quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Some honest input about Chantix please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gabrielle

Quit Date:
October 14, 2008

PostPosted: October 22, 2008 10:21 PM    Post subject: Some honest input about Chantix please Reply with quote

Hi all! This is my 9th day- yeah! I am taking chantix and have some questions. I do not know if my body is still going through withdrawal or if this totally bizarro stuff that is happening is from the med. I have not slept a full night in a few nights. Last night I did not sleep, literally, at all. It is pretty disturbing. Last night was the worst- I laid there and it felt screwed up, like I had a high fever (ya' know how you feel all funky and think wierd things when you have a fever?). Is it possible this is from quitting 9 days ago, or is this the medication? It is pretty terrible. I actually don't even want to go to bed tonight. Has anyone else had these screwed up experiences? I do not know how to pull apart what might be withdrawal (which doesn't make sense because doesn't that last around 72 hours?) and what might be the medication (all these funky uncomfortable symptoms are listed as side effects). I guess I am answering my own question here, but anyone's input would be much appreciated. I am feeling really nuts here!
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 22, 2008 10:45 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've never taken chantix, so i don't have any first-hand experience, and i don't want to guess. i know other members are taking it (or have taken it), and i'm sure one or more of them will chime in here with their experiences.

congratulations on your first 9 days of freedom! Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 23, 2008 6:17 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gabrielle,

Lack of sleep is so frustrating all by itself, let alone coupled with the other issues also. Sounds like you have answered your own question....all the side effects are listed...and maybe looking for support in that you may fear going without the med to stay quit.

Like Kevin, I haven't ever taken the chantix. What I do know, is that many have reported very uncomfortable side effects from it, and have choosen to stop it because of those side effects and the way it made them feel.

Just want to encourage you if you do decide to stop the meds. The meds may have helped, but one way or another, the meds will come to an ending point, and you will be quit just you and nothing else. It's the same with any med or NRT...there comes a point in time when it's just you staying quit. The hand holder is gone. Fact is....those hand holders we use, are just temporary with the purpose of helping us to gain the confidence we need to stay quit. And that you already have within you!!! You have everything you need to stay quit, even without the meds. It's all the choice made within the heart and mind to keep the freedom going.

I can just hear the deceiver whispering right now...thoughts of what if I stop the meds and can't do it on my own, quitting is too hard to do it without something to help, etc. Fact is...you aren't getting any sleep which is weaken your physical body, which in turn may weaken the resolve. Most relapses happen when we are weak in one way or another...like hungry, angry, lonely, or tried...emotional distresed, just plain worn out and tried of fighting. Believe in your heart, that you will stay quit whether you continue the use of the chantix or not. You are on day 9....YES, the system is cleared of the nicotine. You don't want to go back for any reason. What you are facing right now in the quit are the moments of reconditioning, and those are all mentally choosen moments where you decide either to go with the old manners and ways to light up that have been established over a period of time of smoking, or to decline those old ways and establish new ways to live....and that's simply accomplished by not smoking and just living through the moment. Wink It renews, reprograms, breaks the old way, and establishes within the mind the new way of no dependence on smoking. That, yes, one does live quite nicely without lighting up. It is a process and it's done just one moment or urge at a time. And with each, the new life is being established and strengthened. And those moments become weaker and fewer apart.

So, meds or not....that's the whole process with deciding and recognizing and living without smoking. No magic pill, or formula...just a simple choice and decision made on your part not to partake of the addiction. Emotions, feelings, and such are temporary....they do pass and change. The key is not to let those dictate your response and choice, but to choose on the basis of the truth...which is just this....once smoked, the addiction is active again, and the whole package of having to feed it the fix is re-established. It's the law of addiction and it can't be fooled with, outsmarted, or outwitted. It is what it is..and we have to respect it, and abide by it....that is to not smoke.

Gabrielle...others can tell their story of chantix experience....my main concern is that you know whether you use it or not....you can and will stay quit. Wink Smile

Big Hugs Girl!!! I hope you get some rest soon!
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: October 23, 2008 6:45 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

....and talk to your doctor!!! I too suspect they are medication side effects. But "just stopping" may have its own issues...so talk to the doctor that prescribed it. Please...don't let it continue to affect you in negative ways - and don't let it be a lousy excuse for thinking about returning to the chains of nicotine addiction...freedom is worth the effort...stay free!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
gabrielle

Quit Date:
October 14, 2008

PostPosted: October 23, 2008 4:27 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I have decided to stop the Chantix. What a horrible medication! I seriously felt delusional from the side effects and lack of sleep. I didn't take the morning dose and I already feel a bit better (although I spent the entire day in bed... what a waste of a day!). No way, no how am I going to start smoking again just because I go off this stupid med. I knew in the first place that there is no easy way to do this. I'm the one who got myself addicted, I am the one who will quit. I just wanted to take the edge off during those terrible 1st days, and kind of saw it as a bit of an insurance policy. Anything to help is great. But, now I am going to do it on my own and be successful. Damn. I guess I am kind of mad. Multibillion dollar tobacco industry to multibillion dollar drug industry. They are both BS. Uggghhh.

===To anyone who has taken Chantix successfully and liked it: I am simply writing about my personal experiences and feelings about it. I in no way mean to offend anyone's quit experience!!! However anyone can quit successfully is a great thing!===
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 23, 2008 4:57 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Gabrielle,

Yeah, it is BS isn't it. Wink But, bottomline, you are free!!! And that is something to celebrate and yooohoooo about. Glad you spent the day resting and recooping. Yea, day down the drain, but you needed the sleep. Focus that anger towards the addiction and you'll be amazed how much resolve it gives. Proud of you...you are kicking the addiction's butt!! Cool

Keep posting and sharing....you are doing great.

Hugs!

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
erickg23

Quit Date:
February 6, 2012

PostPosted: December 3, 2008 12:52 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is interesting cause I had a buddy of mine and he LOVED it. Said it worked out great. He was a heavy smoker and when he told me he had taken that Chantrix and was smoke free I was pretty amazed.

Gab I think you had a pretty bad reaction to the meds. I take a lot of Suppliments with working out and all so i do a TON of research before I put anything into my body, and one thing I have learned is that everyone is different. When one person takes something they may have no side effects where another person may not. I have expericed that first hand taking stuff.

But SOOO GLAD to hear that you quit. Sometimes we need the help weither its the Patch, Gum, or a Pill...but your done and your free and that should give you some very nice deep sleeps nights.

Take Care,

Erick
Gidget

Quit Date:
March 14, 2008

PostPosted: December 4, 2008 1:36 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful, Gabrielle!
I weened off of the stuff pretty quickly. I hated it because of all of the wacko things you describe. I still don't smoke, which is terrific! Make sure you talk to your doctor and even a second one. Be careful with that stuff.

Gidget

My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny.
-Elaine Maxwell
gabrielle

Quit Date:
October 14, 2008

PostPosted: December 4, 2008 5:51 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input Erick and Gidget. I posted under Erick's article also, but I did stop taking the Chantix and quit smoking on my own. That drug is seriously scary!! My quit date was October 14 and I feel great, and did it without Chantix. Woo hoo! WOO HOO!!!!!!!! Very Happy
pinkpearl

Quit Date:
June 30, 2007

PostPosted: December 4, 2008 9:32 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

gabrielle wrote:
Thanks for the input Erick and Gidget. I posted under Erick's article also, but I did stop taking the Chantix and quit smoking on my own. That drug is seriously scary!! My quit date was October 14 and I feel great, and did it without Chantix. Woo hoo! WOO HOO!!!!!!!! Very Happy

great job!!
stick around and let us know how your doing from time to time!

My avatars name is moon ray
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: