quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My Main Trigger!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diane

Quit Date:
April 23, 2007

PostPosted: May 12, 2007 11:13 AM    Post subject: My Main Trigger!! Reply with quote

I have a bad case of TMF (Too Much Family) going on right now and it is bringing out Scowling Demon big time! I love them but they are driving me crazy! Everyone is coming to my house tomorrow - originally for dinner, then big sis wants brunch, but then little sis wants dinner - no, make it brunch and a movie - and my Mom just wants us to be together ALL DAY!!!

I haven't told them about quitting because, although they will mean well, I just can't take the sympathy. Last quit, Mom called EVERY DAY - "How's the not smoking going?" until I finally told her that I was smoking again so she could stop asking!

So no more Ms Nice Guy!!! I called everyone - it's brunch, told them what they can bring, will take Mom to a movie (Georgia Rule - seems appropriate for the day!), then will hide out at home ALL BY MYSELF! I've just got to remember to buy lots of champagne for the Mimosas and an extra bottle for me for the evening!!!

Nicodemon will not get me this weekend, but he sure is trying! Little does he know that I can't wait to join the Freedom Fighters List, and that will keep me free until Monday (my 3 weeks)! Thank god for that list!!!

I hope everyone has a great Mother's Day!
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 12, 2007 3:01 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diane,

Hey!...question...are we related?....sounds like my lovely family and mom! Rolling Eyes I'm like you...I didn't tell mine either because of that sort of stuff.

Well, good for you, Girl! You put your foot down about the get together. It's seems to be another benefit of quitting....being able to take complete control back of our lives in all areas. Wink Laughing

You can get through the weekend...you have your guard up on high alert! Wink I just feel for ya, cause I know how family can be sometimes!

And looking forward to adding you on the Freedom Fighter List on your 22nd day! You Go Girl!!!!! Keep fighting with all your might!

Big Hug ((((((Diane))))))

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: May 12, 2007 4:01 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job Diane!! Keep it going! And no matter what else happens - make sure you hug your mom for me! I miss mine alot....celebrate with them while you can.....moms sure are special - even when they are difficult!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Rusty

Quit Date:
December 13, 2004

PostPosted: May 12, 2007 5:26 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

MD, I'm so glad you said that. Someone in my office was griping about her mother who had come to visit for a few days. I just sat there, thinking "I wish my mother could come for a few days." Not to discount family issues at all, but do your best to love them while they are here, because tomorrow they might not be!

Meanwhile, Diane, it's YOUR day, too, so take control and certainly don't let the junkie have any.

Have a great day!

Rusty Very Happy

The Buddha says: Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.
Diane

Quit Date:
April 23, 2007

PostPosted: May 12, 2007 6:14 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! And Mary & Rusty, you are so correct...it's just scary that the older I become the more I see my mom in me! OK, maybe that's not sooooo bad, but I'll never tell her I said that!

Have a great day!
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 13, 2007 7:50 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't speak to my mother for two weeks after my quit. She was not allowed to call me.

You are doing GREAT!!!!!!!!! Cool

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
Doggygirl

Quit Date:
February 26, 2007

PostPosted: May 13, 2007 10:03 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diane!!! It sounds like you have a great attitude in the midst of a tad bit of family chaos. Sounds like you've got the skills to get the day under control, and as a result, make it special for your Mom.

LOL on family get togethers. I started enjoying them more when I took control of the planning (since both the in-laws and the out-laws like coming HERE for many of our gatherings). I don't mind input (limited) - especially from the guest(s) of honor. Everyone else can either put up, shut up, or volunteer to host next time. Smile Smile

Enjoy the day!!

Beth
Day 76

Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same. ~Francesca Reigler
nichole

Quit Date:
April 14, 2007

PostPosted: May 13, 2007 12:02 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Diane! You sound like me. We do become our mothers, don't we? Well, all the parts of our mothers that annoy us anyway... Deep breath, sip of champagne, smile and count down the hours Laughing Laughing

Try to enjoy it...

~nichole
Patty129

Quit Date:
February 18, 2007

PostPosted: May 13, 2007 5:25 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Diane....and I hope you and mom had a great Mother's Day......it all sounds pretty "normal." Patty
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: May 13, 2007 11:32 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Alleghany, not allowed to call you...that is too funny... I have a few to add to that list....

You are doing great with your resolve to stay smoke free...the freedom list is a great first accomplishment....then the month, 3 months etc...take small steps and set reasonable goals....then just blow ole Laughing Demon off as you used to do the smoke...
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
Diane

Quit Date:
April 23, 2007

PostPosted: May 14, 2007 3:48 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

The family get together was great! There was no tension, everyone got along fine, and no one noticed that I wasn't smoking!

I have to admit I was surprised at the strength of the cravings I was having before everyone came over, probably because this was another "first". I used to take smoking breaks as I was getting ready for company - clean the kitchen then have a smoke, set the dining room table, have a smoke... So I cleaned the kitchen, then BAM! I didn't know what to do with myself, so I turned on the TV (the Dog Whisperer was on) and totally zoned out for a few minutes.

Just when I think I'm getting a handle on this thing, it shakes me up. But today is 3 weeks, and I'll just keep taking it one day at a time.
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 14, 2007 6:34 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diane....congrats on 3 weeks of freedom! It'll keep easier from here on out...not totally gone, but the urges will gradually weaken and fade in frequency....and the break thing...hear ya...did the same...clean the kitchen and then smoke. And yes, the first few times are rough...cause that trigger kicks in and well, just have to figure out what to do other than smoke....I now take a quick coffee break! Very Happy

It's just all about those adjustments we make in the smokefree life!! And you're doing great.

Glad the get together was pleasant and the day a good one!!

Love ya

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: May 14, 2007 8:24 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

you did just great...aren't you really proud of yourself now...?
kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
Chrissy

Quit Date:
April 21, 2007

PostPosted: May 17, 2007 9:24 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its always so hard !! I never told anyone I started smoking again so i quit as I was smoking....in the closet by myself. maybe thats a giood thing huh??? LOL Hope all keeps going great for ya. Chrissy~

Always In Love and Light
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 19, 2007 9:19 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I haven't been here sooner to cheer you on, but you are doing a SUPER< SUPER job!!! I'm so glad the holiday went OK> And I know just what you mean about family. They do mean well, but when I first quit, I could not stand anyone to mention it. You did great!! Just keep that up, and soon you won't even remember the nicodemon!

Say, are you getting those rewards every week? You deserve them! Cool Very Happy

Margaret
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: