quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I'm sorry for all the questions lol..... Cigars?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moose200x

Quit Date:
May 11, 2009

PostPosted: May 29, 2007 4:13 PM    Post subject: I'm sorry for all the questions lol..... Cigars? Reply with quote

In a few weeks after i quit, will i be able to smoke cigars at my weekly poker game? or will that cause me to want a cig too much?
nichole

Quit Date:
April 14, 2007

PostPosted: May 29, 2007 4:35 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Questions are always welcome! My hubby decided to try an occasional cigar after he quit last year. The "junkie" thought he could have one occasionally... It got him right back to a pack of cigs a day. I don't know about everyone else's experiences, but I'd steer clear if I were you.

~nichole
jahunta

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 29, 2007 4:36 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to your question, I submit this from the Cigar Diary. As always, the choice is yours and yours alone:
Quote:

"Cigar smoking can cause oral, esophageal, laryngeal, and lung cancers. Regular cigar smokers who inhale, particularly those who smoke several cigars per day, have an increased risk of coronary heart disease and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

Regular cigar smokers have risks of oral and esophageal cancers similar to those of cigarette smokers, but they have lower risks of lung and laryngeal cancer, coronary artery disease, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

We believe an accurate statement is that the risks of tobacco smoke exposure are similar for all sources of tobacco smoke, and the magnitude of the risks experienced by cigar smokers is proportionate to the nature and intensity of their exposure."

Quitting is Living!!!
QD: 2/15/04
moose200x

Quit Date:
May 11, 2009

PostPosted: May 29, 2007 5:04 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would only smoke one cigar over a 4hr period. Hmmmm is their nictone in cigars?
Doggygirl

Quit Date:
February 26, 2007

PostPosted: May 29, 2007 5:29 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please take a hard look at this cigar question. Ask yourself if this isn't your subconscious (demon if you will) proposing alternative ways to get a fix. (that's what I think is going on)

Cigars cause health problems too - don't kid yourself. Tobacco contains nicotine. Here is a site I found just now with a simple google search that might help you:

http://www.smokehelp.org/html/safe_tobacco.html#One

Please don't take the bait. It might take getting through rough spots, but you CAN and eventually WILL be able to enjoy a good poker night without smoking anything.

Even though I'm a "girl" I have smoked cigars many times, and enjoyed it. I know the difference between good American Cigars and good Cuban Cigars. I would NOT risk my quit by putting a lit (or unlit) cigar in my mouth if you paid me $100 to do it. I KNOW I would loose my quit. I won't smoke fake (i.e. clove) cigarettes either, even without tobacco.

Cigars are no healthier than cigarettes (or less addictive I don't think) and they are IMO particularly dangerous as an "attractive (to Laughing Demon ) alternative" to cigarettes.

Sorry to go on and on with 2 cents PLUS a giant bag of chips. Your subconscious is going to be VEREE busy coming up with alternative ways to get a fix.

Beth
Day 92

Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same. ~Francesca Reigler
moose200x

Quit Date:
May 11, 2009

PostPosted: May 29, 2007 5:45 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

i honestly not trying to find a sub fix. just something i do at the poker game. I never know cigars had nictone lol..... oh well, not that big of a loss.
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 29, 2007 9:42 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Moose!

Sorry, little late here. Any type of tobacco product will have nicotine...ie cigarette, cigars, chew, and pipes. Just different methods of delivery. Wink So, when quitting, it's an all or nothing type of proposition. Yeah, bummer, but the law of addiction kicks in when ever we partake of any form of the stuff. We're junkies....it's a hard fact to face...it just recent really soaked into my think lately...but it's true. We can't take a puff or it's back to a pack a day. Not a fun fact, but a true one.

Here's the article from whyquit on the Law of Addiction....

Hugs and Keep Going! Wink Very Happy

The Law of Addiction

"Administration of a drug to an addict will cause reestablishment
of chemical dependence upon the addictive substance."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Smokers are often furious with me because they believe I caused them to go back to smoking. Why do they think this? Well, I have this nasty habit of making a really big deal any time a clinic participant takes one puff or maybe just a few cigarettes. The smoker feels I am so persuasive in my arguments that he has no choice but to have a full-fledged relapse. In his opinion, I forced him back to the lifetime dependency which will impair his health and may eventually cost him his life. He is convinced that if I had not made such a major issue out of the incident, he would just have smoked that one time and would never have done it again. How can I sleep each night knowing what I have done?

I sleep quite well, thank you. For, you see, I am not responsible for these people's relapses to cigarettes. They can take full credit for becoming smokers again. They relapsed because they broke the one major law of nicotine addiction - they took a puff. This is not my law. I am not setting myself up to be judge, jury, and executioner. The law of physiological addiction states that administration of a drug to an addict will cause reestablishment of the dependence on that substance. I didn't write that law. I don't execute that law. My job is much simpler than that. All I do is interpret the law. This means, by taking a puff, the smoker either goes back to full-fledged smoking or goes through the withdrawal process associated with quitting. Most don't opt for the withdrawal.

Every clinic has a number of participants who have quit in the past for one year or longer. In fact, I had one clinic participant who had stopped for a period of 24 years before he relapsed. He never heard that such a law existed, that even after 24 years, the ex-smoker is not totally freed from his imprisonment of addiction. He didn't understand that the day he tossed his "last" cigarette, he was placed "on probation" for the rest of his life. But ignorance of the law is not excusable - not the way the laws of a physiological nature are written. By the American standards of justice, this seems to be cruel and unusual punishment. But this is the way things are.

Maybe instead of going to a smoking clinic, a recently relapsed person should contact his attorney to plead his case of why he should be able to have an occasional cigarette when he desires. Maybe he can cheat just once, get a sympathetic jury, be judged innocent, and walk out of the courtroom a free and independent person. Surely, in pleading his case before twelve impartial people, he will probably have no problem convincing them that he is innocent of any wrongdoing. And, as he happily walks out of court a free and independent person, he will probably have an uncontrollable urge and then light a cigarette.

Don't look for loopholes in the law of addiction. You will be convicting yourself back to smoking. While it may seem harsh and unfair, to many, smoking is a crime punishable by death. Don't try to cheat the system - NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

Joel

© Joel Spitzer 1988, 2003
Page last updated by Joel Spitzer on August 23, 2003

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: May 30, 2007 4:57 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

all tobacco has nicotine - I'd say - stay away...I considered a cigar a time of two and figured that I've been off nicotine too long to even want to think about testing the theory - not me....no cigars, no pipes, no nothing with smoke - not even chewing tobacco or snuff....nicotine in all of them....no patches, no gum..no nicotine - I'm an addict....and I've been free for 1079 days...I choose freedom!

and remember...old Laughing Demon will keep tempting you and get you thinking...just one....don't let him trip you!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 30, 2007 8:08 AM    Post subject: Re: I'm sorry for all the questions lol..... Cigars? Reply with quote

moose200x wrote:
In a few weeks after i quit, will i be able to smoke cigars at my weekly poker game?

No.

moose200x wrote:
or will that cause me to want a cig too much?

Same thing.

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 30, 2007 8:44 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

think back a few days, moose - you decided to quit and then caved in a short time later - that wasn't because you're weak, or lack will power, or anything like that; it's because nicotine is the most highly addictive drug on the planet, and you're addicted to it. it's that simple.

and tobacco, in any form, contains nicotine. the only reason most people burn tobacco* (or chew it) is to feed their addiction to nicotine. if you smoke a cigar, you're feeding your addiction to nicotine, and will almost certainly start smoking cigarettes again.

the thing about addiction is, once you're an addict, you've only got two choices: feed the addiction, or starve it. there's no middle ground: you cant feed it "occasionally" or in a different form, because feeding it is feeding it.

* (excepting the traditional native american ceremonial usage, where it's considered sacrilegious to actually inhale the smoke.)

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
UCanQuit

Quit Date:
July 7, 2004

PostPosted: May 30, 2007 10:13 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even when you don't inhale the smoke, such as puffing a cigar or a native american traditional ceremony peace pipe.

Nicotine still gets into your bloodstream through the mucus membrane.

There are no loopholes in the law of addiction. You can't trick it, fool it or rewrite it.

You can only obey it.

Eric

The factor that really shows the addiction is not how hard or how easy it is to quit. What really shows the addiction is how universally easy it is to go back. One puff and the quit can go out the window.
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: May 30, 2007 9:58 PM    Post subject: Re: I'm sorry for all the questions lol..... Cigars? Reply with quote

moose200x wrote:
In a few weeks after i quit, will i be able to smoke cigars at my weekly poker game? or will that cause me to want a cig too much?

Well if you lost last time in poker do you plan to loose again as that is the norm. Question Question Smoking is not an option, IF you want to Quit. The choice is YOURS not ours. You already knew the answer before you asked it. Quit means Quit

I'm a NON-SMOKER thanks to everyone here
moose200x

Quit Date:
May 11, 2009

PostPosted: July 1, 2016 10:34 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was an f'ing junkie. Wow. I was totally lying in the post, I havent had a weekly poker game in my life!

Quit attempt #2!
moose200x

Quit Date:
May 11, 2009

PostPosted: July 1, 2016 10:42 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nailed it!!

Doggygirl wrote:
Please take a hard look at this cigar question. Ask yourself if this isn't your subconscious (demon if you will) proposing alternative ways to get a fix. (that's what I think is going on)

Cigars cause health problems too - don't kid yourself. Tobacco contains nicotine. Here is a site I found just now with a simple google search that might help you:

http://www.smokehelp.org/html/safe_tobacco.html#One

Please don't take the bait. It might take getting through rough spots, but you CAN and eventually WILL be able to enjoy a good poker night without smoking anything.

Even though I'm a "girl" I have smoked cigars many times, and enjoyed it. I know the difference between good American Cigars and good Cuban Cigars. I would NOT risk my quit by putting a lit (or unlit) cigar in my mouth if you paid me $100 to do it. I KNOW I would loose my quit. I won't smoke fake (i.e. clove) cigarettes either, even without tobacco.

Cigars are no healthier than cigarettes (or less addictive I don't think) and they are IMO particularly dangerous as an "attractive (to Laughing Demon ) alternative" to cigarettes.

Sorry to go on and on with 2 cents PLUS a giant bag of chips. Your subconscious is going to be VEREE busy coming up with alternative ways to get a fix.

Beth
Day 92

Quit attempt #2!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: