quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The stress of marshmellows
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: May 20, 2008 6:55 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I need to start kicking????
Laughing Laughing
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
Snowlover

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 20, 2008 8:27 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Doggygirl,

When's that appointment? I'm pretty sure that Cowgirl UP can Whoop your a$$.
K
Doggygirl

Quit Date:
February 26, 2007

PostPosted: May 21, 2008 9:21 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you ladies! I promise I will call today (their office isn't open yet, but I dug up the phone number!)

I'm sure Kay can probably kick my a$$ as long as I don't sit on her. That would be very bad for Kay. Wink

DG

Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same. ~Francesca Reigler
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: May 23, 2008 10:25 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may sit on me Laughing Laughing I was just hoping you were not real tall because I would be kicking you in the knees....

Wink
Kay

Doggygirl

Quit Date:
February 26, 2007

PostPosted: May 23, 2008 1:37 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cowgirl UP! wrote:
You may sit on me Laughing Laughing I was just hoping you were not real tall because I would be kicking you in the knees....

Wink
Kay

I don't think you want me sitting on you. I'm not only big, but tall too!! Smile

I'm still chasing that Doc appointment. Tried again today but they apparently are closed for the holiday weekend. Hopefully I can get the appointment taken care of on Tuesday!

DG

Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same. ~Francesca Reigler
Doggygirl

Quit Date:
February 26, 2007

PostPosted: May 27, 2008 8:22 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, thanks to Kay's persistent butt kicking, I have the doc appointment this Friday at 11AM. I will let you know how it goes. Supposedly she's really, really good at this hormone stuff.

Now to arm myself with a concise list of questions!! Many are rolling around in my head but I need to get them down on paper and organized by Friday AM. Any suggestions are welcome!!

DG

Doggygirl

Quit Date:
February 26, 2007

PostPosted: May 28, 2008 7:50 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

You all are gonna LOVE this one:

The 7 Dwarfs of Menopause, by Suzanne Somers
Itchy
Bitchy
Sweaty
Sleepy
Bloated
Forgetful
All Dried Up (low sex drive)

Do I hear an AMEN to that????? (I can't wait for this doc appointment!)

DG

Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: May 28, 2008 6:13 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMEN!!!!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: May 31, 2008 12:33 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMEN

Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: May 31, 2008 2:54 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...its Saturday! - Hope your appointment went well....

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Doggygirl

Quit Date:
February 26, 2007

PostPosted: May 31, 2008 7:18 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

The doctor appointment was AWESOME. She is an MD who has had a family practice for years. Several years ago she started having menopause symptoms - some of which were very, very severe. She started counting hot flashes and on some days had as many as 70. She experienced the rapid weight gain that wouldn't come off, no sex drive, very irritable, etc. She was having trouble functioning as both a wife and a doctor.

She started doing research on menopause, hormones, etc. which led her to bioidenticals which have apparently been used successfully in Europe for 20+ years and even longer in Asia. They have been dissed in the US largely because they ARE natural, therefore not "patentable" which is not attractice to the big pharmaceutical companies. Synthetics on the other hand.... (the health care system in this country makes me ill, but that's for another thread!)

Anyway, she was her own first patient in was has become a specialty practice for her. This changed her life - and she is a vibrant, attractive, high energy NOT fat 51 year old who clearly has passion for helping women.

Anyway, there are both blood and saliva tests underway to measure several areas of Thyroid, Estrogen, Protesterone, Testosterone and Cortisol. (I might be missing something) The point is, she test things very thoroughly with the idea that ALL of the hormone systems need to be in balance for everything to function correctly.

They expect to have the lab results back in about 2.5 weeks and I already have an appointment for June 20 where we will review the results, and she anticipates ordering a customized prescription compound for me.

I want my body and mind back (well, and my sex drive back would be nice too - just ask Mr. Doggy) and I'm willing to give it a go!

Now THAT's more info than you asked for innit!!!

Gotta run for now. Just got done with dog training and want to post that I DID do my exercise for today too! It's been a good week all in all.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

DG

Patty129

Quit Date:
February 18, 2007

PostPosted: June 2, 2008 7:29 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTG, Beth.....
the doc sounds awesome
Doggygirl

Quit Date:
February 26, 2007

PostPosted: June 3, 2008 2:58 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL - that saliva test is something else. Never done one of those before. Doc sent me home on Friday with a "kit" full of little vials and labels and instructions. Basically I had to fill these vials with spit at 4 different time intervals on Sunday, then freeze the spit for shipment yesterday.

Let me tell you, that was a LOT of spit to muster up! And I have zero aim so much was wasted.

Gross I know....but somehow doing this struck my funny bone, which of course laughing makes the whole thing even harder to do successfully.

Hopefully I won't have to repeat that for awhile!!

June 20 seems very far away at the moment. I can't wait to get results.

DG

londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: June 25, 2008 6:56 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am anxiously awaiting your results Doggygirl! THis thread is giving me hope. I was having tremendous hot flashes and then all of a sudden they stopped. ( a vistor came after 5 months of not stopping by Crying or Very sad ) Now I just keep living everyday wondering if this is the day. Oh well.

I am going to look into more on what Suzanne Sommers says, sounds like it did wonderful things for you Kay. (Course I have always thought you were sweet!)

God Bless

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
Doggygirl

Quit Date:
February 26, 2007

PostPosted: June 25, 2008 8:48 PM    Post subject: Hello Marshmellow Lovers... Reply with quote

Sorry it has taken me so long to post!! I had a really good visit with the doc last Friday to review test results. I'm so glad I found her!!

On the thyroid front, I am now getting some help from Armour (natural - not synthetic) Thyroid. My Free T4 is not converting to T3 in the amounts it should. So the goal is for the Armour to raise my T3 level so it is higher in it's range than the T4 is in it's range.

On the rest of the hormones...

As the doc guessed from my symptoms, I am VERY low in progesterone. Also low in estrogen. She ordered custom creams of each from the compounding pharmacy and hopefully I will have them soon. The nice thing about starting with the creams is that the dose can be tweaked easily without necessarily ordering a new batch. Once we get the dose just right, then she will switch me to oils, which are even less expensive.

My testosterone and ADEH are fine.

My Cortisol is fine during the day, but skyrockets in the evening. No wonder I've been having trouble sleeping!! She's not doing anything to treat that just yet as she says it tends to be very closely linked to Thyroid, so we will see where we are once we get the Thyroid where we want it.

It feels so good to be on a path where I believe I'm getting great advice, and that I will improve the quality of life!!

Londa, I thought I was done with the cycles too, but about 5 months later - just like you - bam. Don't let that stop you from finding a good hormone doc though if you are having issues.

My understanding is that it is NOT easy to find docs that are into the bioidentical (natural) hormones as opposed to the synthetics. I know for sure that it's really hard to find a doc that really really understands thyroid problems. As a common example, ALL of my thyroid numbers fell within "normal" ranges. The problem is that normal ranges are very wide (and suspect) and in the case of TSH (which for some docs, that is the ONLY thing they even test) the ranges mean basically nothing.

I've come across a couple of good web sites on this stuff...I'll come back tomorrow when I have more time and try to include some useful links for those doing more research.

Gotta run!! Life is good!

DG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: