quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Weight
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > staying quit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marg

Quit Date:
October 10, 2008

PostPosted: October 30, 2008 8:23 PM    Post subject: Weight Reply with quote

Well so far so good, I have been reading alot about peoples experiences with champix and thought i will tell mine, as now i have been on it for 5 weeks.

Nausea, its the worst I have ever had, it got worse instead of better lasted at least 4 hrs, and nothing helped, changed what i ate, how i took it etc so many times, so now i take half in morn and full dose at night im fine.
Sleeping is the best its ever been, in fact at times i fall asleep so easy, i dose off at my desk Very Happy (another reason to cut the morning dose)

Now to the name of my post, weight, Crying or Very sad I have always been weight conscious, so am less than impressed that i have put on weight, it might only be a few pounds but to me that matters, (Its all around the tummy)I have always exercised and gone to gym, I cant work it out, Yes i eat more because i eat breakfast now, but i thought that was good for you Sad , and the only extra i eat during the day is fruit, so if anyone has any help for me, please tell me.
nicfirth

Quit Date:
July 17, 2008

PostPosted: October 30, 2008 9:03 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the point of view of health the extra weight is not significant when compared to the benefits of quitting smoking, but I'm guessing you know that. While it is sensible to watch your weight during quitting I think it is probably better to deal with one thing at a time. Tackle the weight after the quit.

Since metabolism slows when you quit you don't need to take in as many calories a day as you used to, so in addition to what you are already doing look at portion size, eating little and often and not eating too late at night.

Good luck with it, and without smoking that exercise will be easier.
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: October 30, 2008 11:48 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marg - Keep that lovely quit going!! The weight will work itself out. I saw a study somewhere - it said you'd have to gain more than 100 pouonds for the weight gain to be as damaging to your health as continuing to smoke - so keep that quit going - and know that if you keep working at the weight - your body will cooperate - maybe not quickly - but be persistent. And don't let anyone tell you that gaining is inevitable...I quit over four years ago - and I've lost over 100 pounds since I quit. You CAN do it!!!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 31, 2008 12:16 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marg,

Know how you feel. The weight part bothered me also. I'm vain! Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing But really, it does come off. Just give it a little time. Yeah, you may have to deal and cope with a few extra pounds for just a little while, but it will come off down the road. Just don't let it become an excuse to smoke. Here's why...you know during one of my early quits, I gained weight and was bothered by it. And one day after being upset, etc, I had the great revelation...well, if smoking helped keep weight down, then going back would help lose it. Yeah, right Laughing Laughing Laughing Talk about twisted thinking Shocked Guess what...started back smoking...and DIDN'T lose the weight. Backfire!!

Breakfast is good. It helps to jump start the metabolism for the day. Eat it within an hour of waking. Also, as suggested eat smaller portions more often, and watch what you eat. That fruit....yep, it's good for you, but it also contains fruitose(sp?)...a sugar, that packs on the pounds. I made this mistake too only with fruit juices. Try more vegetables instead like carrots, celery, bell peppers, salads, etc. Avoid any thing white...white bread, rice, potatoes...instead go with whole grain breads, brown rice, and sweet potatoes. Plus drink plenty of water. The exercise...just stay at it...it will begin to even itself out. Just be patient.

Glad to hear that the dosage adjustment helped with the nausea. Very Happy

The weight will adjust...just take it a step at a time.

Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
chilly101

Quit Date:
October 10, 2008

PostPosted: October 31, 2008 10:00 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

at what stage in your quit did you start to notice weight gain?
Ive noticed im definetly eating more , I finish my dinner and i immediately look for fruit or a biscuit!!!...prefer biscuit Smile
im hoping i can work off those biscuits!!!
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 31, 2008 10:23 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chilly,

Noticed it early in the quit when I was eating too much Rolling Eyes

It's very natural that you are looking for a fruit or biscuit after dinner. What is happening is the body is looking for a signal that the meal is complete. In the past, the signal was having a cigarette after dinner. Which when one smokes it releases or forces the feeding of our blood sugar. There is a definite process here with what it does to the blood sugar...I'll have to look up the link and post it. Here's the link: "Minimizing the Most Common Side Effects to Quitting Smoking"
http://www.msnusers.com/FreedomFromTobaccoQuitSmokingNow/myfirstpost1.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=65741 Anyway, the fruit or biscuit is becoming the signal for you now. That's why there is dessert at the end of a meal...a sweet to signal the ending of it. Personally, I have a cup of coffee after eating as a signal. To help keep the weight off seek out an alternative that doesn't pack on the pounds. Any type of signal will work. Some actually instead of eating, push away the plate, fold napkin and place sliverware across the plate. Anything that acts as a signal that is repeated after each meal will work.

Also, be aware both of you, that sometimes the urge for a cigarette will mock wanting to eat. Maybe this stems from the hand to mouth association with smoking. Whatelse fits this?....yep, hand to mouth feeding ourselves. Laughing Essie mentioned using a straw...I used a small cinnamon stick the same way. It fits the hand perfectly, won't spoil or go bad, and the cinnamon actually helps to regulate the blood sugar. Either one will work as a way to adjust temporarily for overcoming the hand-mouth connection. Also, a good deep breathing will ease some of the same. It's all part of those adjustments....creating the new you. Smile

Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
chilly101

Quit Date:
October 10, 2008

PostPosted: October 31, 2008 11:03 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Seabrez
Quote:
instead of eating, push away the plate, fold napkin and place sliverware across the plate

I much prefer my biscuit!!!
Its intrestring to know why the body craves such a thing ...didnt know my biscuit wanting was so complex Smile thought i was just being greedy!
I dont feel ready to give up my biscuit just yet....maybe when ive put on quite a bit of weight and my body isnt the temple its should be Smile ...then il'll address my biscuit issue!!
Im just happy that it doesnt involve lighting up a cigarette !
I have noticed i have been thinking about snacking alot....i tend to keep nuts and raisins nearby for this...really enjoy them!!
I find myself savouring the taste of food at present , things i would just eat im now actually tasting it.
Went out for a meal lastnight , ordered Mussels in white wine sauce to start and then got steak as my main.....dont know if the chef was just great or its the fact that im enjoying food more but would have to say it was one of the nicest meals ive had.
Noticed the smell of the smokers as they came in and out the resturaunt ...yuk!!! Would anyone here have their starter and then go for a smoke then come in and eat their main?...i was thinking bout this lastnight ....how can you enjoy that food with the taste of cigarettes .
O.k time for me to stop talking bout food!!!! this could end up longer than war and peace!!
nicfirth

Quit Date:
July 17, 2008

PostPosted: October 31, 2008 11:20 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

chilly101 wrote:
I have noticed i have been thinking about snacking alot....i tend to keep nuts and raisins nearby for this...really enjoy them!!

You're not fooling anybody with this healthy snack idea we all know you mean

Laughing
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 31, 2008 11:26 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chilly Very Happy

Quote:
I much prefer my biscuit!!!
Laughing Laughing Laughing Can't say that I blame you Wink Laughing

Oh...your meal last evening sounds absolutely wonderful Smile The taste of food is so wonderful. Especially what you had....seafood and steak...yep, tops the favorites list here too. Matter of fact, have some fish in the freezer hubby caught, and making some fish cakes for supper sounds good. Thanks Chilly for the idea and inspiration for dinner tonight. Wink Laughing

Here's to the enjoyment of eating...or rather tasting and savoring! Cool

Big Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 31, 2008 11:30 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Good one Nic!

Living in Freedom
Deb

chilly101

Quit Date:
October 10, 2008

PostPosted: October 31, 2008 12:44 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Nic.....lol!
Ive been busted!!
Infact you have totally put me in the mood for one of them !!! You should go into marketing Nic!
First rule of marketing ...target the weak!!

I love my seafood also Seabrez any seafood for me .... and with regards the Steak ...lastnights is the first time ive had it cooked medium ...ive always been a well done man! I know well done is the wrong way to eat steak...and have been preached to so many times about this....but took the plunge lastnight and wont be going back to well done!
Food food food .....
Have to say something also...im finding spicy things spicier ...im sure this is definetly down to the quit!!!
Ive also noticed through this thread that im becoming more passionate about food ..oh dear!
Although If previously i was given a choice between eating and smoking ...i would have chose smoking everytime ....I would have always made sure i had cigarettes before anything else. I have in the past missed meals so i could smoke!!
How bad is that!!
nicfirth

Quit Date:
July 17, 2008

PostPosted: October 31, 2008 1:00 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that I enjoy more flavours than I used to, but I have also found that some of the "cheap" foods I used to buy taste horrible.
chilly101

Quit Date:
October 10, 2008

PostPosted: October 31, 2008 1:11 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have found that I enjoy more flavours than I used to, but I have also found that some of the "cheap" foods I used to buy taste horrible.

well now ya aint smoking you can afford the tasty tasting foods Smile
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 31, 2008 1:44 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chilly...missing meals Shocked ...I was the worst. No breakfast, rarely lunch, and just dinner. I would have a little piece of cheese or maybe a nibble of something mid morning, but other than that....it was strictly a coffee and cigarette diet till dinner. Rolling Eyes Thought, it was me just being too busy to eat, but, nah, it was the cigarettes.

I hear you about the seafood...love it...all kinds. Steak..well, I'm guilty of the med-well. I can do medium, but prefer it a little more done. Food is wonderful...yes, it is...now that I am actually able to taste it. You know what ever is very surprising to me...beer! In the past most were about the same to me, but now...oh my goodness, can I tell a difference. That and wine also. It really just pops...the flavors and different essences. And I hear ya, Nic. That and some of the fast foods....oh my...tastes like nothing at all...just blah..ugh! I did have one weakness that I splurged on when first quitting...Starbucks, mocha cappicino (sp?)...yummy! But, at about $4-5 a pop...that got a little pricey. So, now for a little treat now and then, I like Burger King's Iced mocha joe ($2 vs $4-5)...ordered with very little ice. It has a malt flavor to it...and I'm a malt person. Love chocolate malts...heavy on the malt! Very Happy

Ok...I'm rambling...and making myself hungry. Which at my age, can be a dangerous thing to eat too much...the pounds tend to stick alot easier, and come off harder. Shocked Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing I envy guys....you all can seem to eat and eat and it doesn't affect you as much. That and a little overweight guy isn't as bad as an overweight gal. Laughing Laughing Oh well! Rolling Eyes Very Happy

Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Kissimee

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 3, 2008 5:18 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed my smell is completely different...I guess that clears up first???? But today, we had Subway for lunch...it was good, I tried the new sandwich --chicken, provolone, pepperoni, and marinara sauce. (not the best choice but it was different and I wanted different)

Anyway...I smelt that marinara all afternoon and it drove me crazy! So I would have to say my nose is going crazy right now

but like all here, I'm worried about the weight....but you can only fight off one croc at a time!

I can NOT control the addiction because if I could, it would NOT be an addiction...BUT I can control ME, the addict.
~Tracy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > staying quit All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: