quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Chantix tales and confusion ...symptoms and jeebus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SarahTeechz

Quit Date:
January 22, 2009

PostPosted: January 13, 2009 11:49 PM    Post subject: Chantix tales and confusion ...symptoms and jeebus Reply with quote

I began taking Chantix on...gosh, my mind is such a fog...December 27th, and have continued to take it daily. My quit date was supposed to be January 1st, but I've yet to completely quit smoking. I guess I'm down to two cigarettes per day. One in the car on the way to work, the other on the way home.

I don't really want to smoke at all once I'm home...but the car thing continues to haunt me.

I've been reading posts and reading about Chantix. I've seen lots of people really displeased with pharmaceutical companies, etc. I've also seen lots of people who really appreciated Chantix on their quitting journey.

I've noticed nausea within the first ten minutes of taking the pill, which tends to go away for me within a half hour, and is much improved when I don't take the pill on an empty stomach.

I'd have to also say I think probably that Chantix has made it so that lessening and approaching the thought of quitting hasn't been horrific.

I do have some concerns, but I'm not sure that they are related to Chantix, or merely a withdraw symptom of decreasing nicotine stimulation.

I'm...so....exhausted. I am so tired at work. I'm a teacher, and tired just doesn't cut it. The entire day I feel like I could pass out on my desk and sleep. Then I get home, still tired, pop on the computer, and think yes...I could be in bed by 7:00 pm if I just got up and went.

So I do. I get up, go into the bedroom, and then am wide awake until close to midnight. I'm tired, yet have difficulty falling asleep, which makes me more tired. Repeat cycle tomorrow. (I've noticed some more intense dreams too, but nothing horrifically nightmarish or unbearable.)

I've got nothing against people who choose to quit cold turkey. Nor do I think they are any better for choosing to do so. I don't think the pharmaceutical companies are necessarily evil incarnate, but surely they are a profit organization. (Now I'm rambling...very sorry) However a person chooses to quit is totally yeehaw for me.

So, now to the point...(which should have come long ago)

Is anyone else unbearably exhausted? Is this normal? Is this withdrawel? If so, how do I teach and feel this way every single day, keeping kids motivated, etc, without just choosing another stimulant, caffeine, etc...to replace nicotine?

Thanks for any ideas or insight.

Sarah
jimotter

Quit Date:
November 19, 2003

PostPosted: January 14, 2009 3:51 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarah
Welcome to woofmang and your desire to quit. First I will tell you that I am one of those that went and support Cold Turkey. So, I really know nothing on the use of the meds. I tried the gum and the patch before and, well, I never did quit smoking using them. For your question about being tired, yeah, I think it is just part of the lack of nicotine in our bodies when we first are quitting. Everyone I know on the boards suffered the tired feelings. It may take some time once you have quit completely, but you body will adjust to surviving without nicotine. My advise, put em down all together and get free.
Jim

Never give up on yourself. We are so worth the effort. Smoking creates nothing but misery for us and those around us. Smoking is socially unacceptable everywhere we go.

Last edited by jimotter on January 15, 2009 12:50 AM; edited 1 time in total
Gidget

Quit Date:
March 14, 2008

PostPosted: January 14, 2009 8:07 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Jim. Don't prolong the pain, put down the cigarettes. I did take Chantix and I was more tired than I remember my whole life. I think it's a few things that contribute to that tiredness. Chantix will not break your habits for you. You must choose to stop smoking. I used a quarter dose of Chantix for about 5 weeks to help me through the beginning. I did quit on the 8th day. I chose not to smoke and 10 months later, I continue to choose not to smoke, drug free. Come here often! These boards are what pulled me through the tough times. Connecting with others was far more beneficial than the Chantix.

My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny.
-Elaine Maxwell
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: January 14, 2009 10:04 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to woofmang and congrats on your decision to quit smoking. Like Jim, I went cold turkey. Using a quit smoking aid would have just made me addicted to the aid.

The symptoms you're having could be related to Chantix but could also be the absence of nicotine in your system. If you're concerned, check with your doctor or pharmacist.

Again, welcome to woofmang. Hope to see you here often.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 14, 2009 10:28 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

like many of us, i tried pretty much all the quit aids that were available to me in my 35-year career as a serial quitter - from pills to patches to gums to hypnosis - and what i found was that the aids were just a diversion (a very expensive diversion, in some cases).

it's a little like using training wheels when you're learning to ride a bike; eventually, dad takes the training wheels off, pushes you down the sidewalk, and you're on your own. sometimes you fall and scrape your knee, but you get back on the bike, and eventually you find your balance.

it's not a question of right or wrong - everybody has to find their own way - but in the final analysis, the only way to quit smoking is to quit smoking.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
SarahTeechz

Quit Date:
January 22, 2009

PostPosted: January 15, 2009 9:38 PM    Post subject: Thanks for the responses! Reply with quote

Thank you all very much for responding. I have a bit of an update.

My quit date is January 24th. (Irrelevant info, yes, but I've had such a tough time saying it, I decided I'd type it into as many posts as I can until I'm comfortable with it.)

I read in a previous post on the site that I should go to another site (ffsonline). I began working the modules there and am gaining some momentum and LOTS of information.

Thank you all for the wonderful support. It truly is appreciated.

Thanks,
Sarah
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: January 16, 2009 8:52 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarah....the FFS program works - so work the program! You CAN quit!!!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
marg

Quit Date:
October 10, 2008

PostPosted: January 16, 2009 9:38 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on champix and its working for me i take one a day so its lasted me a long time I like you felt very tired, would even fall asleep at my desk for about 10mins, for the first couple of months i had the best sleep at night, I ever had. lately im not sleeping well, im tired but only sleep for about an hour wake and sleep, wake, this goes on all night Im not sure its the champix (could be my age. Im waking very hot) I tend to adjust what time of evening i take a tablet, but for me Its working. I still sometimes want to smoke I need to clear that out of my head, I cant explain why. I have noticed so many positives, that i dont want to go backwards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: