quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Detox

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gidget

Quit Date:
March 14, 2008

PostPosted: June 1, 2008 8:25 AM    Post subject: Detox Reply with quote

Hi!
I've been looking into the benefits of a full detox. With all of the nasty chemicals quite possibly lingering in my system (including my quitting aid) I think I could benefit from something like this. Have any of you tried one? When I look at the options out there, I am most drawn to the "Master Cleanse". It is a lemon, water, cayenne pepper concoction. It is a 10 day fast. I understand it is a wonderful cleanser post addiction.
Any thoughts would be welcome.
Gidget

My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny.
-Elaine Maxwell
Rusty

Quit Date:
December 13, 2004

PostPosted: June 1, 2008 9:46 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gidget, I asked my doctor about detoxing. He's pretty liberal about alternative medicines, but he said "God gave you kidneys, lungs, and a liver to get rid of the stuff your body doesn't need. Don't fall for the marketing hype about toxins building up in your body...somebody is making a lot of money off that concept."

Rusty

The Buddha says: Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.
daggy12

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 1, 2008 9:48 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered about it too. I was looking at the detox foot pads. Found out it was a gimmick they put vinager in the pad, your body heat activates it.

Life can only be "understood" by looking backward, but must be "lived" by looking forward.

Patty
Gidget

Quit Date:
March 14, 2008

PostPosted: June 1, 2008 10:05 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, true.
The Master Cleanse isn't something one can purchase, though. It's all stuff you buy at the store. Lemons, distilled water, maple syrup and cayenne pepper.
But, you are right, the kidneys have a function...
They must be working pretty hard to get all that stuff from 17yrs of smoking and eating meat out!!
Smile
Thanks.

-Elaine Maxwell
amy rose

Quit Date:
July 19, 2008

PostPosted: June 4, 2008 9:19 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder about the cleanse stuff too. I thought it might be a good idea after quiting. however I do agree that your body will do it on its own.
So maybe we should aide our bodies while we are cleaning out.
Drink a lot of water
stay away from salt
eat bran and veggies
exercise
sweat whenever you can
keep stress down

Good Luck everyone!

"Just keep swimming"
texas2step

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 4, 2008 10:45 AM    Post subject: a word of caution Reply with quote

I just would like to chime in here if I may. As a practicing herbalist of over 25 years I find such things as the mentioned cleanse thing scary and dangerous and many of them are pure bunk. Yes herbals are wonderful used properly and by all means we can cleanse our bodies of impurities but the key to these crazy diets and cleanse things is read all the information.

The Master Cleanse program explains that you'll have to "put back" some good bacteria once you've done this thing to your body. Beep, that ought to send a flag up for anyone. Don't do such things to your body. True herbalists add to the body's natural workings not take away.

Amy Rose nailed it - drink water, eat healthy, etc. You can add some herbals to your life like green tea which is marvelous for a body in stress. Herbal users use a broad variety of things to help build the body's own defenses and such.

The best herbal information in the US in my humble opnion is from Michael Tierra. His book The Ways of Herbs is amazing and I don't think I read anywhere in it that lemons and pancake syrup were of great benefit to the body. I grow many herbs and make my own ointment from comfrey and other herbs that people never hear about. I believe that herbs can be helpful in one's life because they are more natural than synthetic drugs - but one should never not realize that even herbs are dangerous when used improperly.

Moderation and healthy living and NOT SMOKING will help cleanse the body and a few herbal helps are nice too. Just be careful with these new wave ideas - many of them are so much baloney it scares the beejeebers outta me.

Texas

"You can't always have happiness, but you can always give happiness."
Anonymous

Quit: 8/14/06
Doggygirl

Quit Date:
February 26, 2007

PostPosted: June 4, 2008 7:18 PM    Post subject: Re: a word of caution Reply with quote

texas2step wrote:
I
The best herbal information in the US in my humble opnion is from Michael Tierra. His book The Ways of Herbs is amazing and I don't think I read anywhere in it that lemons and pancake syrup were of great benefit to the body. I grow many herbs and make my own ointment from comfrey and other herbs that people never hear about. I believe that herbs can be helpful in one's life because they are more natural than synthetic drugs - but one should never not realize that even herbs are dangerous when used improperly.

Texas

Thanks for including the name of the book you find most useful. I finally got a library card and I'm making a list of things I want to read. I've added this one!

DG

Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same. ~Francesca Reigler
Gidget

Quit Date:
March 14, 2008

PostPosted: June 4, 2008 11:44 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the responses. Texas, I didn't know that you are an herbalist. I feel so lucky to have esteemed input from someone who can also kick my a** if I screw up! I won't screw up, dear GOD I won't!!!
Seriously, thank you!
I orderded the book off of Amazon! (Libraries know I can't return on time, they smell me coming! I even write in the margins, I have no business borrowing books...until gas goes up another 20 cents....)
I feel as if I've been given a gift. The gift was a window of time during addiction that I felt enough clarity to see the truth in what I was doing to myself. I want to maximize the results of this clarity I feel. I want this journey to have positive effects on everything in my life. The coolest thing about woofmang is the ability to get answers to questions. I value all of the opinions. We uncover secret experts to boot!! Hooray!

Gidget

-Elaine Maxwell
texas2step

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 5, 2008 9:58 AM    Post subject: ah right..... Reply with quote

Well I don't classify myself as expert - just a practicing herbs and natural things "user" but I have tried to read about and understand how the herbals work. It's very interesting because before there were synthetic drugs there were ONLY herbs.... and many synthetics are simply based the same properties of the herbals used before they existed for the same ailments and such.

Anyway, when you tamper about with things it's always best to know what you're doing. I have known people who hurt themselves and their animals thinking well if it says use 1 teaspoon 2 would be twice as good.... that goes for any medicine or anything really - when it says 1 it means 1 not 2 or 3. Common sense but people are people.... -Wink

Anyway my husband calls me a "witch woman" so no secret expert here -Wink just someone who likes to use herbal things when I can. You'll enjoy the book even if you don't try or use most of what's in it. Especially the section on common household kitchen herbs and spices and their "other" uses.

Texas

"You can't always have happiness, but you can always give happiness."
Anonymous

Quit: 8/14/06
Doggygirl

Quit Date:
February 26, 2007

PostPosted: June 6, 2008 6:54 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

[rant]
And why do we need synthetics to "mimic" what nature already provides???

Because we can't patent nature!! But we can patent sythetic stuff!!!

(can you tell I'm not enamored with the current state of our health care system - oops I mean sick care system in the US today?????

[/rant]

Thank you for letting me vent.

DG

Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same. ~Francesca Reigler
Gidget

Quit Date:
March 14, 2008

PostPosted: June 6, 2008 7:34 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doggy, I am 100% in agreement on that one!
Gidget

-Elaine Maxwell
Snowlover

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 7, 2008 11:38 AM    Post subject: Herbs & Nutrition Reply with quote

Hi,
This conversation reminds me of the "blue man" from Oregon that was recently on TV. He had been doctoring himself with that silver stuff and it turned him blue through and through, permanently. Best to know what you are doing.

I've always been interested in "natural stuff" but then figured that I smoked so what was the use of trying to do food and herbs right if I was ruining my body with cigarettes.

Right now I am eating so much and all the wrong things, I feel like a blimp. Think I've gained 15 pounds in the last four months of not smoking.
I crave fat and sugar instead of nicotine.

So, yesterday I bought salad, vegetables and fruit only and sugarless candy. I know if I just get off all the junk that I will stop craving it.

My body is really tired and I know a lot of it is what I'm eating.

Kaye
Rusty

Quit Date:
December 13, 2004

PostPosted: June 7, 2008 1:40 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaye, I can relate. It is very difficult for me to stop eating sugar. If I eat even one piece of candy, I will keep going back and back and back. I'm wondering if anyone has tried any of the programs like Sugarbusters or Potato Not Prozac?

Rusty

The Buddha says: Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.
Snowlover

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 7, 2008 6:18 PM    Post subject: Food Choices Reply with quote

I just googled those and read some about them. I was interested in Tryptophan and it's natural food sources.
I also have the book "What Color is Your Diet?". More good tips on eating healthy.

There is so much 'hidden' sugar in foods these days that just eliminating the obvious cake, cookies & candy isn't enough. Everything processed has sugar. That's the principle behind "Sugarbusters" basically, it seems.

I've eaten low-fat for a long time until lately - never worried about sugar much because I really didn't have a problem with sweets. Now I have problems with both.

I'll write down what I eat, that will help me stay on track.

Thanks Rusty for helping me think more about my food choices.
Kaye
Gidget

Quit Date:
March 14, 2008

PostPosted: June 8, 2008 7:29 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
I write everything down. It gives me a real understanding of what I am consuming. I was very very good about food choices before, but when I quit smoking, everything changed. In addition to a lot of exercise, I've decided to pay attention to each choice and when and why I make them. It's definitely helpful!
Gidget

-Elaine Maxwell
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: