quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Irritated

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nichole

Quit Date:
April 14, 2007

PostPosted: July 2, 2007 3:24 PM    Post subject: Irritated Reply with quote

I need to vent...

I am irritated! For no particular reason... just irritated! I have been feeling so solid in my quit lately. I've been around smokers with no problems. I see people smoking and it looks and smells disgusting. I have felt like I really am a non-smoker. Until a couple days ago...

I am off work for 6 days (YAY )... on the way home from my last night of work I was so excited to be off for a stretch and it's 4th of July week! Cool! I can't wait to celebrate. Then, I got this overwhelming heavy feeling becuase I realized I can't "celebrate" like I used to... with a cig. Duh Rolling Eyes

I don't want to smoke. I don't want to go back to that and I know that if I did smoke (which I won't)... it would be gross and disgusting and probably make me sick. So, why can't I shake the irritated feeling I've been having for the last 2 days? I feel like I'm ruining my time off by thinking about this and that just ticks me off....

Anyway, thanks for listening (or reading, I guess...lol) There's noone in my 3D life that would really understand...

~nichole
Zuzu

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 2, 2007 4:38 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicole-

I totally remember that feeling - I used to celebrate (and lament, and be stressed, and happy and sad etc etc etc) with a cigarette - and when I stopped smoking I felt like there would never really be "celebrating" or "relaxing" again - and I was never going to as fun of a person to boot.

It was hard to hear it right in the moment, but it was the addiction talking. You just have to practice celebrating without smoking and you have to practice being joyful and having fun without smoking - each time you practice, you get better at it.

It's a great idea to replace some activities... okay.. so you used to kick off a vacation by "relaxing" with a cigarette - how about relaxing with a hot tub, a massage, a pedicure...? Go for a long walk or take a bike ride?

You're still fun, you can still have fun (more fun even - and you can smell AND smell good to boot!) and life is very joyful if you tilt your head a little to the left and look at it a bit differently now! You're doing an awesome job!

-Zuzu
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 2, 2007 4:52 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

zuzu's right, of course; you have to practice feeling normal again without cigarettes. it might help to think back to when you were a kid: how did you feel when you were a kid and it was almost the 4th of july? Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
texas2step

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 2, 2007 4:53 PM    Post subject: what zuzu said..... Reply with quote

Exactly what zuzu said.... and more..... the mood swings and grumpy feeling are something you can replace with happiness - but just like not smoking you have to WANT TO. Then you have to just do it. Be happy. You can do anything not smoking that you did when you smoked - trust me on this you will even have both hands to do it with -Wink

I celebrated my quit every Sunday night until about three weeks ago when I hit 10 months and now I just continue to celebrate my small victory each day. I think the celebrating really helped me and still does. If you will remember how horrible smoking was, you won't ever think you're being denied anything good. Smoking sucked, just what did it ever do to make you happy or make you have more fun or help you do anything? Never....

not smoking is WONDERFUL, I love not smoking. I have noth hands free to pet all three of my doggies, to do all kinds of things that I used to do with one hand tied to a cigarette - ALWAYS.... ugh

Each time your brain says grumpy say just what the hell do you have to be grumpy about brain? Get with it. Not smoking is awesome.....

Texas

"You can't always have happiness, but you can always give happiness."
Anonymous

Quit: 8/14/06
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 2, 2007 7:22 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Nicole....

Hang tough Girl! I know the feeling you are talking about all too well. You're cruising along just fine...quit is going great...and then, WHAM...it hits the fan. Those ugh feelings show up on your doorstep, pushing in and demanding to be noticed, and just won't shut up despite everything you try. Frustrating, irrating...is putting it nicely. And then all that starts to eat away..and the bad mood shows up next Rolling Eyes It sucks!

I really believe it's the junkie being scared. We are getting along fine with the quit, and the junkie realizes that...hey, she's doing it....really doing it...I might never get another fix Rolling Eyes and decides to try and bully you back into smoking by sending out this "stuff" and flood of negative thoughts along with the uneasy feelings. Kinda like it's last ditch effort to get ya back hooked.

So, the question is how to get past the jerk! Mad Ok, you're not going to smoke. You've made that decision. But he doesn't want to let go....so he keeps hounding and nagging about it. Like everyone said...it's a decision. But you say...I've already made the decision. Yes, you have. But you just have to keep standing that ground and stomp that foot, and tell it to get....and give out those reason why you are quit....and then bring the truth to his face of the nasty addiction and what it really does, and finally, make the conscience effort to get involved in whatever you are doing at the moment...totally immerse yourself in the activity you are doing. Relaxing...immerse yourself in the wonder around you...think on good things...and just let go of anything from the smoking past. It's more of a releasing procedure/process to me...to just let go, and live the moment.

And if all else fails....just wait...it will pass with time....it does NOT last forever. Wink

Hang tight, Nicole!

Love and Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: July 3, 2007 12:31 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

...hmmmm...that sure sounds like "junkie thinking" to me...the "first" for everything will probably have smoking memories intertwined with the celebrations and automatic reactions. The first year you'll encounter smoking rememberances as the seasons change, first time doing taxes or paying bills and not smoking, first time driving in a snow storm and not smoking. Smoking was just part of what we did everyday - and now its not - and we need to take time to build new patterns and create new memories. Celebrating the milestones as we put more time between the present and the last cigarette will disconnect the normal processes of everyday life from the habit and process of smoking.

You are in control - take it one day at a time and tell old Laughing Demon to leave you alone...

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
nichole

Quit Date:
April 14, 2007

PostPosted: July 3, 2007 8:22 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement. I knew I could count on you to get my head properly screwed back on my body Wink As always, you all are right. I need to practice celebrating without smoking. So, in the spirit of being a good listener, I took my family out to the beach today! We had a great time splashing around in the water and the thought of a cig never even crossed my mind. Very Happy

Oh, BTW Kevin, I was thinking about how I celebrated when I was a kid... We all ran around the neighborhood with sparklers while our Dads shot off fireworks in the middle of the street. Well, fireworks are now outlawed here (high fire area), so I went out and got some of those confetti popper thingies... That'll have to do Wink Wink

Happy 4th everyone... I know I'll be celebrating my "independence" in more ways than one!!

~nichole
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 3, 2007 11:34 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Patty129

Quit Date:
February 18, 2007

PostPosted: July 4, 2007 9:17 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nichole....and I loved what you said about celebrating our "Independence"..... I hadn't thought of it as our own personal freedom from cigarettes day, but you are so right.....this is a double independence day for all of us....and have fun with your "poppers."

Also, as everyone else has said, the feelings you are experiencing (or were) are quite common.....I struggled with the "blues" right around my three month anniversary and it took a few weeks to overcome....but I'm feeling fine again.....I keep telling myself if this stuff didn't get better there would be no ex-smokers....but it does and it will.....have a wonderful holiday.

Patty
pinkpearl

Quit Date:
June 30, 2007

PostPosted: July 7, 2007 1:03 PM    Post subject: Re: Irritated Reply with quote

nichole wrote:
I need to vent...

I am irritated! For no particular reason... just irritated! I have been feeling so solid in my quit lately. I've been around smokers with no problems. I see people smoking and it looks and smells disgusting. I have felt like I really am a non-smoker. Until a couple days ago...

I am off work for 6 days (YAY )... on the way home from my last night of work I was so excited to be off for a stretch and it's 4th of July week! Cool! I can't wait to celebrate. Then, I got this overwhelming heavy feeling becuase I realized I can't "celebrate" like I used to... with a cig. Duh Rolling Eyes

I don't want to smoke. I don't want to go back to that and I know that if I did smoke (which I won't)... it would be gross and disgusting and probably make me sick. So, why can't I shake the irritated feeling I've been having for the last 2 days? I feel like I'm ruining my time off by thinking about this and that just ticks me off....

Anyway, thanks for listening (or reading, I guess...lol) There's noone in my 3D life that would really understand...

I get those "pissed off" feelings too. You are not alone!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: