quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

OK CAN I ASK PLEASE ANY ADVICE FOR US QUITTERS TO KEEP GOING

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rbns567

Quit Date:
May 18, 2004

PostPosted: June 15, 2004 11:43 AM    Post subject: OK CAN I ASK PLEASE ANY ADVICE FOR US QUITTERS TO KEEP GOING Reply with quote

Hi again just a small question when the initial few weeks have gone has anyone any advice to keep our quits strong...from those who have been free for a long time.. Very Happy Ros

previously rosspink
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 15, 2004 1:05 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Kevin would suggest....just stay quit for today...tomorrow will take care of itself!

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: June 15, 2004 1:36 PM    Post subject: Hi Ros Reply with quote

You asked how to keep a quit going after the first few weeks. I'm at a little over 2 months and, believe me, it does get easier. I still get urges and craves but they're neither as strong nor as long as they were in the beginning.

Therefore, I think it becomes easier to maintain a quit as time passes. I'm certain this is an individual thing, though. Everyone reacts differently to life situations.

The most important thing, in my opinion, is that you're doing this for YOU! You're the most important person in this equation. Just stick with FFS and woofmang. We're all going to get through this together.

Living free for 2M, 4D, 16H, 5M and loving it.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
bigdaddyscds

Quit Date:
May 13, 2004

PostPosted: June 15, 2004 3:05 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ros!
I agree with Pam. I'm no long timer but I found whenever I look at quitting forever is when it still becomes overwhelming. Just typing it freaks me out. However, looking at the next day or even week. NO BIGGIE! I can always do that. I've already proven that! Ultimately, forever is just a bunch of tommorrows anyway! I know it's just semantics but for some reason forever is more than I can think about! Good Luck!
John
jennifer32327

Quit Date:
November 23, 2004

PostPosted: June 15, 2004 3:11 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

i need some advice to Ros! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Jennifer,

Keep your heart open to dreams for
as long as there is dream there is hope
and as long as there is hope
there is joy in living!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
alison

Quit Date:
June 3, 2003

PostPosted: June 15, 2004 4:30 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day by day you have to keep reminding yourself that this is for you. When the steam runs out you still have support herre and your original work for your quit to refer to. It helps to make other changes in your life as well. Find a healthy activity and make changes to your diet. The more you change you life little by little the less smoking will rear it's ugly head. Smoking lives in the old familiar habits. eliminate those habits and the rest goes with it. Pay attention too as the cravings are less frequent and less intense as time goes by. Today I see myself not as a smokier who doesn't smoke but as a true non-smoker. You will get there too if you begin to look at yourself that way.

Keeping the quit the best way I can, by sharing.

I wish you peace.

alison
Carol

Quit Date:
December 9, 2009

PostPosted: June 15, 2004 9:11 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are unable to see the positives as you go, I would suggest that you write down the postive changes in your life now that you do not smoke. i.e. no longer coughing our lungs out. and many many more. Than refer to them. I have so many postives...
And keep your list of reasons for quitting close at hand. I refer to them when I wonder why I am doing this day after day. And the reasons remain the same. I still want the same things for my life
And as Alison says soon it becomes a way of life rather than a chore.

WALK TALL WALK PROUD
CAROL
jkolako796

Quit Date:
May 16, 2004

PostPosted: June 15, 2004 9:42 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alison- that was very well said, and I truly appreciate the wisdom in your words. The benefits of a change to a healthier lifestyle, both physically and mentally cannot be overstated. I already feel better and I am just a month into this. I have started running, eating healthier (to some extent, but I really like my food!) and continuing with the taekwondo. I have also tried to learn my emotions (nothing real girly though! If I start getting too in touch I scratch my butt and grunt!) and I am forced to re-learn how to deal with emotions. It fascinates me that a lot of emotions seem to manifest themselves in childish ways, but then I realize that I started smoking at 12 years old, and I have not really had to deal with emotions without a crutch since then, so the childishness almost makes sense. (I know- nobody on the board believes I can be childish!) Sometimes the raw power of the emotions scares the hell out of me- I actually punched a hole in a wall for the first time since I was about 20 years old out of anger and frustration. Hopefully the source of these emotions will clear up, or I am sure you will all hear about it- I actually WANTED a cig today, for the first time in a week or so. Different story though.

Geez- I am rambling. Anyways- thank you for pointing out the health aspects, physical, emotional and spirutal health are all held back by nicotine, now that we are free of that bastard it is time to grow!

Joshua

Someone who thinks logically provides a nice contrast to the real world.
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 16, 2004 8:24 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

alison wrote:
Keeping the quit the best way I can, by sharing.

This is such a great statement and so true! Ros, I am really a newbie, but sharing has already helped reinforce the best decision of my life (well, tied with marrying the greatest guy on earth! LOL!!! Cool )

Anyway, I was at the mall last night making my "H*LL Week Survivor" reward purchase and made a small comment about why I was getting the purchase. I had four people start talking to me because they "want/need/would like" to quit. I didn't get preachy, just shared my experiences. This was as uplifting as the purchase. Sharing became part of the reward for surviving "H*LL Week."

Great idea for a thread and I am learning so much from everyone! Cool

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
Snowlover

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 16, 2004 10:24 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it amazing how supportive and loving people can be when you tell them your quitting?!
I've told a few new friends - and was shocked to learn that they had also smoked in the past. As smokers we try to hide our shame. It's wonderful to just open up and be honest with people now.
And, they didn't judge me - that was such a blessing.
Guess there are a bazillion people out there my age who started smoking in their teens before anyone really knew the dangers.
So, there's lots of us quitting. Most quit years ago. I could not.
BUT, I'M DOING IT NOW.

Ros, congratulations on your decision to give Laughing Demon the boot.

Kaye
Rbns567

Quit Date:
May 18, 2004

PostPosted: June 16, 2004 12:07 PM    Post subject: reply to all my answers to my post Reply with quote

Hi all thanks for all the good advice from you all, (jennifer if you need to you can email me at rbns567@aol.com I am on messenger (aol )at present I tried yahoo,s new version but its been causing BIG PROBLEMS so I have taken it off) I did have a good day today my daughter is training in beuty therapy and guess who was eyebrow shaped, plucked, made up ect yes youve guessed it ME..LOLOL and it didnt cost me a cent..and well I enjoyed the pampering so much.. Laughing I am also feeling a lot better than yesterday for some reason I had such a lot of cravings but I WON THROUGH AND DIDNT GIVE INTO. Scowling Demon I KICKED HIS BUTT INSTEAD!!! Laughing Laughing Ros

previously rosspink
Mindy

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 16, 2004 6:29 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always remember your reasons for quitting...Keep your list with you at all times. I still have mine.....Remember that you are stronger than the craves and urges. Every time you overcome an urge you come out stronger......We're all here for you,
jennifer32327

Quit Date:
November 23, 2004

PostPosted: June 16, 2004 7:43 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT ADVICE!!! I don't know if I would have made it this long without you guys and the information everyone provides! WE ARE KICKEN BUTT ROS! Very Happy Very Happy

Cool Cool Cool

I have been quit for 5 Days, 19 hours, 32 minutes and 54 seconds (5 days). I have saved $23.25 by not smoking 116 cigarettes. I have saved 9 hours and 40 minutes of my life.

Jennifer,

Keep your heart open to dreams for
as long as there is dream there is hope
and as long as there is hope
there is joy in living!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: