quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

what was (is) your biggest fear about quitting?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinkpearl

Quit Date:
June 30, 2007

PostPosted: August 26, 2008 11:12 PM    Post subject: Re: my biggest fear about quitting Reply with quote

chris2quit wrote:
it would have to be my anger..my anger without a cigarette overwhelms me and i lash out at the people nearest to me..i dont know how ill deal with it..or i guess ill have to identify it when it comes

it will subside. it really will.
You arent the only one that
becomes angry from not smoking!!
Just keep reading!

My avatars name is moon ray
MidnightWolf

Quit Date:
September 24, 2008

PostPosted: September 21, 2008 4:56 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest fear is weight gain and anxiety. I have an anxiety disorder and often smoke when I get very anxious.

Thinking back when I quit for 8 years, if I did it then, I know I can do it again!
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: September 21, 2008 7:15 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy That's right. You Can Do it Again! I used affirmations like there is no excuse to smoke and such. It's nice to see you around the boards. Welcome again.

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Dianne

Quit Date:
June 21, 2009

PostPosted: December 31, 2008 2:55 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest fear about quitting..... Is not having the cigarette when I need it.. Angry, good day, bad day... happy.... sad.... I smoke with every emotion and the thought of living my life without a smoke for all of these moments scares me to death. I know it is a lie, but a demon within me continues to let me believe it is OK when I know it is not... I worry about weight and of failure... When I blew my 4 month quit last year.. the feeling of failing has stayed with me and has not allowed me to be a happy smoker... I am just a smoker.... a nicotine junkie.... plain and simple.... So my biggest fear is ME..... not being strong enough to battle the junkie inside me.... But I think the difference this time is I am preparing for the battle.... I am getting education, will power and sheer determination in my corner.. So this time it has to be different?? It must be different!!!
kalea

Quit Date:
January 5, 2009

PostPosted: January 6, 2009 4:12 PM    Post subject: My biggest fear.. Reply with quote

I think the greatest fear for me is failure. I know no one likes to fail BUT I really don't like it., I suppose by not trying to quit I'm already failing in a way..

Kalea
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: January 6, 2009 7:18 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

My greatest fear was the unknown...I do not like surprises very much and like to know what is coming next...I have always been one to plan things out and to be prepared...that was scary since I did not know what to expect....the good news is....the sky did not fall and nothing blew up and I made it through. I used crutches with the zyban and patches and lived on this site until I could stand on my own....this site carried me through all the dark days and nights.....just love you guys!
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
Fightn4life

Quit Date:
October 23, 2003

PostPosted: August 17, 2009 10:29 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I quit my biggest fear was losing the connection I had with my husband. “Our times” included sitting out side or at the table talking for hours…smoking. I wanted to quit he didn’t.

During my early quit my fears were founded…we lost that connection…I found the boards for support. Now we have that connection back…he smokes we both talk. It just took me rethinking about my life. I didn’t marry him so we could smoke together…I married for love. Not smoking didn’t stop me from loving him.

My other great fear was gaining a lot of weight…I never had weight issues in my life. Once I quit smoking the pounds I avoided all those years found me. I started low impact weight loss Yoga and started walking at least three times a week. Later I just kept walking until I reached five miles a day. The weight came off.

Next was fear of my temper…a smoke always calmed me down. What I found was it really wasn’t the smoking it was the deep breaths that calmed me down. So instead of deep breathing smoke…I took deep breaths of awesome air. How silly all those years I gave cigarettes the credit.

I also feared my thoughts would be scrambled and I wouldn’t be able to paint or write. Much later I realized I didn’t need the smoking to keep my mind from feeling like mush…with the exercise and walking my mind stayed clear. Now if I get tangled within my own thinking…it is me.

I feel sure there were other fears…but each one was just a lie I kept telling myself in order to smoke. Once I quit telling my self I was a smoker and always would be…I stayed smoke free. (Or best as one can living with a chain smoker) Many people here know the struggles I had living with a smoker. Now, he smokes in the basement or out side. The house is OFF limits. I chose life!

Sandyz
(fightn4life)

"Keep your heart open to dreams. For as long as there's a dream, there is hope, and as long as there is hope, there is joy in living."

~Anonymous
bsoulfire

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 22, 2009 1:32 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

the first time i quit i wasn't afraid. I wanted to quit so bad. I really didn't like cigarettes anymore and just wanted to get rid of them.
This time around i know why i started again and i'm afraid it will eventually happen again.
also i love going out .. my biggest fear is drinking alcohol , having fun and thinking " just one won;t hurt" .
i'm not going out right now because i know alcohol is a big factor ( i don't ever get wasted but just one glass is enough )...
brownbrown

Quit Date:
December 12, 2011

PostPosted: December 21, 2011 11:13 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped before for about 1. year. I had this dreams ... In my dream I was smoking a cigarette and when I smoked 1/2 I said to myself NOT AGAIN and I woke up Sad((( .... I am afraid that this time I will have same problems!
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: December 21, 2011 11:20 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost all of us have had "smoking dreams" even well into our quits. I actually enjoy waking up and realizing it was just a dream.

Don't let a dream keep you from quitting. Smile

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
SeanBen

Quit Date:
January 1, 2012

PostPosted: July 13, 2012 4:56 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggest fear is gain weight, wont be able to concentrate and anger...
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 13, 2012 3:32 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the site, seanben!

here's a response i gave some time ago to a member who had similar concerns; hope it helps:

http://quit-smoking-support.woofmang.com/viewtopic.php?t=11322#112251

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: July 13, 2012 7:53 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gained a bit at the beginning but had no trouble getting rid of most of the pounds. The big thing is that I feel terrific as a non-smoker.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: