quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

DETERMINED TO QUIT!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jennifer32327

Quit Date:
November 23, 2004

PostPosted: June 11, 2004 1:46 PM    Post subject: DETERMINED TO QUIT!!!!! Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I thought I would write a little post and let you guys know how I am doing. I have pretty much kept to myself this week and posted here and there. I have been conversating with a another person here a lot and that has helped me a great deal! I AM DETERMINED TO QUIT!!! OR CONTINUE NOT TO SMOKE I SHOULD SAY! This week I have be going through spells of hours or a day and not smoking and then at work I will go outside and people were smoking so I took a couple of drags. It didn't even help matters. It actually makes it worse! Then last night I went to a friends house and she smokes and we were having a couple of drinks and......you guessed it "I smoked" Well when I went to bed my cest hurt really bad, like I couldn't breath and I am 25 yrs old. That doesn't happen to a 25 yr old! Also, today I am having a hard time breathing and my chest still hurts a little bit. Well, that scared the HELL out of me! Maybe I needed that to happen so I could see how important it is to me to quit! I have been smoke free for 8 1/2 hours now and still going strong. Next week I will NOT leave my desk and I wil keep my fingers on this keyboard! Sorry so long......I just wanted to touch base and let all you wonderful smokefree friends know! I AM DETERMINED TO QUIT!!!! I may post sometimes and sound werid or upset but we know it's just the name of the game. I will lock myself in my house this weekend or keep myself busy with my daughter or get on this computer and post, post, post!!! This is going to be the most important thing in my life right now to do!!! I AM READY Laughing Demon BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!! Thanks everyone for listening, I hope all is well with everyone! I will talk with you soon!

8 hours 45min. FREE

Cool Cool

Jennifer,

Keep your heart open to dreams for
as long as there is dream there is hope
and as long as there is hope
there is joy in living!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
alison

Quit Date:
June 3, 2003

PostPosted: June 11, 2004 1:50 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay Jennifer you can do this. I am so happy everytime I see you post because I know if you keep trying you will succeed.

Keep busy the demon can't tempt you if he can't catch you. Be sure and be extra gentle with yourself. Don't take on any responsibilities and repeat after me "I'm sorry, I didn't mean that, I just quit smoking" You will find out who your friends are by the folks who will stand by you through this horrible time. It will suck but you can do this,

I wish you peace.

alison
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 11, 2004 2:20 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jennifer, stay away from those outside smokers! I didn't drink at all for the first few weeks, and pretty much keep myself away from temptation (not hard to do when you don't go out much anyway!), and especially friends who were heavy smokers. One who is long distance...well, I don't even talk to her much now....mostly because I explained to her that I could hear her light up and smoking over the phone....and because I know I preach to her and only talk about quitting. So, she's probably avoiding me deliberately.

Know what? It's OK because I know myself, and what will weaken me. You have to do the same thing, too. Do not put yourself in situations that will doom you to failure at the start. And, I think you are the perfect candidate for Kevin's no fail stop smoking plan...the two step plan....look it up in the "tales"!

Go girl, this is the keeper!

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
Rbns567

Quit Date:
May 18, 2004

PostPosted: June 11, 2004 4:18 PM    Post subject: Hey Jennifer Reply with quote

Hi Jennifer you keep it up and continue to stay quit your doing so very well, I know its not easy but think of the positives..fresh air, live longer and healthier, more money..your worth it!..Ros Very Happy

previously rosspink
jkolako796

Quit Date:
May 16, 2004

PostPosted: June 11, 2004 5:10 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is obvious that you are using each relapse as a learning situation. Remember what caused you to slip so that you can avoid it in the future. You don't have to give up your friends permanently, just avoid those situations that have caused relapse until you can deal with it.

Remember- smoking one or two cigs a day is harder on you than not smoking at all! It is maintaining your addiction while not ingesting enough to sate it. Just take it one crave at a time and avoid temptation and you will be able to do this!

Joshua

I have been quit for 3 Weeks, 5 Days, 16 hours, 9 minutes and 18 seconds (26 days). I have saved $120.02 by not smoking 800 cigarettes. I have saved 2 Days, 18 hours and 40 minutes of my life.

Someone who thinks logically provides a nice contrast to the real world.
tsjay49

Quit Date:
January 1, 2004

PostPosted: June 11, 2004 5:30 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this is NOT the best way for you to do it, Jennifer, but it's the way I did it. I kept cigarettes available throughout the early weeks of my quit. In previous attempts, as soon as I would find myself around someone who was smoking, I would bum one and smoke it. I guess I got confused or something and thought the reason I wasn't smoking was because I didn't have any, so an opportunity to bum one was too good to pass up.

Keeping cigarettes around goes against everything the "experts" teach you, but it worked for me. Sometimes we just have to find our own way, I guess.

Jennifer, by having cigarettes available, I realized that it was by conscious choice that I was not smoking and not just because cigarettes were not available.

Now, I did not keep cigs and lighter in my pockets, but I had them in my Jeep and in my truck, and I had the pack that I was working on when I quit sitting there on my computer desk all the time (plus a couple unopened cartons in the same room... I used to be PARANOID about running out of smokes, so I always had some fresh cartons around). So, if I had chosen to smoke after beginning my quit, it would have been no problem to get a cig. But, I was CHOOSING NOT to smoke, and having them around just reminded me that I was making the choice.

I know that sounds stupid and risky, and maybe it is not the way for you to go, but if all else fails, try it sometime.

Good luck! Hang tough!

Tom

No more in 04!

If a person with Multiple Personality Disorder threatens suicide, is that considered a hostage situation?
Tammy

Quit Date:
February 16, 2004

PostPosted: June 11, 2004 5:48 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jennifer, I know you can do this. Very Happy You come and post, post, post all you want, we'll be here. Very Happy

Tammy
Free and loving it!
Jelli

Quit Date:
May 30, 2004

PostPosted: June 11, 2004 6:10 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are with you Jennifer- you can do this!!! I really admire your determination and your resiliance- the really important thing is that you keep trying and with your determination you WILL get there.

So take care of you this weekend!!!! Keep your list of reasons handy and your list of "other" things to do- and don't let your friends talk you into going out for a drink since you know it is one of your triggers. Do things that really distract you and things that you enjoy!!

Also to Tom- I did the exact same thing when I quit! I read all the business about throwing out the ashtrays and cigarettes- and I didn't follow that advice either. Just like you said, I absolutely would not say that this is the right thing for every body-but it was definately the right thing for me. I didn't do it exactly the same way you did- but the same principal was behind it. We have this wide cabinet in our utility room that is full of junk- a bunch of old sporting equiptment of my husbands and other stuff that we haven't touched since we moved here. I'm actually scared of the area because we live in a rural area and I know there have to be spiders in there. When I quit- I took the last 1/2 pack that I had and threw it all the way in the back of this cabinet. That way- it wasn't easy for me to get to them so I would definately have to weigh the spiders vs cigs thing- but at the same time I could know that I wasn't smoking because I quit- not because there were no cigarettes here. I felt like it was very important for me to be in control of this quit - and I felt that if I had the cigarettes in the same house as me but chose not to go get them and smoke them- that I was in control of the situation. I also felt like I might be panicky that there weren't anyhere- and make myself think i needed one when I didn't -just because I didn't have one. I think this aspect has been a very important one in my quit although I don't think it would work for a lot of people. I was interested to read that you did the same thing- I wonder how many other people do this?

Jennifer- I'm not at all recommending that you do this- only you know you and what will help you. If you find that you sort of spontaneosly relapse- and do it sort of impulsively- like maybe you did when you went outside with your friends that smoke- it might be a really bad idea in fact!
bwick18

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 11, 2004 6:32 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you Jennifer! Keep that determination. Fight it one crave at a time. 72 hours will pass- You can do this. So great that you have not been discouraged! NTAP
Barbara - Free and Healing for Eight Days, 18 Hours and 36 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 16 Hours, by avoiding the use of 193 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $28.97.

Barb
After the rain comes the rainbow- I will get my rainbow back
tsjay49

Quit Date:
January 1, 2004

PostPosted: June 11, 2004 6:48 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jelli:

COOL! I didn't know anyone else did it my crazy way. Smile

I think part of it has to do with something that is not available becoming even more desirable. For example, if you went for a walk on a hot day and took some water with you, you might not even take a sip. But, if you took the same walk and had no water with you, your mind might have convinced you that you were just dying for a drink.

Different strokes for different folks, huh, Jelli?

For Pete's sake, if you have a good quit going, then don't go get any cigs, but if you keep getting off to false starts, then it might be something to consider.

Tom

I have been quit for 5 Months, 1 Week, 3 Days, 19 hours and 18 minutes (162 days). I have saved $610.51 by not smoking 4,884 cigarettes. I have saved 2 Weeks, 2 Days and 23 hours of my life.

If a person with Multiple Personality Disorder threatens suicide, is that considered a hostage situation?
mikegeorge

Quit Date:
May 30, 2004

PostPosted: June 12, 2004 9:09 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jennifer, do you really want to quit? If you break down after a quite a few days or a few weeks then I think I can understand that better than a few hours. I mean, going to a friends house who smokes for a few drinks when you're at the very start of a quit is obviously not going to make a hard situation any easier.

Work out if you really do want to quit and why. If the reasons and the desire are sound and strong enough then you should be able to do better with your quit than a few hours. There are a lot of people on this site who are willing to give endless support and encouragement but I think you just take advantage of that if you don't sort out what your motivations are and make a solid effort at keeping to your goal.

Good luck with your quit and I hope you do come here when you need the support.
jennifer32327

Quit Date:
November 23, 2004

PostPosted: June 12, 2004 11:41 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I disagree with you Mike! I also quit for more than a couple of hours it was more like 10 20 hours. I know I want to QUIT. I am not taking advantage of anyone here. I told poeple I didn't want to post until I was over my one week. Well everyone told me they want me to post and it's good to post. I am not the type of person to take advantage of any situation. Yes, I make mistakes and put my self in situations that I don't relize until it's over. I have never tried to quit in my 11 years of smoking until now. Cut me some slack! And from whan I am told very few people quit on the first try. I don't like the fact that you think you can judge me and that I am taking advantage of people and this site. Everybody's quit is different and some are easy and some are hard. I thank you for your post so you could share your feelings, but I disagree, you are not me!

I have been quit for 1 Day, 11 hours, 41 minutes and 14 seconds (1 days). I have saved $5.94 by not smoking 29 cigarettes. I have saved 2 hours and 25 minutes of my life.

Jennifer,

there is joy in living!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
mikegeorge

Quit Date:
May 30, 2004

PostPosted: June 12, 2004 6:25 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I really do hope you make it Jennifer as I said and I think you'll get a lot of support and advice on this forum. Good luck with it.
jennifer32327

Quit Date:
November 23, 2004

PostPosted: June 12, 2004 8:57 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANK YOU MIKE

I have been quit for 1 Day, 20 hours, 46 minutes and 35 seconds (1 days). I have saved $7.46 by not smoking 37 cigarettes. I have saved 3 hours and 5 minutes of my life.

Cool Cool

Jennifer,

there is joy in living!
Jelli

Quit Date:
May 30, 2004

PostPosted: June 12, 2004 9:01 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jennifer-

You are doing great!!!!

Cathy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: