green Tea to enhance weight loss efforts! It will be interesting when they publish their results.

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Zuzu

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 11, 2007 3:29 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Mary Dude said about seeing the published results... having just read the supplement article by the Cochrane Group showing that supplementing with antioxidants not only does not prolong life but may actually be harmful, brings that lesson home again.

The supplement/herb/complementary-alternative-medicine (CAM) business is a multi-BILLION dollar commercial enterprise that is largely unregulated. Very few well designed studies have taken place to support the feeble claims made by many of these product manufacturers. People jump up in arms about side effects of therapies tested in well-designed and well-controlled clinical studies - where the risks and benefits are better known - but the dive head first into uncharted waters of supplementation with products that as marketed as "natural" or "alternative" (as though something that can be acquired over the counter doesn't have side effects, as though it's more promising if there's absolutely no data from well designed studies to support its use.)

This is one of my pet peeves. It's highly doubtful to me that drinking green tea is going to harm anyone - if done in moderation - but until there are studies, well-designed and well-controlled studies, documenting benefits for various uses and indications, you're likely better off spending your money on great family activities that bring you and yours closer together - because we KNOW love heals all.

-Zuzu
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 22, 2007 9:17 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used cold green tea and frozen blue berries as part of my quit. I now have at least one large glass of cold green tea a day. I like it.

For me, green tea was part of refining and dedicating myself to eating better after quiting smoking.

Here's to all our good health ~ sending good thoughts! Cool

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
texas2step

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 22, 2007 9:43 AM    Post subject: Holistic myself Reply with quote

I can't speak for others but for myself, I have not had the flu or hardly even a cold in years - even though every flu season all around me people are sick. I do not take a flu shot, never likely will. I believe firmly that I do not become ill because I take a vitamin regime that has saved me for years. The reason I know it has worked is one year about five years ago there was a guy on TV spouting about how taking extra vitamins was a waste. My husband listened to this and said we would stop taking all vitamins. That winter I got so sick with the flu, I wanted to kill him AND the man on TV who seemed to know it all. -Wink

Instead I vowed that no one would ever cause me to change my regime because for me it works. For years before we saw this new "news" of vitamin supplements being a waste, I had not been sick - and I do not over dose. But that was the worst mistake I ever made, changing my regime because someone else said so.

After that horribly sick winter I now take my same regime from the first frost (or first runny nose person I see while I am out and about - which signals illness is on the loose) and I take it daily as if my life depended on it until half way into summer. I never feel ill and if I get a sniffly nose I take one extra vitamin C that day and it's gone by the next day.

That is not to say it will work for everyone but I use many holistic medicines and have been a believer in herbals and vitamins for many years. I take one 250 mg C, one 50 mg zinc and one Geritol complete daily throughout the flu season and a bit beyond. I am never sick and I never take the flu shot. I am not a kid, I will be 56 this June.

What I think is some of all kinds of things works for different people. You have to find what works for you and stick with it. There is no fountain of youth except to live, eat and be as healthy as you can and some of that might include things not everyone wants to do. That's okay that's why there are different things for people. Green tea in moderation or even in gallons is probably way better for people than carbonated drinks like Coka Cola and such. The human body wasn't meant to digest carbonation. Year ago I used to drink Dr Peppers all day. One day I got tired of my back hurting so I went to the Dr and he said get off the DP's for one week and see how you feel. Dang sure enough one week no DP my back never hurt again so now I might drink one soft drink every six months and only then if water isn't available and I'm thirsty.

I remember back when they did the study that sugar was bad for you and everybody switched to the fake sugars - so now they say some of those are bad for you but real sugar in moderation isn't.... and years ago they said - drink only one cup of coffee - now they say three wont' hurt you and for some people it helps them.... LOL "They" can never make their minds up for long......

In truth I think it's simple. Everything in moderation is healthier than anything else. We eat what we want and my husband and I both have normal blood pressure and cholesterol levels. But we eat balanced and varied foods. I seldom fry but we do not abstain from fried foods - we just take them in moderation. And I think a big key has been not eating at places like MacDonalds and such - the more you eat at home and the less fast food you eat the better you will feel.

Oh wow, didn't mean to get so carried away.... but I always smile to myself when they come out with the next "big study" cause it won't be many years before they find someone to refute those findings.... but just like quitting smoking is a personal thing and must be done to each of our own comfort levels, finding what's healthy for you is too. I just always try to dig deeper cause not every "expert" is always right (IMHO)

Texas

"You can't always have happiness, but you can always give happiness."
Anonymous

Quit: 8/14/06
Zuzu

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 22, 2007 1:27 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, here! I'm with Texas. Make your own informed decisions, do what works for you and don't be persuaded by multi-billion dollar corporations making (often) false claims about their products' benefits and that don't invest in research to serve the people they profit off of. And certainly don't be persuaded by people with their own sets of "beliefs" about the benefits of what they're doing.

I personally "believe" in vitamin supplementation and agree with the nutritionists who contend that micronutrients are not "best" delivered in pill form, but in their more natural and holistic state (e.g. food!), with constituents that aide their absorption and usability by the body. Personally I invest in organic, locally grown food. It's a little more expensive than the alternative, but I figure I could spend my money on pills or invest in the source. This works really well for me (despite a paucity of data on supplementation - I find this is a useful and effective way for me to supplement!)

I too use complimentary and alternative medicine. Choosing carefully, I try to focus on what's called "non-pharmacologic" approaches (though I think we could all debate whether or not they're 'really' non-pharmacologic.) For me that includes massage, acupuncture, yoga (yes, I actually do consider yoga a form of healing!) and meditation. The "benefits" of these approaches, in my opinion, is that they don't pose possible drug-herb interactions or side effects. The power of the mind and body in health and healing can't be emphasized enough! Those things help me, I believe, but I know people who are incredibly healed by a good meal with friends and family and my hats off to them - I like your style!

The bottom line for me is to consider available data, the quality of the data, and make informed decisions based on what makes sense for you!

-Zuzu
jahunta

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 22, 2007 2:16 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually just like the taste of green tea. I find it quite satisfying. So much so, I've stopped drinking coffee! Something that I was not trying to do. But here I am, a non-coffee drinker. Very interesting. I have no idea of the benefits of green tea either as a weight loss thing, or otherwise. Though I hear people at work who take SCADS of supplements, saying it works for them. Whatever. I have about 2-4 regular mugs a day and if nothing else, I'm getting fluids. I'm drinking a Jasmine/Green tea now which is just like an added bonus! Between the tea and the water, I can't sit at my desk for more than half an hour!! Rolling Eyes

Quitting is Living!!!
QD: 2/15/04
texas2step

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 22, 2007 3:24 PM    Post subject: Yes!!! Reply with quote

Yes ZuZu... I agree and indeed yoga and all sorts of things similar should be considered healthy and part of a whole balanced system. That's the thing about holistics and herbal medicine - it's creating a balance not treating a symptom but using things that make the whole body stronger and more capable of healing itself (or keeping from becoming ill by being healthier) and our minds are a huge part of that process. Much of traditional medicine just treats symptoms, most of herbal medicine works towards a healthier whole body to assure there are no symptoms to treat.

I do take pill form vitamins in supplement but I found out that for me, if I didn't I suffered the consequences and had a horrible case of the Flu so it's possible that both mentally and physically I "need" them.... either way I will keep them in my regime because they work for me. LOL and if it's only mental well nobody tell me and I won't care......

Yes Jahunta and lots of liquids are wonderful body purgers. I drink tons of water every day as much as I can. Cleaning out our systems (even if that means not being able to sit still more than half an hour) is so healthy. I try to drink at least 8 to 10 glasses, not little ones either - daily of water. Cannot give up my one cup of coffee in the morning in winter but come summer I drink water all day. Now come evening I cheat - got to have my cold beer LOL but I only drink one beer or one glass of wine so I don't feel guilty at all.....

Being healthy as we can truly does take study - you're so right ZuZu "The power of the mind and body in health and healing can't be emphasized enough!"

Texas

"You can't always have happiness, but you can always give happiness."
Anonymous

Quit: 8/14/06
Zuzu

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 23, 2007 1:02 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Nita, while it's not "green" tea, I've just discovered a most luscious tea, called Lapsong Souchong tea. (If you're in the City, they sell it at the Imperial Tea Court in the new Ferry Building as well as in China Town. The China Town Tea Court is the first traditional Chinese tea house in the United States - they're owned by the same couple.) "They" say that either you love or hate the Lapsong Souchong tea. It's very smokey (dried over pine fires... it almost tastes like a campfire.. very woody and smokey) and "light" in caffeine as it takes the lowest leaves. It makes me swooooon! No claimed health benefits, but I'm telling you, it's transcendental!

-Zuzu
Zuzu

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 23, 2007 1:04 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas, I'm with you. You have to trust your gut and you've found something that works for you. EVEN if it's the placebo effect (and I'm not saying for you it is), well... the whole point about the placebo effect is that people get better.

Believing in what you're doing and having an attitude of well-being is key to success - be it using balancing medicines (like herbs/supplements) or stopping smoking. Cultivating a positive attitude is critical.

So here's to a day of positive thinking!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: