quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Newbie Here - Have not quit yet?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dianne

Quit Date:
June 21, 2009

PostPosted: December 30, 2008 5:41 PM    Post subject: Newbie Here - Have not quit yet? Reply with quote

I hate smoking! I hate what it can do, I hate that I continue to do it day after day, week after week, always planning a quit and never actually getting one.. I am once again looking for the strength to do this. I signed up here today as the first step, a place to go for support. Second step, is picking a day!! I am tired of feeling like a loser for not being in control of smoking. I am tired of being a smoker!
Kissimee

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 30, 2008 6:27 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Dianne....You're not a loser...Losers don't come to this website. Very Happy

You have taken a step in the right direction...I would also suggest you go to Freedom from Smoking website, work through the program, get a quit buddy, and pick a date.

You can do this...You will succeed...and We'll be here for you the whole time.

Congratulations on your decision to quit polluting yourself.

Tracy

I can NOT control the addiction because if I could, it would NOT be an addiction...BUT I can control ME, the addict.
~Tracy

nicfirth

Quit Date:
July 17, 2008

PostPosted: December 30, 2008 6:39 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there and welcome,

As you say, set a date, and get stuck in. The FFS online program is excellent and can be found in the Links section at the top.

The addiction is part physical and part psychological, and its the latter that is the toughest to crack. If you can get the right mindset, where quitting is a positive thing rather than a sacrifice and that cigarettes are are evil not forbidden fruit then you will find it easier.

Post often to let us know how you are getting on or whenever you need a bit of advice or support.

You really can do this, I promise!

Best wishes

Nic

Dianne

Quit Date:
June 21, 2009

PostPosted: December 30, 2008 6:52 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!!!! WOW! I am not sure what came over me today. But I came here! Stopped lurking, joined, posted and went to FFS and signed up. I want this but I am so scared! But I am so sick and tired of thinking about smoking and quitting. I know the work is on me, and I know I cannot do it alone, I am looking forward to finding my way to freedom..

The FFS told me to pick a day 3 weeks from now, that would be Jan 20. So I guess I have my quit date. Weird that seems so far away and so near, all at the same time!!!

Happy to meet you all !!!
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: December 30, 2008 7:41 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're on the right track. With the FFS program and Woofmang you're well on the trail to freedom. Stay close to these boards; post as often as you want and read, read, read. Quitting isn't easy but it certainly is possible and positively well worth going through the tough times to get there. I just love breathing and so will you.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
pinkpearl

Quit Date:
June 30, 2007

PostPosted: December 30, 2008 9:09 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

visit often.
wonder people here that
give great advise.
I credit my quit to this board.
18 months free and counting!!!
yay for me Wink

My avatars name is moon ray
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: December 30, 2008 11:51 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dianne - welcome to Woofmang! Congrats on your decision to take your first steps to freedom! Make a list of your reasons for quitting...work the FFS program - it works!! And support...its an important part of quitting - you don't have to go it alone! And only other quitters really understand!

Go for it!!! You CAN quit....

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 31, 2008 1:05 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the site, dianne! scared is ok; we were all there once or twice... Wink

you found the two things that are key to a successful quit: support and education. follow the ffs program as if your life depended on it, stick with us, and you'll do fine. i smoked for 35 years, and quit too many times to count. ffs is the program that finally did it for me, and i've never seen it fail, except when somebody just didn't take it seriously enough.

you can do this! Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Elarya

Quit Date:
November 18, 2008

PostPosted: December 31, 2008 2:24 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the site!

All of my smoking years, I was saddened by the thought "I will never be able to quit." I would then not even think about it because I felt helpless.

Everyone always says "You need to want to quit before you can quit for anyone else." Yeah, that may be true, but I think think a big part of that simple statement is missing. My thoughts on quitting were kind of skewed, at best.

I think of quitting like smoking. Smoking, you have your fuel, you have your cigarette, and you light it. Same thing with quitting.

I see quitting like this.. My kids are my fuel, the support forum, friends, and family keep the fire burning, even when my energy is low.. but ultimately, I am the one that lights that fire - the fire of life Smile

You have 2 parts... your reasons, and the forum here, and what other venues you have for support to keep your quite alive and running.. Now you just need to choose your day.

Just keep reciting your reasons and that will help fuel your quit, keep seeking out support here and everywhere and that will keep the fire from going out.
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: December 31, 2008 7:50 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Diane. There's no time like the present to quit. You Can Do It!

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Dianne

Quit Date:
June 21, 2009

PostPosted: December 31, 2008 10:55 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I woke up today and felt an inner strength, just knowing I am making the first step toward putting this addiction behind me. My goal right now is to commit to the program and all its steps, no matter how silly they may seem. I was reading some of your posts and tired a new beginning to my morning. I did not allow myself my morning smoke with coffee. I must say this will be one I miss alot. I had my coffee, did some chores, showered and just kept putting off going outside. Amazingly enough 2 hours went by. I started my morning without a fix and I survived it!! I know it is a very small step but it is at least a step. I am going to go do my next lesson at FFS.

Thank you to all of you for the warm welcome. I truly believe for the first time if I really want this and am willing to do the work I will find my freedom.
Kissimee

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 31, 2008 11:02 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dianne....You are going in the right direction!!!

Putting off a smoke now when you want it the most will do nothing but help you when you do put them down completely!

Way to go!!!!

I can NOT control the addiction because if I could, it would NOT be an addiction...BUT I can control ME, the addict.
~Tracy

erickg23

Quit Date:
February 6, 2012

PostPosted: December 31, 2008 11:19 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all let me say CONGRATS DIANNE!!!!

Like most of us on this message bored we never quit our first time trying. It took a few times, but we always wanted to quit. It sounds as if youve all ready are picking things to take out of your life to not smoke.

I will say this its easy to say I dont want a cig when you just had one cause you have that nicotine in your system. Once its out your like give me, give me, give me!!! So be strong!!!!

I just want to be honest with you get ready for a life change. Going to bars, being with friends, at work with co-workers, even driving in your car! All these things will be very tough to over come not smoking. And in no time once you get past all that you will feel SO PROUD of your self cause you have controled something that has been controling you.

Keep us up to date on your progress and DONT PICK New Years Day as your quit date. I can't TELL you how many times I quit on NY's and it never worked. Here's an idea...

Pick a Monday. That way you have the weekend to get it our of your system and Mondays at work are always busy so you will be distracted in smoking. So pick Monday morning and when you wake up you say I WILL NOT HAVE A CIG TODAY I QUIT!

Good Luck,

Erick

Peace & Love, Peace & Love

Erick
Dianne

Quit Date:
June 21, 2009

PostPosted: December 31, 2008 2:23 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again Thanks. I have some real challenges in front of me. I know this!! I am a public closet smoker. I only smoke when I am at home and in front of my husband. For me the biggest challenge is ME!!! When we have people over for a night, I do not smoke, when we go away for a weekend I only smoke if I get a moment alone or I sneak out late in the night or early in the morning. I do not smoke when I am at work. It proves to me how alot of this addiction is choice and is mental!!! I know smokers smell, so I do not even go and sneak one if I am at work, I do not want anyone to know that I am a smoker. As soon as I know I will not be around other people or I am going home then it is open season and I became Miss Pufferson!!! PUFF PUFF PUFF!!! When I try to just QUIT. I go a little crazy.... It is such a vicious cycle. Anyway enough about me..... I am going to take this one step at a time. I have had some successful quits (months anyway) and I know it does start to feel great and it does get easier...I am taking this one step and one day at a time!!! Thanks for all your kind words... Support is key!!! I know that too!!!
Dianne

Quit Date:
June 21, 2009

PostPosted: December 31, 2008 2:29 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and my quit date is Jan 20. FFS told me to choose a day 3 weeks away and so I did. I do not want this to be a New Years Resolution. I want this to be a LIFE RESOLUTION!!! I am off to do my assignment... Comparing my two choices.... To smoke or not to smoke.... Have a great New Years Everyone!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: