quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Our character despite circumstances

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > inspirations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 12, 2007 2:38 PM    Post subject: Our character despite circumstances Reply with quote

This devotion speaks about character despite the circumstances....and our self-worth despite those circumstances. It spoke volumes to me....

We can control our responses and our own character...things of life, not so much maybe...but ourselves, yes! And this is where we decide to stay quit, regardless of what is going on, comes into play....it's something we control by choice! Wink

Daily in Christ 11/9
http://www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist/

by Neil Anderson

November 9

BECOMING THE PERSON GOD WANTS

2 Corinthians 3:18
But we all . . . are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit

When you begin to align your goals with God's goals and your desires with God's desires, you will rid your life of a lot of anger, anxiety and depression. The homemaker who wants a happy, harmonious family is expressing a godly desire, but she cannot guarantee that it will happen. So she'd better not base her identity and sense of worth on it or she will be a basket case of anger or resentment toward her sometimes less-than-harmonious family.

Instead she could decide, "I'm going to be the wife and mother God wants me to be." That's a great goal! Is it impossible or uncertain? No, because it's also God's goal for her and nothing is impossible with God. Who can block her goal? She's the only one who can. As long as she cooperates with God's goal for her, her success is assured.

"But what if my husband has a mid-life crisis or my kids rebel?" she may object. Problems like that aren't blocking her goal of being the wife and mother God wants her to be, but they will put her goal to a serious test. If her husband ever needs a godly wife, and if her children ever need a godly mother, it's in times of trouble. Family difficulties are merely new opportunities for her to fulfill her goal of being the woman God wants her to be.

The pastor whose worth is based on his goal to win his community for Christ, have the best youth ministry in town, or increase giving to missions by 50 percent is headed for a fall. These are worthwhile desires, but they are poor goals by which to determine his worth because they can be blocked by people or circumstances. Rather he could say, "I'm going to be the pastor God wants me to be." That's a great goal because nothing can block him from achieving it.

God's basic goal for your life is character development: becoming the person God wants you to be. Because it's a godly goal, no one can block it except you.

Prayer:

Lord, I want to be the person You called me to be today. Thank You that by Your grace I can be that person.

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: November 12, 2007 2:45 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Deb. I went to the inspirational link you included. It looks extremely interesting.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: November 12, 2007 3:21 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Deb, I feel I have been through most of the crisis that were listed Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
machias

Quit Date:
September 17, 2007

PostPosted: November 12, 2007 5:03 PM    Post subject: character despite the circumstances Reply with quote

I agree with you, Deb-I think that it doesn't matter what you have in things or wealth but your character is what is important.
It is how you relate to others and your ability to empathize with your fellow man (woman)- and it is unimportant if that comes from within or from a belief in a higher power or a Christ figure, a medicine man or Mohammad.

Help save the animals of Planet Earth--please do not BUY, SELL or WEAR Polyester. The little pink and yellow Polyesters are now on the endangered list. The little purple ones with the elastic around their waist are on the threatened list. Thanks!!
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: November 21, 2007 1:37 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi Deb,

For those who have no family like me may have to find something else that God wants us to be. I would truely hope though that my purpose from God is to make a difference in others lives using my experiences. And to be honest it is the anger, anxiety, and depression that drives me to to do that. So far nothing major has changed but who knows?

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 22, 2007 6:28 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barb,

It matters not whether we are in a family or single...God has a purpose for each one of us. And He does use those experiences of our lives to help others. For He says in the ways He comforts us, we are to comfort others.

Right where you are, the people you know and interact with....those are the lives you touch. God never promised easy street...but He does promise to see us through. Wink

Hugs!

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > inspirations All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: