quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Please Help Me! Gaining way too much weight!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 6, 2007 1:02 AM    Post subject: Please Help Me! Gaining way too much weight! Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

In my whole Life I never thought I would need to make a post like this. I have always been small boned, and weighed little. Always fighting to keep weight on, not off! (Except when I was in my 20's, but that is so long ago I don't even remember it. And anyway, what I did then to lose does not work now!)

WHY DIDN'T I GAIN WEIGHT WHEN I FIRST QUIT SMOKING? Why now??? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Laughing Demon

Is this weight gain from the Quit? Does anyone know? Confused Shocked

I am so hungry all the time!! This cannot be normal to be so ravenous all the time! So naturally I am gaining just from eating too much! But I do not know how to stop.

Weight Watchers would not let me join!! Mad Mad And I am really annoyed with them!! Partly it is also a "body fat" problem. Mine was perfectly normal only a few months ago, but no longer. I don't need a machine to tell me this.....just look at the fat on my abdomen, the roll around my waist, and the fat on my butt! Sad

Weight Watchers only goes by your height and weight, however, not your bone structure or body mass. So on their scale I'm not big heavy enough yet to qualify! Bah! Should I wait until I am a blimp to lose this??!! Mad Already I cannot wear a single thing I own....not 1 pair of shorts or jeans or skirts!! And I mean I cannot no way no how even get into them, muchless get the zippers up!

I am not allowed to exercise...very, very little! I can do only a few simple back exercises and that's it. I cannot walk even 5 minutes on the treadmill yet, and don't know when I will. No water aerobics or any type cardio yet!! My back cannot take the strain. I am still getting Epidural Injections and going to Physical therapy, but my back and muscles supplied by nerves from the back are not strong enough for anything but the few simple back exercises I do. THERFORE, I HAVE TO STOP ALL THIS EATING!!

I am also wondering if there could be a medical reason for this, but I am a little afraid to go to the doc. But does anyone know if it could be Thyroid? I have mine tested every year because I have what's called Goiter....non-malignant tumor, but they have to check it all the time to be sure it does not become cancer. However, I don't think it affects one's weight. This seems to be a "hunger" problem I have! I NEVER FEEL FULL!

So I also wonder could it be diabetes? Or even a tapeworm? And I am quite serious because we had all this sewage water on the sidewalks from the storms....which could have had goodness knows what. That may sounds paranoid, but my dog was very, very sick from it. No parasites for him, just an infection. Is there anything else that can cause unreasonable hunger? Or do I have some kind of mental problem? Nothing special has happened, no changes in my Life, that seem that disturbing, but who knows?

Maybe I just have to starve myself for a while, but the problem is I can't seem to do it. And the more fruits and veggies I eat the hungrier I get. In fact even meat isn't all that satisfying, but helps a lot more. Carbs, of course, help the most, and sugar even more!....but those are the things I do NOT WANT to eat. Actually, I think I am craving carbs and protein more than anything else, even sugar.

I would appreciate any ideas anyone has, no matter what they are!! If you have any ideas, or suggestions at all, I would like to know. And I am not sensitive, so you can phrase it any way you want! Laughing Wink

Having to stay on my Migraine diet doesn't help, but I've been on it for 20 years with no problem, so it can't be that. I do feel like something is missing in my food, or in my nutrition, but when I take Vitamins? Oh, boy, I just really get hungry then!

Thanks again!

P.S I see this turned into a Rant.....sorry about that.....I FEEL like ranting.....and maybe crying, too! Gee, do you think it was because I changed my hair from red to blonde? Laughing Hey, I can answer that question now: do blondes have more fun? No, they do not! They just get fat.....apologies to other blondes here! Wink

Seriously, am I missing something?

Forgot to say, I am even "puffy," like the dough boy. Ugh! Crying or Very sad

Margaret
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: September 6, 2007 5:54 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt this is from the quit. If you are puffy you are retaining water. Start at the Dr. It might be one of your meds causing it.

I'm a NON-SMOKER thanks to everyone here
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: September 6, 2007 8:57 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melody's right, Margaret. It could be one of the medicines. Are you taking any steroids? They really cause bloating and puffiness.

As to being blond, our beautiful 21 year old naturally blond granddaughter has died her hair brunette. She says blonds don't have more fun -- just get ridiculed about being the "dumb blonde."

Anyway, do talk to your doctor about this weight gain.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
swaneem

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 6, 2007 9:31 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Margaret,

If you stop eating...as you suggested.....your body will go into "starvation mode" and start storing fat. It's always best to eat small healthy bits every 3 hours so the metabolism keeps working.

You used to work out at the gym so often.....aren't there some things that can be done....like the bike etc? I'll bet the lack of exercise...probably not the eating....has contributed to the problem you say you have.

You'll lose it....I'm sure.....as a dancer your body has always been fit and I believe it has that "memory". Very Happy

Donna

Just when the caterpillar thought his world was
coming to an end..........God made him a
BUTTERFLY.
Marigrrl

Quit Date:
December 1, 2010

PostPosted: September 9, 2007 1:04 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe its like what the others have said.. a side effect in your medication that makes you crave sugars. I know my mom used to take a medication that made her crave food and sweets more, and the dr even asked if she had been eating more, b/c it makes your appetite increase.

The lack of exercise probably doesn't help either, but I wouldn't stress out about it!! Muscles have memory and once you are able to exercise you will get back into shape. Maybe try to eat more whole grains, and thinks that are more filling...like whole wheat bread & peanut butter as a snack...or nuts, and fruits and veggies are always good. Pick low fat meats! I think if you can't exercise just try to cut out the excess fats & sugars...try whole wheat pasta with a nice tomato/veggie sauce and some chicken... snack on fruits and nuts or trail mix, and try to stay away from processed foods & sugars.

One of my fave cereals is Kashi cereal that has a good mix of protein & carbs, I have that with soy milk, and its the only cereal that has actually held me over till noon!!

I hope that helps!! Don't worry!!

hugs

Follow Your Bliss
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 9, 2007 9:26 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much Melody, Jo, Donna, and Mariko! I appreciate your concern and helpful info. Very Happy

Melody, I didn't know puffy was water retention! That does seem to make sense. I will go to the doc. I am taking notes here on what to ask him, also.

Jo, about steroids. The Epidural Injections I take are steroids, but I thought it was specific to the back, and did not go into the rest of the body....at least not until later and very diffused by then. THey did not make me hungry before, but I can ask the doc who does this if he is using anything different. The reason I chose the shots over the oral steroids was partly because I knew there would be a weight gain with the oral steroids. As things are, I'm not sure how much these back shots have helped. I am really running the edge here, close to having to have back surgery.....I have one more shot this week and that's it.

Donna, my exercise has been limited to very gentle exercise for the back and supervised by Physical therapist. My back is in very bad shape. I am not supposed to do anything at all that is weight bearing or lifting, and no cardio. I would be allowed to do cardio, except that only 5 minutes of walking causes my foot to go numb and I have been told that I MUST STOP when the foot goes numb to prevent further damage. No water aerobics or bicycle until I have more strength.

My back even looks strange without my clothes. THe cocyx area bows out a lot. I am also shorter now. These disks have very little water content left, and seem to be slipping all in the lumbar area. And when they saw on a nerve, the pain is bad and I lose use of that part of the body. I am hoping to get the swelling down with the shots and gradually strengthen the back until I can do regular exercise again.

Thanks, Mariko! That is very good advice and I will try to do it! Very Happy

Margaret
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 14, 2007 10:08 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret....

I agree with Donna...you must continue to eat at least every 3 hours so the starvation mode won't kick in. Also breakfast within an hour of waking. Now, this doesn't mean pig out at these meals or snacks. Wink Laughing Laughing Everything in moderation.

Do check with doc about the meds. It could just be the problem, especially since you haven't ever had a problem like this before. Now I could understand a weight problem during menopause...but you are past that stage....so logic seems to point to the meds.

Chin up! I know it's frustrating not fitting into your clothes. Try some sweat pants for the temporary fix. No, they aren't classy or stylish, but comfortable for hanging around the house and won't irrate the bloated feeling. Also maybe a loose free flowing dress for outings out and about. That and a pair of stylish flats to compliment the dress. And Margaret...I know how you like to shop....so this would be right up your alley...say, an excuse to splurg a little on yourself! Wink Very Happy

Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
Simone

Quit Date:
April 28, 2005

PostPosted: October 5, 2007 2:04 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret .....

Steroids are notorious for weight gain I know from experience get your Dr to tweek your meds hopefully fingers crossed the weight will slowly decrease also try a good protein shake it's helped me as I also had the "mystery weight gain'' I suggest a whey isolate but check with your Dr.

I feel for you as I know how downright miserable it is not fitting in your clothes. Chin up lovely.I'm sure all will work out soon Smile

*HUGS*

PS

I have the 'Isolate' as it does not give me a gut ache as does the concentrate.

http://www.proteindirect.com.au/index.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: