quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Moose's crazy experiment :)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > taking action
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 30, 2007 2:54 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moose, you say you have your own personal reasons to quit again. That's great and it really is good. And I do honestly hope you succeed!!

But in reality, the addiction wants fed and you fed it. You can rationalize all you want about an experiment...but it is truly just an excuse for the addiction to get a fix..and a mighty big one I might add. You have fooled your ownself into thinking this is an experiment. We all know better. You can't pull the wool over our eyes.

Let me tell you exactly what is going to happen. You smoked, thinking I'll quit tomorrow and go back to quit. Yeah...that's exactly how the whole lie starts. I know dude, ask anyone who's been here for over a year. See the number of my posts. You think that happens over night. But, I'm only 4 months quit...why..because of lies and excuses I've told myself to feed the addiction and relapsing. Just wait! In just a few days, you will be thinking about it and it will be oh too easy to go light another cigarette or cigar, with another type excuse of some kind. No the addiction doesn't just zap you back sometimes. You get under this big illusion you can handle it. More lies to tell yourself so you can feed the fix. And each time it's a choice made to smoke. And it grows and becomes stronger and finally over powers you. That is what I'm talking about....Been There...Done That! Sorry, if this is insensitive...but it's all a smokescreen of an excuse to me.

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
moose200x

Quit Date:
May 11, 2009

PostPosted: July 30, 2007 5:29 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

i <3 you guys........ your all crazy!!!!!!!!!!!

Quit attempt #2!
Rusty

Quit Date:
December 13, 2004

PostPosted: July 30, 2007 10:00 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

moose, I think you have a really good heart in that chest of yours. It would be helpful to me if you would just simply explain your rationale...what were your reasons for doing this and what is your plan?

Rusty

The Buddha says: Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.
moose200x

Quit Date:
May 11, 2009

PostPosted: July 30, 2007 11:10 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me try to rehash the days before my great experiment Smile

My friends and I were discussing smoking. The topic was about how much does a ex-smoker have to smoke to become fully readdicted. Out of the 6 or so folks there we got two answers. Answer A) 1 cig answer B)When you smoke as much as you did pre-quit.

I disagreed w/ everyone. IMO to become fully readdicted you need to smoke over a period of time. Something like 3-7 days. EVERYONE said I was wrong, that you become readdicted so very easily that after just one day of smoking you'd be rehooked. The converstaion got heated. Bets were being made. I, being the stupid S-O-B i am, took the bet. The bet states that I smoke 40 cigs within 10 hours. If i cave in and smoke agian, i win nothing, but lose nothing. If I stay smoke free I win 10% of the total pool.

I really didnt wanna come onto woofmang talking bout gambling with nicotine. I knew everyone would hate me for this.

And another thing, im so shocked to here all the replys. I cant believe so many people say stuff like "Whether you smoke 1 or 40, the cravings are the same" when it doesnt really make sense. I've had a few light cravings but none after the first day. I AM NOT SAYING EVERYONE WILL BE ABLE TO SMOKE 2 PACKS OF CIGS AND NOT RELAPSE. what i am saying is its not always the nicotine that makes people relapse. I never smoked cigs becuase of the nicotine, i smoked em cuz i was bored. It gave me something to do, a way to deal with pain and uneasy emotions.

Did that make any sense to anyone?

Quit attempt #2!
Carla

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 31, 2007 9:27 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the goal of most people here is to quit smoking forever what difference does it make
moose200x wrote:
how much does a ex-smoker have to smoke to become fully readdicted
?

Carla
Quit Date: January 4, 2004
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 31, 2007 9:34 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moose,

Actually, you proved their point!! After one cigarette, the addiction is reestablished....and Dude, your opinion lost!!!

Know how...withdraw symptoms are the basis of addiction. When you had that FIRST crave...that was withdraw and it proved right then and there the addiction had took hold. It doesn't matter if you stay free (which by the way...DO stay free!!!) to prove the addiction. It's not a matter of staying quit. It's the fact that once nicotine is administered into the system, it takes withdraw (no matter how miminal) to break free from it's hooks...that or re-feed it and stay hooked. So, Dude, your opinion on addiction is wrong....and you, my friend, proved it yourself....

You had withdraw!!! You lost the bet!! You can't gamble and win with the law of addiction! Remember that!!

Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 31, 2007 10:42 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moose,

After I've thought about it....you are confusing aspects of the addiction.

An addiction has 5 characteristics:

1..Tolerance: the wanting or needing more of the addictive substance or behaviour in order to feel satisfied.

2..Withdrawal Symptoms: symptoms experienced when the addiction action is curtailed.

3..Self-Deception: this is one of the biggest marks of being addicted. The power of the mind to create scenerios and excuses in order to continue the addictive behaviour or action.

4..Loss of Willpower: The fact that one is forced to continue in an action...the continual feeding of the fix.

5..Distortion of Attention: the mind's ability to hide the addiction from ourselves, and the fact that the addiction forces attention on it's need instead of other needs that. For example, ...the doing whatever to have a fix...regardless of other things that maybe more important or pressing at the time.

Moose, you are assuming different tolerance levels is the basis for the addiction...it is not. Tolerance levels vary person to person and the tolernace level will peak and level off at different levels in each person.

So, the basis of 5 cigarettes or 2 packs is a variable in the addiction...it does not prove the addiction itself. Tolerance is the bodies need that builds to achieve the same initial effect. And with smoking that increases over time.

And dude...you definitely have the self-deception one going on. You said...you only smoked when bored etc....well, when you first came here...you were saying how you couldn't go to a poker game without smoking, etc. You acted like it was the end of life itself if you couldn't smoke while playing poker with the guys. So, don't tell me you only smoked when bored, etc! Wink

Moose, the fact is you are an addict!!!! You need to come to grips with that fact. No, it's not something anyone really wants to admit to. It's hard to think of yourself as one. But we are and you are. Just because it's not illegal or unacceptable you believe it's not an addiction or you are hooked.

Dude...you are so hooked you don't even realize it!! Moose, you need to do some reading at whyquit.com on addiction and admit it to yourself. Because until you do, the mind games will continue and you will keep fooling yourself, and the addiction will still..down the road gets it's fix!

Hugs

ps note: some info is taken from book "Addiction and Grace" by Gerald G May MD and is in part paraphrase on the characteristics by me
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: July 31, 2007 12:23 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

moose200x wrote:
wow, seriously, ouch. Not a single person took me on my word? I understand alot of the people on this board battle nico-demon all the time, and alot of people are tricked back into smoking. but thats not me. I have my own personal reason as to why I wanna beat smoking, agian.

I feel almost angry that someone would say this is an excuse or some other plot for myself to smoke agian. its not.

Get real. Sorry you are a smoker until you Quit. Quitting isn't a game it's a choice. Quit means Quit it is not until I finish my experiment. Your conclusions are based on an addiction that is stronger than you at this time so.Don't be angry with us by the way be angry at the addiction it has you by the short and curly's. Sorry to be blunt.

I'm a NON-SMOKER thanks to everyone here
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > taking action All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: