quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Dilemma...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > stories, essays, rambles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mindy

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 8, 2004 9:24 PM    Post subject: Dilemma... Reply with quote

Ok, I've told you all in another post how my 9 year old daughter will be flying to Arizona from Chicago next Tuesday to stay for 4 weeks. Well, this will be the 2nd time she's flown all alone. (In the past, her dad has always came here to get her and I've flown to Arizona to pick her up at the end of her visits). Anyhow, with the new terrorist threats against the airlines, I'm so nervous. I almost don't want to send her, but if I don't I'm in contempt of court for not sending her. Her dad would NOT understand if I didn't send her. I don't know what to do...I'm just driving myself nuts thinking about this...sorry to ramble.
Zuzu

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 8, 2004 10:56 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindy-

You do have some options.. including driving her out to Arizona. Hopefully Chicago isn't too big of a terrorist target and certainly once the plane is off the ground and in the air ... well, a terrorist who targetted something in Arizona is just wrong... what are they gonna take out there.. a golf course!? Talliessen West? I fail to see the political target. (I would think a terrorist would want an airplane taking a cross continental trip or even international trip, with primo full tanks of gas for a good explosion... Chicago to Arizona isn't even that far!)

Statistics are on your side... she's more likely to die in a car crash on the way to Arizona if you drove her than she is to be injured in a terrorist attack on domestic soil.

Hmmm.. I don't know if this is helping.

Did you see Bowling for Columbine? Check it out... don't propogate a culture of fear.. don't let yourself live in that world. Sleep with your doors unlocked... trust. Be safe in the world.. it is a safe place.

I'm thinking of you and I hope you find resolve and comfort in a course of action!

-Zuzu
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 9, 2004 7:34 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mindy.....Zuzu is right, and she's probably safer getting on the plane than the school bus in the morning. Or, is it that you are afraid to be alone with your new non smoking you for 4 weeks?

she'll be fine and you'll be fine. you're worrying too much about something you can't do anything about. Don't transfer your fears to your daughter, or all it to let the Laughing Demon be in control!

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
Tammy

Quit Date:
February 16, 2004

PostPosted: June 9, 2004 9:29 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindy, I think the others are right. If it is court ordered than you don't have a choice she has to go. So either drive her yourself or she flies. Hey and didn't you mention in an earlier post that your daughter really did not want to go. I think there has been a lot of turmoil surounding this trip anyway. Maybe you and your daughter should take a step back, take a deep breath and regroup concerning this trip. Very Happy Whatever you do don't smoke! Very Happy

Tammy
Free and loving it!
law_girl_1969

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 9, 2004 9:36 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindy, hon, we used to go through these fears every time my step daughter would fly back and forth between her two homes...it's scary even without the terrorist angle when you let your thoughts of the worst possible scenarios take over.

She's safer flying than any other form of travel, and while it is natural to worry about her, you have to let go of things that are out of your control. She's going to be fine, and you're going to be fine, even though it just stinks that it has to be this way sometimes.

Hang in there hon...5 months is DAYS away...you're doing so well. The second you put her on the plane, start planning the welcome home party to keep yourself busy Wink

Lynn

"There are those who think they can and those who think they can't and they are both right." Henry Ford
Mindy

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 9, 2004 10:54 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone,
Yes I did mention in an earlier post that my daughter wanted to cut her visit down from 4 weeks to 2 weeks and her dad said no. I'm in the process of speaking to my lawyer about all of that now so hopefully we'll figure something out.
This is my child...one of my babies and I am concerned for her safety as any mother would be. I am sorry if I can't see things a little differently. I guess you'd have to be put in this situation to completely understand. I do value your opinions though!
LadyHouck

Quit Date:
January 4, 2004

PostPosted: June 9, 2004 10:30 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindy,

I too have a daughter who will be 9 in July. I am very protective of both of my children too. Fortunately my daughter's dad lives here in town, but I still worry the whole time she is there for her 30 day visit. So I can understand fully how you are feeling.

As mentioned before, chances are very good that nothing bad will happen during her flight there and back, but I would worry too. It is a mother thing I guess. If my daughter wanted to go and her dad wanted to see her though, I would let her go. So many dad's could care less and never see their children.

Hugs to you!
Tonya
5M

Tonya
3+ years!

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.

Erma Bombeck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > stories, essays, rambles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: