quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

what was (is) your biggest fear about quitting?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 17, 2008 9:15 PM    Post subject: what was (is) your biggest fear about quitting? Reply with quote

what was your biggest fear about quitting when you were getting ready to quit? (if you haven't quit yet, what is your biggest fear right now?)

how did you deal with it? (or how will you deal with it?)

my biggest fear was that i wouldn't be strong enough to resist the craves. i dealt with it by using my brother bob as my role model:

http://www.woofmang.com/tales/i_am_a_nicotine_addict.shtml

(there are other tales that talk about this, but that one will give you the idea).

how about you?

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
pinkpearl

Quit Date:
June 30, 2007

PostPosted: April 17, 2008 9:37 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not being strong enough to quit, yes, I agree with that one.
Also, just not feeling "normal" after having the habit (addiction)
for so many years.
What will I do when others smoke around me? I actually kept to myself quite a bit..... Embarassed

How will I be able to have a drink and relax? I didnt drink for quite awhile and when I did it was not the normal thing I would drink.

What will I do when Im nevous, afraid, or pissed off?
I had lots of thoughts running through my head.
I came here to woofmang. seriously, I did.
Also, I tried to just keep busy other ways. I knew the
craves would pass

My avatars name is moon ray

Last edited by pinkpearl on April 18, 2008 7:30 AM; edited 1 time in total
Snowlover

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 17, 2008 10:33 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fear was also the craves. I was sure I would just fly off the planet, or explode or implode or something. I thought my nerves would get the best of me for sure. I was positive I couldn't handle it. I first learned about understanding the fear from a Dr. Phil show. He explained how to pick apart the fear and really think about it realistically. You realize the things you're telling yourself just are untrue.

K
Gidget

Quit Date:
March 14, 2008

PostPosted: April 18, 2008 7:32 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was terrified of so many different, irrational things.

1. I was afraid I'd never think straight or be able to focus. (lie)
2. I was afraid I'd gain a ton of weight (lie, that is controllable)
3. I was afraid I would fail (lie)
4. I was afraid I would look like a failure to others (lie)
5. I was afraid I would want to smoke more than I want to live (lie)
6. I was afraid that first couple of weeks of fogginess and edginess was indicative of how the rest of my life would be (lie)

So you see, I needed to look all of these things in the face and call them all lies. I feel so much better having done that!!

Gidget Very Happy

My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny.
-Elaine Maxwell
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: April 18, 2008 8:59 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fears were failure and weight gain. It's amazing, though, how we learn to deal with things and how great life is without Scowling Demon .

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Carla

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 21, 2008 8:27 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my biggest fear was that I would always, always, always crave cigarettes. But then I read somewhere, maybe here, that the craving goes away even if you don't give in and smoke. What kept me going was knowing that every day it got a little bit easier.

Carla
Quit Date: January 4, 2004
Rusty

Quit Date:
December 13, 2004

PostPosted: April 21, 2008 7:52 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I was afraid that I didn't want to quit bad enough. And I think I was afraid of how hard it was going to be. It was hard, no doubt about it. But I am so glad I did it. Now I don't ever have to do it again!

Rusty Laughing

The Buddha says: Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: April 23, 2008 6:34 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my biggest fear initally was of appearing "weak". That fear very quickly became being afraid that if I failed - I'd never try again - so it was easier to not fail...Not wanting to find out if I could quit again is a part of continuing to choose freedom daily! Its just easier to not smoke. I do think that I would not be happy again as a smoker - I don't think I was ever really "happy" as a smoker - I had just convinced myself that I "enjoyed" smoking to justify feeding my addiction..

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Doggygirl

Quit Date:
February 26, 2007

PostPosted: May 8, 2008 11:50 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin this is a great topic!! And hello to all the familar names on this thread.

I was never one to be "konstantly kwitting." I really only made one serious attempt (lasted 6 months, and was 16 years ago) before this successful attempt. (14+months quit now).

1) My #1 fear was craving cigarettes (nicotine) with that crazy level of intensity, forever.

2) See #1

I had already succumbed once after 6 months. I'll blame Laughing Demon for somehow helping me remember the part about having some cravings (or thoughts) at that stage. I will also blame Laughing Demon for helping me forget that the cravings at 6months were NOT anywhere near as intense as they were initially. I just made a stupid decision.

Seriously, any other reasons I thought up at the time to NOT want to quit (i.e. IT'S MY LEGAL RIGHT TO SMOKE DAG NAB IT!) were just smoke and mirrors about my withdrawl fears.

At least that's what I think for now, until I become more enlightened, which is likely. Wink

DG
14+ months quit

Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same. ~Francesca Reigler
Doggygirl

Quit Date:
February 26, 2007

PostPosted: May 8, 2008 11:54 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

kannprint wrote:
My fears were failure and weight gain. It's amazing, though, how we learn to deal with things and how great life is without Scowling Demon .

So, how did you deal with the weight gain issues, that is if you ended up having that issue. Inquiring Doggygirls want to know....

That aside, I'd rather gain an extra 10 (well, OK, 15) pounds than be dying of lung cancer. And I WILL conquer this weight issue eventually. And to keep it fair and balanced, "other girly stuff that happens around age 50" is going on too, and probably has more impact on my weight changes than quitting smoking did. Can we use the "M" work around here? Kevin? Wink

Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same. ~Francesca Reigler
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 8, 2008 11:49 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doggygirl wrote:
Can we use the "M" work around here? Kevin? Wink

marshmallows? sure; why not? Wink

edited to clarify: "marshmallows" was a joke (notice the winkie smile thing). anything that impacts your quit is fair game to talk about here, including menopause.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit

Last edited by kevin on May 12, 2008 1:00 PM; edited 1 time in total
Kissimee

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 9, 2008 3:03 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first time I quit I had no fears...I just did it! It lasted 4 years and then I chose to give in.

Now my fears are incredible...Not being strong enough to do it, the first several month of that "out of the body" experience, being a craving monster and hurting everyone around me, gaining weight, letting people down since I failed before, not fitting in anywhere, not with smokers, not with nonsmokers, just not fitting in, and that I'm just doomed a smoker.

Those are a lot of my feelings I'm dealing with now since I have committed to a date again like I did Monday.

I can NOT control the addiction because if I could, it would NOT be an addiction...BUT I can control ME, the addict.
~Tracy

Patty129

Quit Date:
February 18, 2007

PostPosted: May 10, 2008 10:55 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe I've missed posting on this thread.....and good to see you again, Doggygirl....we've missed you.....

I think my biggest fear was weight gain....and sorry to say it wasn't unfounded!!!! Probably the second biggest, was fear was of relapse and disappointing everyone who had supported my quit.

Something interesting that I've found over the past couple of months since really taking a look at my eating habits and changing them slowly, is that the days that I eat in a really healthy way (low fat/low carb) will be the days I have fewer cravings/thoughts of smoking. I'm sure it is some brain chemical "thing" and I've been so surprised by it.....often in the beginning of my quit, it felt as though the only way to get through an especially bad crave was to feed it with sugar or salty snacks.....and what I'm finding now is totally the opposite. I've dropped 12 of the 30 pounds that I've gained and I'm sure that once I get serious about my exercise the rest will come off too.

Just one more thought.....I know in the beginning of my quit and for a long time afterward, I felt so BLAH, not actually depressed, just flat lined emotionally.....which was what had ended other quits.....but that has gone away too. It took longer for me than I expected, but then I smoked for 48 years too, but the return of good "ups and downs" has been one more wonderful reward.....and I no longer smell bad!!!!

This has been much longer than I intended......but I can't stop being amazed at this wonderous experience and I'm so glad that this quit has been successful.

Patty
Doggygirl

Quit Date:
February 26, 2007

PostPosted: May 10, 2008 11:52 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kissime, I can sure relate to what you are saying. Years ago I quit for 6 months and was just getting comfortable with being an ex-smoker when I gave in, and right back to heavy smoking I went. Realizing just how easy it was to "give in" even after 6 months was a very depressing thought to me, and made if very hard for me to get back on the wagon. (15+ years hard). I can't even imagine what that must feel like after 4 years.

If nothing else, going through this experience has probably taught you that it's just NEVER worth going back, there IS NO "just one." or any of that BS.

On a positive note, once you pick your date and get through the first few days/weeks/months and it starts getting easier, your quit just might be more firm. I know mine is. Best wishes!!

Patty, congratulations on your progress battling the buldge. You are giving me hope!! I'm one whose metabolism cannot abide carbs - I'd love if you would share a sample menu plan - maybe we should start a different thread since it's probably a bit OT here. I DO think our brains get our cravings mixed up. i.e. sometimes we think we are hungry when we are really thirsty. Sometimes our brains are responding to a blood sugar issue and we think we want a cigarette. Etc. Etc. So what you say makes total sense to me. By stopping the sugar (hence leveling off your blood sugar) you reduce those related cravings, and hence reduce the potential for cravings to get mixed up with each other. Does that make any sense?? (probably not)

Patty, are you of the age to have dealt with Marshmellow (TM Kevin) related symptoms? I'm finding this marshmellow(TM Kevin) time of life to present stresses of a new nature.

DG

chris2quit

Quit Date:
September 22, 2008

PostPosted: August 26, 2008 11:07 PM    Post subject: my biggest fear about quitting Reply with quote

it would have to be my anger..my anger without a cigarette overwhelms me and i lash out at the people nearest to me..i dont know how ill deal with it..or i guess ill have to identify it when it comes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: