quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A Change of Beliefs by Neil Anderson - A Devotional

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > inspirations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 1, 2008 6:49 AM    Post subject: A Change of Beliefs by Neil Anderson - A Devotional Reply with quote

Last evening I made a post in the Staying Quit forum titled Automatic Thoughts on the connection between our beliefs and our thought process http://quit-smoking-support.woofmang.com/viewtopic.php?t=10576

Then this morning, lo and behold, what is the first thing I go to read...this devotional with the theme of changing of beliefs. (Ya think God is trying to say something here! Wink Very Happy )

The last paragraph says: Too often we try to change our behavior without changing our beliefs. It doesn't work that way. We must change our beliefs before we can make significant changes in our behavior.

So, here we have the same principle coming from two different sources....one through faith aspect and the other through the medical aspect. Both state the same...it's all within the scope of our beliefs.

You are a non-smoker now....believe it, embrace it, and live in it!
Stay quit friends!

Hugs!

Daily in Christ 11/1
by Neil Anderson
http://www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist/
(please note: the devotional at this link changes daily. If you would like to access this exact devotional, it will be necessary to scroll to the bottom of the website page and look in the archives for his devotional for 11/1 )

November 1

A CHANGE OF BELIEFS
Ephesians 2:4, 5
God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us . . . made us alive together in Christ

Twenty-three-year-old Jenny was a pretty Christian young woman with a seemingly pleasant personality. She had loving parents and came from a good church. But she was torn up inside, having never experienced anything but a depressive life. She had bombed out of college and was on the verge of being fired from her job. She had suffered from eating disorders for several years and medical treatment for her problems seemed futile.

I was in the midst of planning an intensive one-month spiritual retreat for some of our seminary students, and somehow I knew that Jenny needed to be there even though she wasn't a seminary student. I invited her, and to my surprise, she agreed to attend.

Shortly after we arrived, I sat down with Jenny privately. "I didn't invite you here to change your behavior, Jenny," I said. "Your behavior isn't your problem."

"I've always been told that my behavior is my problem," she answered, looking a little surprised at my statement.

"I'm not worried about your behavior. It's your beliefs I'm interested in. I'm praying that you will change your beliefs about God and who you are in Christ. You're not a failure. You are a child of God, no better and no worse than any other person at this retreat. I want you to start believing it because it's the truth."

For the first time in her life Jenny had been affirmed as the person of value to God that she was. And she began to believe it. During the next 30 days, a miraculous transformation took place in Jenny. Her circumstances didn't change, but she did.

Too often we try to change our behavior without changing our beliefs. It doesn't work that way. We must change our beliefs before we can make significant changes in our behavior. Nothing will change your behavior more than a true knowledge of God and who you are as His child.

Prayer:

Father in heaven, what a liberating privilege it is to call You my Father and realize that I am Your child.

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > inspirations All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: