quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The stress of marshmellows
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patty129

Quit Date:
February 18, 2007

PostPosted: May 11, 2008 10:52 AM    Post subject: The stress of marshmellows Reply with quote

To answer Doggygirls question about the BIG M.....YES, YES, YES.....been there, done that.

Let me preface all of this with, just like quitting smoking, the big M is such an individual journey. I am one of four sisters and two of us have had an extremely difficult time with the symptoms of marshmellows and two of the sisters breezed right through.....our mother had mega problems too.

I probably had/have every symptom imaginable and thank goodness I have one of the nicest and best OB/GYN docs I ever worked with and finding her was a gift.....she is actually concerned with the quality of life (my life) and listens to me.....and if the stress, body changes, emotional changes, cognitive changes are a problem, I would find a good doc and let them help you through this.

I can truly say that the Big M was more challenging and more difficult for me.....8 years of marshmellow hell.....than the years of puberty, and they were no picnic!!!! So, if you are experiencing that kind of change and high levels of stress.....I hope you can find someone who will work with you and take your issues seriously.

One last thing.....this doc was also one of my biggest cheerleaders when I quit smoking....she had been encouraging it for years, of course, so she is another one that I never want to disappoint.

Hope this helps a little bit, Doggygirl.....Patty
Rusty

Quit Date:
December 13, 2004

PostPosted: May 11, 2008 11:10 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Patty, I hope I don't offend anyone here, but let's call it what it is...menopause. This is nothing to be embarrassed about or ashamed of. It is another phase of life that we all go through. And it's something we all need to understand and have good solid information about, so that we can deal with it in the right way.

I agree with you...a good doctor is essential. I too have a female gynecologist and even though she's younger than I am, she is caring and sensitive, and if she doesn't know the answer to one of my questions, she'll get the answer.

I quit smoking during menopause, so I had a double dose of emotions, but I'm still alive to tell the tales...so is my husband! LOL

My suggestion is to learn as much as you can, from your doctor, from the library and from the internet.

Rusty

The Buddha says: Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: May 11, 2008 11:49 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through menapause about 10 years ago. Glad it is over.

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
daggy12

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 11, 2008 6:05 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mom says im pre M. I had a partial 5 years ago so I get some stuff. But I have to say I dont know whats worst actually having a cycle or having parts of it not knowing or remembering it when things get out of control and I have to go OOOOHHHH that explains why I acting this way. Some months are worse then others some are more emotional, then other months are physical discomfort. Personally all of it is such a pain in the ass!

Life can only be "understood" by looking backward, but must be "lived" by looking forward.

Patty
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 12, 2008 12:54 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

it took me a minute to realize what you were talking about, patty (marshmellow hell? Laughing ); then i realized that i (jokingly) used that word in response to beth's asking if it was ok to talk about menopause here...

just for the record: anything that impacts your quit is fair game. i can't imagine anyone being offended by the word menopause, or discussion of its effects on a quit; we're all adults here.

i apologize if my offhand remark read like a prohibition; that was not my intention.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
texas2step

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 12, 2008 2:22 PM    Post subject: I like it better... Reply with quote

after my own personal experiences with Menopause, I prefer to call it Marshmallows thank you -Wink sounds much "happier"

The only thing I had a bigger pity party with than quitting smoking was my changing of the cycles... Oh dear -Wink cold wash rags to cool off with at night by the bedside LOL

But there's a great herbal product called Promensil - it saved my life. You must take it without fail every day and never miss one but after about 20 to 30 days or so you will feel much better. It isn't cheap but it's a whole lot less than produced hormones (and in my humble opinion not nearly as scary as the side effects from those). I hope it's okay Kevin to mention a product... it's over the counter and herbal.... I took the Promensil for about 6 months.

Texas

"You can't always have happiness, but you can always give happiness."
Anonymous

Quit: 8/14/06
Doggygirl

Quit Date:
February 26, 2007

PostPosted: May 12, 2008 3:23 PM    Post subject: Thank You Kevin!!! Reply with quote

I'm glad we can talk about Menopause around here, in the form of Menopause, Marshmellows, or "M". (If two women are talking about menopause, is that "M&M?")

Texas, I'm going to google Promensil. Mean time, would you be willing to give more detail about the symptoms Promensil helped you with, and any web links that you personally find helpful?

My biggest "negative" health thing over the last couple of years is a significant weight gain. I am wondering if I should have my Thyroid checked, and/or any other hormone levels checked. I feel like I'm living in someone else's body!

Any very specific suggestions from the M'er crowd would be much appreciated. I'm not even sure what to ask / tell my doc at this point.

DG

Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same. ~Francesca Reigler
texas2step

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 12, 2008 5:25 PM    Post subject: and I emailed you too Reply with quote

Sure I can tell you something about it... and I emailed you did you get my email? I sent a copy to myself and didn't get it so I don't know if the site's email is not working or if SBC is blocking emails or what.... anyhow the Promensil helped me with night sweats and hot flashes.

As to weight gain, since I quit smoking I have gained about 16 pounds. Not a lot if I hadn't only weighed 105 to start with. I like to consider myself pleasing plump but in fact have had to go up a size in pants and shirts (oh I never had any boobs when I was smoking and thin that's why I haven't worried about taking off the 16 cause I know I'll lose the only boobs I ever had LOL) but I was fairly small and light weight until my quit. However all things considered I will keep my 16 pounds rather than ever smoke again.... course if I didn't hate working out and didn't mind cutting back on the amount of food I consume I could easily manage my weight.... but that's another story. And I am 5' 4" tall so not horribly heavy at my current weight.... I'm still within size criteria anyway.

If you feel uncomfortable about the weight yes you should get checked. Blood pressure too goes up with weigh gain. Not a good thing unless you have low blood pressure. But some weight gain can be expected with any quit I think. I never ate breakfast, I ate twice a day. Now I eat three times a day or else I hear my stomach growling over the sounds of an airplane roaring on the runway -Wink

Anyway I don't think the Promensil will help with weight gain. But it sure saved me from the horrible night sweats and hot flashes I was having. I quit taking it after about 6 months I think and now I have a hot flash or wake up hot at night only every now and then and it's nothing like it was and gone quickly.

You gotta love the human body..... does some pretty weird things to us -Wink

Texas

"You can't always have happiness, but you can always give happiness."
Anonymous

Quit: 8/14/06
Rusty

Quit Date:
December 13, 2004

PostPosted: May 12, 2008 8:20 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a book called Body for Life for Women, I don't remember who wrote it. But in it, she says that weight gain comes with our 50s...she calls it the "menopot." She says we have to work extra hard, be extra diligent with our food, and be patient because it will take longer.

Sad

The Buddha says: Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.
Patty129

Quit Date:
February 18, 2007

PostPosted: May 13, 2008 7:36 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beth....I can't tell you how much I recommend seeing a doc.....thyroid problems in Perimenopause (periods haven't completely stopped yet) but syptoms are there, is very common.....my doc has me go through blood work every year to look at the thyroid and other things....but the weight gain is a sign of that.....also fatigue, a sort of fuzzy brain, changes in your hair, etc.

Something I think it is important to note is that women's bodies do tend to change as we age....like how we carry our weight....I never had any fat around my back and actually wore the same size bra (even through my pregnancy) until I turned 45....went from a 34 to a 38.....and had not put on a lot of weight....everything just sort of shifted.

Also, the night sweats, hot flashes, and most disturbing for me, the inability to process and multi-task were huge. I did lots of reading, and there are some really good books out there now....but I also went through two other doctors before I found the woman I'm with now....that was expensive and a huge hassle.....but, worth it in the long run.
Hope this helps.....Patty
Doggygirl

Quit Date:
February 26, 2007

PostPosted: May 13, 2008 10:36 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thank you all for your tips and feedback. While this hasn't been a total easy breezy ride so far, I've got a few symptoms that maybe SHOULD be checked.

OK - are you sitting down? Smile

I called my holistic vet yesterday who is an expert on reproductive issues and cycles and hormones with dogs. I asked her if she could recommend a human doctor equivalent, which she did. It's a woman who is an MD with a family practice, but is also apparently up to speed with the latest happenings on the hormone front.

Once I have an appointment, I will report back how it goes.

DG

Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same. ~Francesca Reigler
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: May 13, 2008 7:10 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Kevin for adding this forum! My mother never said the word menopause so I had no clue what to expect....I guess I was just relieved to know that I may be meaner than hell but I was not crazy!!!!!! I was not having manic episodes , I was however always more homicidal than suicidal. Laughing Laughing I had horrible hot flashes and night sweats.... I could not sleep, I felt unusally tired all the time.

I finally ran into an old friend who used to fix my hair...she still looked really good as I was sitting there on two stools so I asked her..." Hey, what is your secret?" Well, she admitted she still smoked but not very often....her main success story was the natural hormones called bioidentical hormones that Suzanne Summers has talked so much about.,...so off to the doctor I go and lord and behold, a miracle happened in just a couple of weeks...I no longer have any symptoms and am quite a nice person again....the goji juice has also helped me a lot....
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
Doggygirl

Quit Date:
February 26, 2007

PostPosted: May 15, 2008 9:38 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay, that's encouraging news. That's exactly what I want to talk to this doc about. Suzanne may have had a few nips and tucks to go with her hormones, but there is no denying that she looks and sounds terrific. I am REALLY glad to hear about your positive experience.

What made me think of the holistic vet was an experience we had with our female GSD. Since her second ever heat cycle, we knew she had some sort of hormone imbalance issues. We really did want to get a litter out of her, but did not want to put HER through undue stress and physical taxation to get one. (There are some pretty extreme measures out there that some people take). Low estrogen was the suspected problem, so she ordered a plant based estrogren supplement. She said the benefit of the plant based version is that like many supplements we take, what is not used by the body is eliminated. So absolute precision doseage that is required with synthetic or animal based hormones (with potential big negatives if you get it wrong) was not a huge issue.

Our dog is happily spayed now - no litter - the problem was too big. We're OK with that - we didn't want to mess TOO much with nature.

This is OT, but have you ladies ever heard Dolly Parton on "nips, tucks and sucks?" LOL - she is definitely all about whatever modern technology can do for us!!!! She is another one who has held up well against the test of time!

Enough babbling...

DG

Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: May 15, 2008 12:20 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the other hormones and immediately gained weight, had a knot appear behind the right knee and was on the verge of murder...I stopped them when they could not explain the knot in my leg....it went away as suddenly as it appeared after stopping the pills.

I have had no side effects what so ever with these hormones....I just pop the banana flavored jel type tablet into my mouth and I am in peaceful sleep before it dissolves...your doctor can add or take away whatever is necessary to make you feel better. Mine must have added something for sleep because I am in heaven. I have lost 12 lbs since I topped out at my maximum weight gain when I quit smoking and I never diet. I eat what and when I want. I have not lost alot of weight but rather it has shifted back to places it used to be Laughing Laughing I have dropped two sizes in clothes and lost inches...this I think is due to the estrogen. The goji juice is also great for controlling one's weight...it keeps you calm and happy without taking any type of anxiety or depression drugs.
For who it may help.
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
Doggygirl

Quit Date:
February 26, 2007

PostPosted: May 17, 2008 11:55 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are giving me hope Kay, that this rampant weight gain etc. isn't 100% my own lazy a$$.

Speaking of a$$es, please kick mine by the "end of business" on Monday if I haven't posted about a doctor appointment.

DG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: